Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Technique for painting insignia? >

Technique for painting insignia?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Technique for painting insignia?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Technique for painting insignia?

I want to paint the white star on blue background pre-WW II on the fuse of my P-40. What's the right way to do this? Don't know which color to start with or if you do a solid blue circle to start with. Any thoughts? Bill
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Technique for painting insignia?

This is much harder to explain than it is to accomplish, for me anyway. After you have the star masked off, your first coat is the same color as the base color underneath. In this case, blue. This seals the tape with a color that matches the base color if it bleeds under the tape. Then, always paint the light colors first and then the dark. Light colors over dark can be a real challenge depending on the paint you use. If it's a highly pigmented paint it should only take a couple of coats.

I'm glad to hear you are painting the stars instead of vinyl or decals. They match better, look better and last longer. After decals or vinyl, modelers always want to clear coat and if anyone has problems with paint, it's with clear coats.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out http://www.getstencils.com/
He can make you all the masks needed, and his prices are poretty good too. He has a link to the directions, that may help answer your questions.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm redoing (rebuilding a crashed P-40) that was done in the all to common OD/ shark's teeth. Seems like every P-40 you see has the same scheme! I took off all the decals which look like cr......, to me. I'm going with the N.Africa desert sand color and wanted stuff painted on. I've thought of the commercial stencils but I have a number of planes in various stages of completion and want to learn to do this kind of thing myself-limited budget you know!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Stars aren't that tough and tape isn't that expensive. Go for it and you'll be surprised with the results, and proud.