Notices

Newbie question on a raptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Synapse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question on a raptor

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to these forums and even newer to RC helis, so I need a TON of help. For right now though, I'll stick with just one question. Here goes... I had a picollo pro about 1.5 years ago and gave up on it due to mechanical challenges with the tiny size of the heli, but now I want to really get into the sport/hobby a little more seriously. I've done a fair amount of reading about what people recommend for a first heli and I've pretty much decided on the Raptor 50. If this is a horribly bad decision in anyone's mind, please let me know. Anyway, I just came across one for sale that looks pretty good, but I'm a little uncertain about the gyro-servo combination and the engine. Here are the specs on the heli:

- Raptor 50 v2
- Thunder Tiger .50 engine - not sure of the specific model
- JR 500T Gyro with JR 8700G servo on the tail (this is an analog servo per jrradios.com)
- (4) JR 811 digital servos for cyclic, throttle, and collective
- JR 649 9-channel PCM reciever
- JR 1200mah reciever battery
- 600mm carbon blades

He is also throwing in quite a few misc. parts. The heli has less than one gallon of gas through it, has never been crashed, and is supposedly in good flying condition. Asking price is around $750. Do you guys have any advice on whether or not that is a good price for the equipment included? Also, what are your thoughts on the gyro/tail servo?

Thanks very much for any info you can give a newbie,

-syn
Old 10-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Newbie question on a raptor

For a little more, I'd build one myself from scratch. If you're starting,, I suggest you order a kit. Once you crash, what are you going to do?? U'r not gonna know what goes where. So that's my opinion on that..

Gyro and tail servo, I'm a futaba guy so I don't know anything about the JR stuff.

The rest looks ok. Except for the Carbon blades. Take those off and put woodies on until you sucessfully fly the heli..

Theres tons more stuff that can be said but i'll let the rest of the people chime in on that.

-Tomi
Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Synapse

Thanks tomi,

I had actually been debating building it myself for that very reason. Spending additional money REALLY sucks though. ...I think I'd still like to hear what everyone else has to say.

-Syn
Old 10-06-2005, 06:48 AM
WhtBronco

Not a bad deal if it has as little time on it as the owner claims. The gyro and servo I have some decent things about,. and while I really like JR I do use a Futaba gy401/9254 combo for gyro and servo.

The 649 Rx is great and I use it. The JR DS811 servos are more than adequate until you really start throwing the heli around. I am now doing some flying that requires a lot from my servos, flips and such, and am replacing the 811 servos on collective pitch, and both cyclic with Futaba 9252's. The closest servo JR has to the 9252 is slower and about $30 each more.

The TT engines seem to be hit or miss. My TT50 has been flawless now for 43 flights, but others can't get them tuned. So you never which you are gonna get.

I agree on geting some wood blades to start with. I'm sure you could find some in good condition used for a good price. Heck mine only have 5 flights on them and are perfect. Try to find some local cheap, or just buy a new set. The carbon blades are very nice, but you won't notice any difference until you are able to hover and get into forward flight.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:05 AM
HELI-JOKER
My Feedback: (21)

DEFINITELY build it from a kit-forget the TT engine unlkess you like to gamble-I fly only CF blades,I have no time to be screwing around with balancing blades-just keep your training gear on till you know what you're doing,dont go beyond your ability without them.and BUY A SIM!!!check this out:
http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...=101450PROgood luck
Joe
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The R50 is a great heli but you really should shell out a few bucks and build one yourself. The person that built it may or may not have used locktite on critical parts, you will have a better idea how to fix it when it breaks, the list goes on and on.

I'll also second getting a 401/9254 over the 500T, I've had both I prefer the 401.

Stick with OS engines, you'll be happy you did. The OS50 is fine in a Raptor the Hyper is even better but costs more and uses more fuel.

That being said, that deals not a rip off but its not a "god thats so good I GOTTA buy it" either.

Check out heliproz, they have great prices on combos and their customer service is some of the best in the business.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Synapse

Thanks for all the info guys! I tend to be more of a futaba guy too, which is the whole reason I was questioning the gyro-T/R combo. You guys just firmed that part up for me. As for the engine... again I'm an OS guy (from my airplane days), which was why I was asking about the unfamiliar brand. I think I'm going to do as you guys suggested and just build my own:

- raptor 50 v2
- OS 50 SX-H
- GY401/Futaba 9254
- Futaba 9252 servos everywhere else (if I can afford it)
- JR 649 PCM Reciever (already using a JR TX... may as well match)
- Not sure on the battery pack yet... any suggestions?
- etc. etc. etc...

As for the SIM, its already on the way. Now about that Pro Package raptor at heliproz, are all of those upgrades going to make building this thing more difficult? I went the "upgraded" route on the picollo pro and it drove me nuts trying to use the instructions that came with the heli to install the aftermarket parts. I don't want that same thing to happen here. Any suggestions on whether or not to go with the "bells and whistles" version from heliproz? Click here to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks very much guys,

-syn
Old 10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
BarracudaHockey

The upgrade packs they sell are nice but they include all the stock parts. I'd build it stock to begin with.

You'll love it with 9252s and your making a good choice by not going cheap.

2 things I would do is replace the plastic washout base with a metal one and the tail rotor hub with part number pv0499
Old 10-06-2005, 09:40 AM
WhtBronco

I have a few batteries from NoBS Batteries and they have all been the best I've ever had in 23 years of models. Check out [link]http://www.hangtimes.com/nobsbatteries.html[/link]. You'll be pleased I am sure. I'm using the 1950mah 4.8v NiMH battery in my Raptor 50 and a 1600mah 9.6v NiMH in my 8103 Tx.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 AM
BarracudaHockey

If your into spending money goto http://www.duratlitebatteries.com

I can fly all weekend on the 4000mah li-ion. I also get the same 5.1 volts to the servos from the first flight till the last but that is definately a nice to have not need to have battery setup.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:02 AM
WhtBronco

The 4000mah lithium would be nice. I have more than enough for a typical days worth of flying on the 1950mah though. Course I rarely get more than 3 flights in a day. I think I could get 5-6 flights before recharging on the 1950.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Synapse

How many cells in that NoBS pack chris?

-syn
Old 10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
WhtBronco

Just 4 cells. The gy401 gyro can't handle more than a 4 cell unless it's regulated to under 6v. I bought the 1950mah 4cell flat pack for my R50 V2 based on Steve's suggestion at Hangtimes Hobby. Below is the link and pack info for the Rx battery I have. He now has it listed under the Giant Scale Rx and Ignition packs section, but that’s the same battery and the description mentions helis. It caused no balance issues for me either. 1 click of up cyclic trim and it was good. FWIW, I have never paid for additional shipping from them and always have my batteries in 2 days or less. A couple times they arrived the next day which amazed me.

[link]http://www.hangtimes.com/id19.html[/link]

Sanyo HR-4/5FAUP 1950 NiMH 4 & 5 Cell Rx & Ignition Packs

These batteries are far superior to the stock batteries I have received with radio systems. The wire and covering is very heavy gauge in comparison. They also assembled using better techniques for about the same price as stock replacements from LHS.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:44 PM
johnboyrc

Build the Raptor from a kit, and go to www.raptortechnique.com and download the build manual from there. It makes everything clear and you know specifically what needs to be done where. Using it, I built my raptor in a couple days, began on Friday night, and set the radio up by Sunday noon.
As you have probably read in other threads, the Futaba 401 gyro with 9254 servo is pretty much the way to go. As for Transmitter/servos, it's more about what you prefer.
I also went the os 50 route, and glad I did. Runs really nice, no trouble at all.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Synapse

So besides the site listed earlier that has the combo deal with the raptor 50 kit + upgrades, are there any other distributors/packages that you guys would recommend? If not, I'm probably going to go with one of those kits. Its more money than I wanted to spend, but at least that way I'll have the "bells and whistles" to put on it later. Do you guys know if those kits from heliproz come with the stock wood blades as well as the carbon ones?

-Syn
Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Tomi

Dont spend your money on upgrades. Spend it on fuel. The upgrades are not gonna make you fly better.

I have been flying mine since may without a problem. It's all stock. I'm slooooooowly getting upgrades for it. But only the parts that are really needed to be upgraded. There's a thread on RunRyder talking about metal upgrades. 99.9% of the guys say it's just for looks and it makes your heli heavier.

All Raptor 50's that comes from Ace's Hobby comes with TT 600mm carbons. Save it for later. Use the woodies.

-Tomi
Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Synapse

Nevermind... too late. I bought the HyperRaptor from Heliproz, that really hit the bank account hard. Oh well, thats what God made overtime for.

-Syn
Old 10-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Synapse

Agreed, upgrades "usually" are just for looks, minus the limited few that actually add value. The package deal from heliproz that included the Hyper wasn't much more ($120) than just buying the Raptor kit + OS 50 Hyper alone, so I figured what the hell. If I suck at flying it with all the stock parts, I'll put on all the goodies, hang it from the ceiling, and tell ppl I'm the best heli pilot in the state.

-Syn
Old 10-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Tomi

You purchased a good combo. Let us know when you get it..

Bling Bling Away!!!

-Tomi
Old 10-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Synapse

So what about tools? Calibration guages, special ball link pliers, etc? What do I really need and what is just BS?

-Lee
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 PM
WhtBronco

Well you need to get a pitch gauge and a set of ball link pliers, a ball link sizing tool is also nice to have as it reduces the resistance in the ball link joints. Ball allen wrenches are also very nice to have. The majority of other tools you will have to have are more common, various sizes of flat and Philips screw drivers. You might consder looking into the beginners tool package Heliproz has/had. I haven't looked at it in a awhile, but in the past they had a tool kit with most of this in it for a fairly reasonable price.

After 1 year of flying helis I finally ordered an optical tach. This is not required, but in order to set headspeed exactly it is. An airplane tach will not do as it just wouldn't be safe to use.

What are you planning to use for a radio system? You need at least a 6 channel and 7-9 channels is recommended.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Tomi

Ball link pliers are good if you can pop them out by hand. I just use a pair of needle nose pliers and pop it out.

The kit should come with tools. But I'd rather use a tool with a handle. After building the heli, my hands started hurting from friction on the metal screw drivers that are supplied.

have fun!

-Tomi
Old 10-07-2005, 06:54 AM
WhtBronco

My R50 kit came with no tools at all. I supplied each and every tool I used. Using ball link pliers will put less stress on the links. You don't want to stress the ball links because if they break in flight your in for a wild ride.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:26 AM
BarracudaHockey

Ya I don't think the Rappy even comes with the little set of allen wrenches.

Chris is right, ball link pliers, hardened hex drivers are nice and heliproz has a set with all the sizes you need. Ball link sizing tool is nice for nice smooth controls, don't pinch them with pliers like some people will sugggest, do it right. You will for sure need a pitch gauge. Any of the slap on the blade type are fine since the Raptor has 1:1 flybar mixing you don't need a fancy flybar lock or anything.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:13 AM
johnboyrc

The raptor kit does have allen wrenches included, 3 little L shaped ones. Didn't find mine until I was about done building, their packaged with all the parts. Keep them, and you'll need two allen wrenches the same size to tighten the bolts on the feathering shaft. Heliproz has there basic tool box for about $100, and has most all the basic tools that you'll need. If you have tools from other stuff you've done, get the tools you don't have that are in the heliproz toolset and you should be set. You need some loctite and dielectric grease for assembly as well, -just a little side note.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.