Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Protecting yourself

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Protecting yourself

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:34 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Protecting yourself

Our field just just installed starting\work tables ...kinda neat..you're not bent over, everything is well within reach

If you are standing in the front...
Transmitter tray is on the left at about hip height..
Field box can be hung on a healthy piece of 2x4 sticking out the side..
Wings are held by two 2x4 padded uprights...
These things weight ton....my G62 won't pull one over..
All wood is pressure treated lumber.

About using gloves...
I use welding gloves....not that expensive, last forever and can definitely save a finger. If you get the welders mitts..they are even better..
A 22x10 Zinger is very unforgiving
Old 01-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a big cell on a long cord and drape the cell back over the wing so that IF it comes off the plug, it gets pulled backward. That was after one fell into the prop one day and just made a mess of my weekend.

As for the eggbeaters, you idea is good and your concerns ARE valid. Those thing are deadly.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:52 AM
Smoky

all good points. I'll add one. Paint the TIPS of the prop WHITE. It makes a very visible arc you can see. All my smaller props had this white tip. and I never took a hit in 10 yrs.

I recently went to a .91 Saito 4 Stroke, 3 Blade MAS 14x7 and the "MAS" Logo is on each prop. but about 2 inches from the tip. However it makes a nice visible arc when running. BUT! there is still another 2 inches of almost invisible prop arc on the outside of that, and that is what I connected with. Lucky for me. I was bringing my hand from back to front. and never got cut, only bumped.
The sharp part is the leading front edge of the prop. Did I tell you how much I like white tips?!

Rick.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:44 PM
smokingcrater

I have also thought long and hard of a method of eliminating the glow driver ( Apart from an on board one )
just put a remote glow plug on instead. I run one on every plane I have, a very small price ($10) to pay for the added convience and safey, plus it looks cool! The added weight is almost nothing, so that isn't a concern as compared to a on board glow.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:49 AM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Jim - We have rules - nobody follows them. My club is primarily comprised of half to fully deaf and blind guys. I'm not kidding. It's by far the most frightening club I've ever belonged to from a safety standpoint. No safety officer and nobody listens when safety issues are brought up. That's about all I'm going to say because I could write a couple books and probably wouldn't be welcome back to the field.
Well.. Iwouldn't WANT to go back to that field, even if its the only flying site for 100 miles. My skin remaining intact is worth the inconvenience of a VERY LONG drive.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 AM
kdheath

A good summary of all the safety advise: Figure out the safest way to do what you are doing, obtain the needed tools/supplies, etc. and then ALWAYS DO IT THE SAME WAY! Every time I change my habitual approach to starting engines, I get in a bind. And if you have a helper, be very clear about waht you are going to do and what you expect him to do.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:42 AM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Speaking of throwing propr and prop blades, how many remember the white nylon props???? Those were the worst props ever made. At the field I belonged to back then, late 70's we had so many fail that the club banned them. One guy got a blade through th shoulder. He hit the prop on landing, looked at itand it appeared fine until he started up again and it through it like a missle.
Well... I liked the wite nylon... loved to boil them well, then when flying C/L you could watch the prop change pitch with the plane's airspeed. VERY interesting. Never did shed a blade in flight... (plenty broke hitting the ground though...)
Someone is making a white nylon again now... but its not the same type nylon... Boiling this is a big "no-no"

The only way to really learn propeller safety... go to the field and have it demonstrated. You can read tips all day, and turn around and find a way to stick a hand in the prop that wasn't covered. (you can find a new way after getting it demonstrated too...)
Old 02-01-2004, 04:19 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I use a leather welding glove and restrain my plane. I fly a lot alone and I need to make sure that I am alive to enjoy spending my childrens money during my old age!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Swashbuckler
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll be doing everything I can to enjoy this hobby for the long haul and injury free.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Urbanking

higheronnitro

I also sawthat idea before. It seems alot easier as well as safer. I think once my plane projects are done I will work on one of those...
Old 02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
electricfan

i have yet to get bitten by a prop. the xacto knife was mad at me a few times but thats about all my rc injuries. oh yeah i also flooded my engine one time and took off the glow plug to drain it. i didnt want to flip the plane over like youre supposed to, so instead i stuck the starter on and i stupidly had my head over the glow plug hole. it sprayed a fine mist of nitro into my eyes. it felt good because its cold but after i washed my eyes it started to burn for a few minutes, then it was ok. i didnt get blind!
morals of the original "protecting yourself" post:
-be careful
-wear gloves
-wear eye protection
-be careful
-make the deliberate arc around the prop with your arm (i was first introduced to glow engines when i was like 11 so i was always afraid of them eating me up because they were so loud and scary looking, which made me get into the habit of "the arc". havent been bitten yet)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
kolban

Guys,
I realize that this is an older thread but the points are extremely valuable. Thanks for creating it ...

On the subject of gloves, I would like to get a set ... and someone suggested butcher/chef gloves. I did a quick internet search and found some like the following:

http://www.askthemeatman.com/cut_resistant_gloves.htm

https://www.saftgard.com/newsletter/meshordr.htm

Has anyone any comments on these vs other possibilities? I was thinking maybe some motorcycle gloves. Anyone suggest whether these will *prevent* a cut if the accident happens?

Neil
Old 03-01-2006, 08:16 AM
SamD

Check out the "Pilot Glove" B&B sells: http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page9.htm While not stainless steel mesh, it is VERY well padded and- although the description doesn't note this- has a kevlar liner (at least this what what I was told when I purchased it).
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sirrom

I think what happens is people get complacent when it comes to this hobby.

Just treat these motors with a whole lot of respect when dealing with them and for heavens sake PAY ATTENTION to what the hell you are doing.

Patrick

OH, SO RIGHT !!!!!

I've been playing this game for more than 50 yrs & I still get chomped from time to time. It isn't that I don't know better -- I surely do, but I just get complacent.

My last brain fart saw me reach through the arc of a prop from behind to flip the cover back onto a power switch receptacle. I was following all of the rules -- plane restrained -- started electrically with my bod out of the arc -- stood behind for the engine run-up & needle adjustment. Then I saw that the cover on the charging receptacle had flipped open. Since this was a flying boat, I didn't want water in the switch SO I REACHED THROUGH THE ARC OF THE PROP TO CLOSE THE COVER!!!!!!!

Those 12-4 APC hand-manglers do a fabulous job on human flesh & bone. The only thing that saved me from an amputation was the fact that I was at least smart enough to pull the throttle back to idle before I reached through the prop.

This is stupid complacency. Props scare the hell out of me, & I know from experience what they can do -- but I just didn't think.

STAY ALERT & BE TERRIFIED OF PROPS.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:49 PM
feep

All good advice. Let me add something for down the road. I got into the habit of doing things a certain way and to some extant these habits are good but there's this rule of the universe called Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong and at the worst possible time. As i got into the hobby I brought more and different planes to the field. Everyone loves for people to make a big deal about their work and you will get distracted. My resolve for next season is to wait for people to leave me alone so I can go over things properly and keep to my routine. Otherwise Murphy WILL bite you in the butt or I quess in this case you hand.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 AM
mikenlapaz

I needed a more secure starting procedure and this is what I came up with.
Posted for ideas and then made an inexpensive portable unit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_39...tm.htm#3952739
Old 03-25-2006, 10:15 AM
krazycdn

sheck out my ad for the fuse anchor and you will not have to expose yourself to the whirling blades of death
Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Waldopepperaxel

I started this hobby when chicken sticks were the norm, 35 years later I have been hit by the prop countless times, but I have to say once I bought my electric starter I don't think I have hit it ever again, I'm knocking on wood right now,, the fact is, everyone giving advice on this thread knows what their talking about, and there is no fail safe way to start these things except don't be in a hurry and make sure your completely aware of what you are doing at ALL times, and still there are no guarentees, It hurts like hell when you get bit, I know the pain all to well, there is nothing like a fresh blade slicing into the finger and stopping the prop on a 25 degree morning with Nitromethane on the fingers, Thats what they make Zap & CA for. The stupidest things happen for the dumbest reasons, it doesn't even have to be something you did, Things happen,,,, Pay attention and whenever possible be behind the plane for anything your doing after the motor is running. I have had my motor running and been behind my plane just letting it warm up, everything looks great and the prop just goes flying off the front of the engine. all of our club members have witnessed such things and have been bitten,, its part of the hobby, Expect it always and never let your guard down for 1 second.

The fear of getting hit by the prop has never kept me grounded, but it has made me very careful and respectful of the power it posseses.

Happy Flying and Safe Starting, Be affraid, be very affraid, but don't let it stop you from the great times this hobby is....
Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good work/starting table can save your fingers. If you are comfortable, and pay attention you will improve your safety. I built these for our club (I used tables very simular from another club to design mine) and also have one at home for engine testing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56271.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	432862  
Old 03-25-2006, 04:23 PM
red_guy

comeon people. look at the following moviez and you will see how to start an engine BY HAND and not get injured.

the trick is to flip in the opposite direction. then the engine will not be allowed to start until your finger is out of the propeller arc. NEVER NICKED A FINGER AND ALWAYS HAND START MY ENGINES

[link]http://www.modelism.mobilesolutions.ro/Aeromodelism/2006/Martie%2018/Andrei/[/link]
Old 03-26-2006, 12:49 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I would say this ; do not stand or position your body in the prop arc. Sometimes props have a hair-line fracture that isn't visible and a prop blade can be thrown. If someone starts an engine near you and you notice that you are in the prop arc, look away immediately and step out of the arc. You don't want a fragment in your eye.
I think the rest is fairly obvious.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Waldopepperaxel

I don't know who is hand starting that blue plane in the 1st video on Red Guy's reply, but if he had ever seen the crap I have seen in 35 years of doing this, he would never be kneeling in front of his plane to start it.

Not to criticize his or your method Red Guy, but its only a matter of time, I'm telling you right now, change that style... [&o] don't learn the hard way. Not to sound like an over protective mom or anything, but I have seen enough to have seen too much.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:39 AM
Fredsterman

I start my 2 stroke engines in nearly the same manner as Red_Guy.
Flipping the prop against the compression stroke to start it.
When I "feel" the engine kicking back. I know it will start.
But I use a chicken stick
Why[X(]
Because EVERYTHING is, or can be dangerous in the wrong hands
I was running-in a Super Tiger .45 ABC last spring, mounted in my Aircore 40, and got nailed.
The engine was surging, and my tie-down was less than perfect, and the plane flexes tied down at WOT.

I knew this, so it was entirely my fault.
I failed to fully charge my transmitter battery, my fault.
So when I tried to kill the engine with the throttle control nada[]
I reached for the high speed nedle valve, to try to stop the (surging) engine.
And lost the tip of my left index finger, which still doesn't work properly.

I'm not afraid of props, but I have learned that I had better respect them[8D]
Old 03-26-2006, 12:22 PM
the-plumber

I have the engine pictured below. It makes 2 horsepower.

I have the table saw pictured below. It makes 2 horsepower.

Just a bit of perspective about starting model airplane engines with fingers . . .

Name:	Ge94033.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	433377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24796.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	433378  
Old 03-26-2006, 06:18 PM
BCer-RCer

This is the setup I have been using to start all my glow engines. I can't take any credit for the idea or the design. I saw a photo of this setup in a Model Aviation magazine from the 1980's and basically copied it.
With the field box on the ground, I simply grab my airplane and push the spinner into the starter. After the engine starts, pull the aircraft back and the starter stops.
Hands are always behind the prop arc, no reaching around to remove the glow starter, or adjust the high speed needle.
Haven't had a prop strike to date, and feel this setup is the main reason.
I also have a photo of a model engine with a circular sawblade on it, attached to the back of the field box. Think it came out of the same Model Aviation magazine. Just a not so subtle reminder to be always alert around a running engine.
Jim

Name:	Ig10998.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	433559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91048.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	433560  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.