Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Options to make Brass Nails look wood finish?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Options to make Brass Nails look wood finish?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Options to make Brass Nails look wood finish?

So Im building a 1/3 scale albatross kit, it has sweet 1/64 light ply as skin to show nice wood grain when it is sealed. But the albatross has a lot of brass nails that are visable from a distance.

I thought of buying a lot of tiny brass nails and drill the ply and guleing them in, but this would be crazy and I don't want to weaken the frame with holes/nails.

I have used silver vinyl sticker rivets on my war birds, but I cant find any in brass look.
Im trying to come up with some other ideals.

Im thinking about trying to color canopy glue and see if it will dry bronze color.

Any ideals?
Old 04-16-2020, 11:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you Email Chad,, maybe he can cut you some in Brass colored vinyl???

Also,, also,, if he's not making them any longer maybe Callie can make them??

Last edited by scale only 4 me; 04-16-2020 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (04-18-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 02:41 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, if you can find appropriately sized nails with the correct heads, I see no reason why you should have any problems with such tiny holes. I can't imagine how that would weaken the structure in any way. Also, if you think that drilling all those holes is a hassle, I feel compelled to remind you that ANY riveting/nailing process is a hassle so if you're looking for hassle free, maybe you should avoid that detail altogether.

How ever you decide to do the nail heads, I suggest you consider using a gold marker with a fine tip. This should work for you no matter technique you decide to use including adhesive vinyl dots.
The following users liked this post:
tailskid (04-18-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 11:50 AM
Doog-meister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gold paint dropped with a very fine brush?
Old 04-28-2020, 12:18 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I was pointed in this direction Best way to duplicate scale brass nails is to use small brass nails that was designed for modle boat building. This nail applicator is amazing it just helps you push them throw slightly spring loaded

I orginally ordered 1500 nails but it turned out Im going to need more like 3500 nails There very light just time consuming