Search
Notices

RAPTOR 30V2 ENGINE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 AM
BILL J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAPTOR 30V2 ENGINE PROBLEM

HELLO I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE...I BOUGHT A RAPTOR 30V2 KIT AND HAVE BEEN HOOVERING IT FINE FOR THE PAST 5 MONTHS,,, A REAL BLAST..BUT YESTERDAY WHILE FLYING IT MOTOR FROZE UO AND CAME DOWN,, I HAVE PRO.39H THAT CAME WITH THE KIT.. I TOOK MOTOR APART AND THE FOUND THE ROD THE PUSHES THE PISTON AROUND WAS ALL TORN UP AND IT WOULD GET STUCK ON THE SIDE... WHAT HAPPENED??CAN THAT ROD BE REPLACED?? DO I HAVE TO BUY A NEW MOTOR?? IF SO WHAT KIND SHOULD I GET?? I AM TROUBLED WITH THIS..ANY HELP I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.. THANKS
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
rjm1982

Default RE: RAPTOR 30V2 ENGINE PROBLEM

First, kill the caps-lock, please...

2nd, while I personally have never had any problem with my TT39 and would not change it for no reason...

Once it breaks, as your has, just buy an OS37 ... Its more reliable and has more power than the tt39, so go ahead with it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:11 AM
BILL J

thanks for the info ... i guess i will be a new motor ..
Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM
jez33

hard to be precise without having the engine in front of me but sounds like you likely had a bearing breakup and then jam the piston which can then snap the conrod...

if it is that which has happened then its likely you'll need a new piston n liner,new bearings and conrod...you might aswell just buy a new engine in which case....

there are 2 or 3 common reasons for a conrod snapping... over flooding an engine n starting it when flooded,, running to week on the mixture which can cause predetonation and break down of lubrication..then bearing break up ...cannt remember any other reasons at this moment..

if the tt engine is kaput then the os37 is a very good engine to recommend
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Over reving can also snap a rod.
In your case this is not likely, but what is your headspeed.
With winter approaching (heck it's here) and cooler temps it is normal to have to open the needle valve some.
I large temp swing can need as much as a quarter to a half turn on the needle.
Down there in FL it is still pretty warm out.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
misileman
My Feedback: (8)

Something else that could be a factor is the type of fuel that is used. If your using a fuel specific for heli's with the proper oil content, you should be ok and not consider it a problem. If you have been using an airplane or car type fuel then the oil content and type might of been a factor of the engine failure.
Nitro content is not as hard on engines as the lower oil content. Heli's fuels usually range from 18% to 23% and I've known may heli flyers to add even more oil to their fuel. I prefer Wildcat Curtis Youngblood 30% nitro with 23% oil which is almost a quart to every gallon of burnable fuel content. So the oil is critical. I also recommend fuel with synthetic oils which have advantages over castor type oils in helicopter applications.

Just something to consider so as to not have another engine failure.

You won't go wrong with the OS37SZ, great engines, got one myself.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:55 AM
BILL J

thanks for all the info...i am running a nitro fuel...18%..it sems that the bearing is ok... but not worth the headache,,i bought a new os37 yesterday i will be installing it today..the guy at the hobby show said it might be running to lean just like you guys said... i sure do appreciate all the good advise,,i will let you know how it goes,,,with the os 37 should the oil content be higher??>is 18% enough??
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 AM
BILL J

thanks for all the help... i put motor in yestersday and ran a half gallon of fuel throught it breaking it in..already i can tell it has more power.. i am going to go fly today.. but so far no problem,,, it seems i had to cut the frame a little for the throttle,, but looking forward to flying today.. thanks again
Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Nitrobuzzard
My Feedback: (11)

What fuel are you running? I use Cool Power High-Performance Heli 30% nitro in my R30. I'm not sure of the oil content but it does say "heli fuel" on the label.