Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Skylites in Roof

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Skylites in Roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skylites in Roof

Hi Guys,
Forgive me as I know this is not model related....kind-of....I do store my planes in here.
I have a old metal building that has a couple green fiberglass sky lights that lets sun light in.

They are getting very thin with the glass cloth showing.
Next summer do I want to just brush some liquid fiberglass resin on top after power washing.
Or do I want to use this from Amazon.....East Coast Resin
EPOXY RESIN CRYSTAL CLEAR 1 Gallon Kit. FOR SUPER GLOSS COAT...
This would be epoxy ontop of fiberglass????
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would just get new panels that are the same as the old ones. They are not that expensive. I would not spend good money on bad. I just filled in three skylites in a family room and a sunroom because of leaks. Steel lasts longer, but it is nice to have a bit of light.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 AM
MX240

Yep, That was the first thing I tried was buying replacements from Chief Buildings. The company is still local and in business but they don't press out that type anymore. I had this building put up in 1965 and they no longer make that ridge or corrugations to match any more. Back then for a 40X72' was $7500 with concrete Now, just for laying ontop a new white tin roof...$10,000.
Before paying that I am going to brush something on the sky lights. Can't be as hard as building a airplane.
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-26-2015, 10:38 AM
AwwNaww

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience (which does not include skylights) epoxy generally sticks well to polyester fiberglass, given adequate surface prep. I think that your plan will work. Good luck and don't fall off the roof.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:28 PM
MX240

Thanks for that info.
I will try not to fall off as I have too many airplanes left to fly.
Thanks Guys
Jim
Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Jennifer Curtis

Take the panels off. Brush on whatever
coating you wish. Reinstall them with the
new coating on the inside.

Jenny
Old 11-28-2015, 06:37 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would get another estimate. I got a whole building 24' x 48' for $21,000 with no concrete floor but with labour. The thinner steel wall panels are only $1 a sq. ft. There are acrylic and polycarbonate clear panels ribbed, or corrugated now, as well as the old fiberglass stuff. Then you will be good for another 50 years instead of a patch.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If panels are unavailable, I think that it would be worth the 50 bucks to try the epoxy sealer.

I'd use a wire brush to remove the flakey stuff and apply the clear sealer per directions.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:15 PM
johnboyrc

I found clear panels for replacing older fiberglass panels at a Menards (like home depot). Weren't expensive either. Old panels were worn around the fastners, tried sealing around them with silicon and adding new fastners, worked for a while... Check with other suppliers, it's worth a little trouble to get the right panels.
THe clear panels let more light through too.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:46 AM
MX240

Good idea John.
Might be worth a try at both of those stores rather then the building manufacture that no longer stocks that style ridge.
I would think the building company might have sourced these skylites out for someone else to make for them.
Then maybe that skylite business went out of business and that is when the building company (Chief) bought panels from someone else.