Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

My Brother Builds the Ultimate Trailer

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

My Brother Builds the Ultimate Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:57 AM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brother Builds the Ultimate Trailer

I just had to post one pic of this trailer in a separate post, sorry. I have looked at all the trailers in the ultimate trailer post and have to agree they are all fantastic. But since this is my brother and I have a personal attachment, I just have to show it off for him a little

He scratch built all the adjustable fuselage hangers - very very nice job.

Receivers all have there own little home behind a hinged lid with a plexi front.

The largest plane (so far) will go in the spot under the wings on the floor.

Two trickle chargers - one for the planes, one for the Tx's.

These are wired up to an all weather external 110 jack.

Radio Shack remote temp alarm - wired to go off in the house.

Heater and of course over head lights.

He will be able to go fly, clean everything up, put the planes and Tx's to bed, plug them all in, go home and park the trailer, and plug everything in at one time. Wake up refreshed and go fly

He's in the middle of the trickle charger conduit runs now.
Plans to mount a spare props rack, field box and fuel holders, etc., etc.

I AM SO JEALOUS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	47903_9312.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	29688  
Old 01-17-2003, 03:19 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

My God Man!! That is an incredible trailer, I really like the fact that you can charge everything with just 1 plug. Truly amazing!

Allan
Old 01-17-2003, 03:57 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Now that's sweet!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Default Trailer

I believe that`s the best set up i`ve seen. Realy like the adjustable plane rack. Can you post some details on it as to how they were made. Very nice. Thanks, Bob
Old 01-17-2003, 12:50 PM
GPutt33

Default Thanks Guys - I'm sure my brother will

be pleased with your comments Now that I have it posted I guess I better let him know what I did

I'll see if he will respond to your question Bob.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:22 PM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Right now I own a Jeep Cherokee and, needless to say, it gets pretty full of stuff when I go to the field. I've been considering a trailer but I'm concerned with just hanging things on the walls. What about all those bumps and pot holes?? Don't things really get jostled around in there? How is everything held in place?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:25 PM
DSJBEAN
My Feedback: (1)

Default I like it.

I'm thinking of getting a trailer in the spring. I like this layout. Very efficient looking. I like the adjustable racks and the transmitter rack
Old 01-18-2003, 02:27 AM
GPutt33

Default I informed my Brother that I had

posted a picture of his trailer, and it seemed like a few people were kind of interested in it

He said he will try to get on RCU this weekend and try to answer any questions posted and may even have a few new pics.

I took the one I posted at Xmas, so he's had a little bit of time to work on it since.

He is one busy dude

Vacinekm - Once everything is done, there will be some very soft hold downs for the wings and fuselages installed. They keep everything snug against the foam padding, so it's a pretty smooth ride for everything. He has something special in mind for holding the Tx's down.

Later

By the way, there are a few more pictures of it posted on my RC Home Page for those interested
Old 01-18-2003, 10:30 PM
T28Driver

Default Building the Trailer

Hi Guys, Thanks to my brother for all the kind comments about my trailer... and to the rest of you as well.
The trailer is a 6x10 Wells Cargo ToteSport with optional rear corner stabilizing jacks (a must-have option if you have the choice). The system that I made to hold the wings and fuselages is designed to be modular and adjustable to a variety of sizes of planes. I screwed horizonatal runners to the side walls of the trailer (into the metal vertical studs - 16" centers) first. These runners are screwed into place at identical spacings on each wall. Each runner has t-nuts inserted from the rear every four inches. Uprights are then screwed to the horizontal runners (via the t-nuts). I used the large, hex-head screws that you see used for Scandanavian furniture to hold everything together... the head size is about 5/8" diameter (only 3/32" thick) and provides a lot of clamping force so nothing comes loose. The uprights for the wings are drilled every 4" for dowels... this lets me move the dowels around to accommodate different wing sizes.
The fuselage hangers are attached to the same horizontal runners as what I did for the wings. I'll have to take some pics to show how the fuselage hangers work.. they can be adjusted horzizontally or vertically on a 4" grid, and can be slid toward, or away from, the side wall to account for different size tail feathers, or for fixed nose gears . Since the spacing on all runners and uprights are the same I can move wings or fuselages anywhere within the trailer just by unbolting uprights and moving them around.
To keep things from bouncing off of the racks I'm simply using 2" strips of felt fabric, and tying each airplane part to its location... I might come up with something else a little later on.
I installed the 110 V wiring using all 'nema' rated, waterproof housings (pretty pricey, but I didn't want to risk injuring anyone due to faulty wiring, etc.). I've got the transmitter wiring completed... now working on conduit to carry charge power over to fuselages... should be completed tomorrow. Once power strip (above transmitters) is wired constant current, second power strip is wired through TME trickle adapter. A Hobbico cycler is on the shelf above the transmitters... this way I can continually trickle some plane/radio combinations, constant charge others, and do specialty charging via the Hobbico.

Still have to build hold-downs for field boxes, mount a fuel carrier, and build a prop rack and misc. spare parts bin.

It's really been a lot of work.. making jigs to router out everything, etc. but I'm going to so enjoy not tearing up airplanes carrying them up and down the narrow stairwell of our home!! I better get it done quick.... Spring will be here before I know it!!

Thanks again for the kind comments...
...Rob
Old 02-05-2003, 12:42 AM
T28Driver

Default making some progress

Finally had some time to get back to finishing up some things on the trailer. The transmitter rack is now complete... as is the prop rack.
Will try attaching some photos here...

Name:	52733_12967.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	29689  
Old 02-05-2003, 12:49 AM
T28Driver

Default another photo

Tried attaching multiple photos but that didn't work... here is one of the prop rack.

Charging rack in previous photo is set up so that (6) wall chargers can be plugged in at once and all trickle through a TME cycler feeding the power strip. The cords on the wall chargers are long enough to plug into the second power strip which is hooked up for constant charging. Each wall charger feeds (1) plane's transmitter and receiver. This way, all the planes and all the transmitters are charged in place and I just plug the trailer in when I get home.
The Hobbico AccuCycler is used to custom charge non-standard battery packs and I ran cables that are long enough to reach any fuselage or any of the transmitters.

Has been working great for the past couple of weeks, and as a bonus I've managed not to burn anything down!

Name:	52727_12967.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	29690  
Old 02-05-2003, 12:52 AM
T28Driver

Default another pic

This one shows the entire charging set up. Next time I would try to buy charge strips where all outlets were in a single line... that way I could mount one high, one low and then just plug chargers into upper or lower outlet strip... would make the wiring much neater. But, these new Stanley power strips did look kind of neat so just decided to go ahead with them.

Name:	52728_12967.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	29691  
Old 02-05-2003, 01:04 AM
T28Driver

Default final pic

I built these two spring-loaded, pull-to-release latches to make sure the door couldn't fly open and send the transmitters on a wild ride. All of the wood that I cut and put together is held together by screws and glue so that it can't (fingers crossed) vibrate apart during trips.
If anyone is interested in pictures on how to do some of this stuff, please just let me know and I can provide some detail pics... may take me a couple of days to get to it, but I promise I'll get it done for you.

Name:	52732_12967.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	29692  
Old 02-05-2003, 01:05 AM
T28Driver

Default another pic

This one shows the entire charging set up. Next time I would try to buy charge strips where all outlets were in a single line... that way I could mount one high, one low and then just plug chargers into upper or lower outlet strip... would make the wiring much neater. But, these new Stanley power strips did look kind of neat so just decided to go ahead with them.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:06 AM
T28Driver

Default making some progress

Finally had some time to get back to finishing up some things on the trailer. The transmitter rack is now complete... as is the prop rack.
Will try attaching some photos here...

Name:	52734_12967.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	29693  
Old 02-05-2003, 02:12 AM
GPutt33

Default Great Job Bro

Looks like you've done yourself proud with this one

Just so you all know out there, he put's the same amount of time and detail into his planes
Old 02-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Iflyrc4fun
My Feedback: (132)

Very nice layout and work. The pictures really help. Please keep us posted as work progresses.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:02 PM
GPutt33

Default More Pictures Posted on - Putt's RC Home Page

My brother has posted more pictures of the trailer on my Home Page link below for those interested.

If you have trouble viewing my site, please let me know. If you do visit, please take a moment to sign the guest book and let me know what I can do to improve it.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2003, 10:58 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

WHOLLY TRAILER! I think I could live in that thing. Where is the unsanded bare plywood? Where are the bent/ broken nails you just hammer to the side when you tweek one putting it in? Where is the...... nevermind, I don't think we'd find it in your trailer. :-)

Very, very nice!
Old 02-08-2003, 08:24 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

That is one bad-ass trailer my friend. Excellent work. Now if I only had more planes, more money, more time, and more energy I'd try to duplicate yours
Old 04-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Blackie

The subject title was miss leading but nice job. After reading the subject " **Builds the Ultimate Trailer" led me to believe that another trailer had been built, like how I built mine from scratch. Turned out to be just a custom interior job.

As I said nice job though.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:25 AM
Bob101

Default RE: My Brother Builds the Ultimate Trailer

Mispost