Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

covering a bi-plane wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

covering a bi-plane wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
abcool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering a bi-plane wing

Well I am looking for instructions, I have an idea on how but as I have not covered a wing like this so seeking advice.
I am covering the wings on my bi-plane (hog bipe) and wondering the best way to deal with the strut mounts sticking up.

I am sure I am over thinking it but I have looked for videos or instructions and not found anything. So how do others do this
using uktakote if there is a difference

Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My way is to put a small square of covering on those spots first, maybe 2 inches square assuming there's wood all around the strut connection. Then when you cover the wing, you can just get the hole close enough and not stress about it.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:51 AM
abcool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, that is what I was thinking not much wood in that area as 2rib thickness but hopefully enough.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you'll post a picture we can probably help you more.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:15 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Add wood around the tab,
Glue some 1/4 inch sticks or other scrap on the ribs so make a surface at least an inch square or so.. Sand it to mach the rib shape. You can even shape them before hand, and then glue them on. You can then either cover around the tab with a small piece as mentioned above. Or cut two small holes in the covering sheet for the wing... that match the distance between the tabs.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:44 PM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I covered the wings on my own Hog Bipe not too long ago. I don't have photos of each step, but I used the following approach and seemed to work quite well:

1) I cut a rectangular hole out of some scrap monokote that was 1/8" wide, by the length of the mount, then I trimmed it to be just slightly larger than the width of the cap strip under the mount and ironed this down with a trim iron. I made this as tight a fit as I could against the mount. This allows me a little wiggle when stretching and shrinking the main covering piece while still having a very tight clean fit around the mount.

2) I cut a large piece of monokote for the wing half.

3) I made a mark just past the center of the wing (to allow for overlap of monokote on each half) and measure from there to the mount. Then I cut the same size rectangle as above in the large piece using the measurement just taken.

4) I positioned the monokote over the mount (poking through the rectangle cut out above) and lightly tacked it in place. I then continued to tack, stretch, and shrink as usual.

5) repeat for the other half

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00456.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	2205314  

Last edited by aymodeler; 03-14-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

aymodeler, that looks really good. Makes me wish I had a Hog Bipe.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

On a small tab like that.. I would probably just lay my film down.. get it close to position(no heat yet..).. then just slit the covering the length of the tab, where the tab protrudes... thereby letting the film contour down around the tab...then as I always do, just smooth out that covering by hand as much as I can before applying any heat anywhere... and even then not hitting that slit with heat until the near the very end.... then just simply seal it around the tab. One slit would do it I do think though... its not a monster at all..