Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

servo mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

servo mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 PM
joco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo mounting

Bought a older plane that a fella had and he moved the throttle servo all the way up to the engine box and gutted the inside of the fuselodge, where the throttle servo sat, to cut down on weight ,now i want to move it back ,my question is what kind of and or size wood do i use to make the tray where it sets? ive got some balsa sheeting but it seems awful flimsy to hold a vibrating throttle servo!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: servo mounting

hi
you could use some 1/8 plywood and double it where the screws come though the servo holes, goodluck rye
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: rye

hi
you could use some 1/8 plywood and double it where the screws come though the servo holes, goodluck rye
This will work well. Remember to harden the screw holes with thin CA. Drill your pilot hole, install the screw to make threads in the wood, then remove it. Add a few drops of CA in the hole. This will make the threads hard and less likely to strip out.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

IMO, balsa is not strong enough for servo mounting!

If you have to start from scratch with the servo mounting, 1/8 ply will do the job, as mentioned above.

Make "rails" from square hardwood (not balsa) and epoxy them to the fuselage sides. Then make your new servo tray from the 1/8 ply and either epoxy or screw it down onto the rails. If you are going to use screws, drill pilot holes and lube the screws with bar soap, to keep the wood (rail) from splitting.

Just a suggestion on one method of servo tray installation.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: safeTwire

IMO, balsa is not strong enough for servo mounting!

If you have to start from scratch with the servo mounting, 1/8 ply will do the job, as mentioned above.

Make ''rails'' from square hardwood (not balsa) and epoxy them to the fuselage sides. Then make your new servo tray from the 1/8 ply and either epoxy or screw it down onto the rails. If you are going to use screws, drill pilot holes and lube the screws with bar soap, to keep the wood (rail) from splitting.

Just a suggestion on one method of servo tray installation.
I agree that hardwood should be used if possible and that balsa should not be used alone. Backing (or topping) either with 1/8" ply will give the needed strength.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

There is more than one way to skin a cat,,these are good suggestions, but a picture of where you'd like to mount it would be nice to give you an exact opinion
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

Yep...a picture will indeed be a great help!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

There's no need to build a "tray". If you just glue a couple 1/8 or 3/16 inch hardwood pieces, 1/4 inch wide (wide enough for the servo screws to have something to bite), and just put rails across the fuselage where you want the servo to go. Use a couple pieces of balsa triangle stock on top and bottom of the rail, and you'll be good to go. You can either glue it between plywood sheeting if already in the plane, or use the fuselage formers. Everything that isn't directly supporting the servo is just extra weight.

Brad