Search
Notices

climbout

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 06:48 AM
dan.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climbout

is it normal for the climbout to be better if i set the max position to 92% as opposed to 100%? seems wierd that at full throttle it bogs halfway up but when i back it off a little it keeps climbing, anyone else find this? its a raptor 30v2 with tt39 with about 5 gallons through it,max pitch 9deg. thanks.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:09 AM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: climbout

I recently read a post very similar to yours. I also have a little sluggishness on max throttle but I have not shown it much concern. I know that I am not to lean so I tend to be happy with that It does sound like its a bit rich.

Heres a clip from the post I read...

"I have a couple of questions about tuning an engine. I have an os32sxh in my raptor 30. it has about 4 gallons through it. I have the high speed needle about 2 turns out (from all the way in), and the mixture control screw is where it came from the factory. Today after doing some full power climbouts to about 100-150 feet (im afraid to get any higher), and flying around a bit, when i landed, the engine seemed to take a while to come back to idle.

Do i need to richen the mixture control screw to fix this?

Also, how does one know when the high speed needle is properly, or close to properly set? With the high speed needle 2 full turns out, there is a decent amount of smoke, and during full power climbouts the engine bogs down. After messing with the high speed needle, i turned it in 12 to 16 clicks (4 at a time), and i noticed a definite difference in climbout power, and less sag. I guess the question is just how far do you go? I don't want to end up running it lean and ruining it."

Response given...

"Two turns out on the high speed needle sounds a little rich on an OS 32. They normally run around one turn, but fuel and altitude may effect that somewhat. You can continue to lean out the high speed needle as long as you see good smoke on full power climb out, normally. When the smoke starts to disappear, you have gotten to the point of almost too lean. Do the leaning about two clicks at a time until the smoke gets thin and then richen until it comes back and that is where you should run it, and no leaner.

The idle mixture is easier to set. Start the engine and listen to the idle as you remove the glow plug battery. If the engine slows down significantly, it is rich at idle. Lean it till the engine slows just a little when you remove the battery."

Me Again ....... I know this is not your engine but maybe it will help a little. I'm going to go in a click or two at a time today on mine and see if there is a significant difference, while still maintaining my smoke trail.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:17 PM
RaptorCam

I turned in on my high end needle today about 3 clicks. I still got good smoke. The bog at full throttle is gone and climbout improved drastically. Give it a shot.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:50 AM
dan.

yeah i always seem to be paranoid about over leaning coz i had to fit a new piston ring in this engine after i let it get too hot before.
it seems the only way i can get a good rate of climb is to run the engine at around 150-170 degrees centigrade which i think is way to hot,or run high nitro % which costs a fortune. sometimes it feels like im doing more tuning than flying lol.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:53 PM
RaptorCam

I'm the same way. Even though I got that boost of climbout I richened it back up a bit. I don't have a way to measure the temp. I need to invest in a temp guage. Another post suggested putting your finger in the center of the backplate and you should be able to hold your finger there without it burning. Well that all depends on how long I keep my finger there Its always cool enough to keep it there for a few seconds but then it starts getting quite uncomfortable.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
ptarp

If you can hold it on the backplate for 5 seconds then it is about 170f, for only 3 then about 210f. Obviously this depends on your pain tolerance, but its usually in the ballpark for me. I've tested these methods against my onboard temp guage btw.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:38 AM
RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: ptarp

If you can hold it on the backplate for 5 seconds then it is about 170f, for only 3 then about 210f. Obviously this depends on your pain tolerance, but its usually in the ballpark for me. I've tested these methods against my onboard temp guage btw.
What temp guage? Looking for suggestions on a good one to get for mine. Do they add much weight?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the little temp guage from Heliproz. It is $30, doesn't weigh anything, and seems pretty accurate. My friend has one of the lazers you point at it and it was way off, but I am guessing it was his batteries being close to dead. Those things are usually pretty close.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:18 PM
TuNeD PiPe

I have an O.S 32SX in my Shuttle and it runs at about 100 degrees celsius.Definitely get one of those Infra-red thermometers, I personally think it is a really good investment it can end up saving your engine.I have the Duratrax Flashpoint one which doesn't mount on the helicopter itself but you just aim it at the engine head,I hover for a couple of minutes and then land and quickly check the temperature and it gives you a quite accurate measurement.It drops maybe 5degrees by the time you actually measure the temp. but that is not too critical.You mainly want to see the difference when changing settings or comparing to other engine temperatures.
You can get this Duratrax Flashpoint thermometer from Tower Hobbies for about $30.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
dan.

is there a big difference between 5%and 15% nitro apart from the cost? would i get a noticable gain in power?
it flys really nice just seems to struggle when im doing loops and other stuff where i use full throttle.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Other then the obvious nitro content, your engine will likely idle smoother and start a little easier. There will be a slight power gain but I dunno if you'll actually notice it. And due to the higher nitro content, will run cooler aswell. How much cooler depends on engine settings.

I run 30% in my Raptor 30 V2 (O.S. .32 SX) and at +13.5° and full throttle it'll climb forever with little effort.

(Holy crap!!!. this is the first time I actually measured my max pos pitch... DAMN!. I was thinkin MAYBE 9°. Perhaps I should turn that down a bit)
Old 09-26-2004, 05:12 AM
dan.

seems that if i dont just punch the collective fast but move it smoothly and fast i get a pretty good climbout rate. maybe i need to alter the way i fly it and stop expecting it to climb like in g2 lol.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:23 AM
ptarp

ORIGINAL: Dreddi

I run 30% in my Raptor 30 V2 (O.S. .32 SX) and at +13.5° and full throttle it'll climb forever with little effort.

(Holy crap!!!. this is the first time I actually measured my max pos pitch... DAMN!. I was thinkin MAYBE 9°. Perhaps I should turn that down a bit)
You will certainly have to be VERY careful with that much pitch. It will be fine if you simply punch max collective. BUT, if you are doing any 3D and punch full collective AND full cyclic, you WILL bog the engine bad and probably fall like a rock.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Worry not, its been readjusted [8D]

I didnt pay to see this thing stall the rotor
Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 AM
AfricanBreeze

Hi Guys,

I have a Raptor 30 V2 with an OS 37 motor. I just got a tool that I can use to measure the temperature with and wanted to know what the right temperature would be to run the motor at.

Thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 12:04 PM
shyner

30 size <= 230°F (112°C?)
50 size <= 210°F (99°C)
greater <= 200°F (95°C?)

(from heliproz reviews of the Venom onboard thermometer)

Shyner