Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Transporting planes in pickup

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Transporting planes in pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 03:01 PM
Handyandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting planes in pickup

Does anyone have pictures of some kind of rack system I can use to transport 40 size aircraft in the back of my pickup. Have not been to any shows, so I have never seen any. Truck does not have a top. Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old 02-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

What's going on Handy? Hey I haul up to two airplanes fullt assembled in my little toyota pickup. I point the nose of the airplane into the drivers side corner of the bed closest to the cab and then I use a wire, string, rope, what have ya, and tie the prop to the truck that way. Never had any of the airplanes move or anything. Most trouble I've seen wason an aerobatic plane(Ricochet) that has over exagerated control surfaces, they would flutter on the way to the field.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:20 PM
iflyrc24

Andy

First off Welcome to RCUniverse

I have a GMC Sonoma and I use two spring loaded shower curtain rods placed on either side of the wheel wells. I covered the rods with 2" pieces of foam pipe wrap. I then put the wire shower curtain hangers in all the slots of the pipe wrap. Then I set the fuse on the bars and use #64 rubber bands to hold the fuse to the bars. The wings go on the same way only you have to tie two rubber bands together with a larks head.

I can get 5 planes in the bed if I put the fuselages on the bars and the wings on the floor of the bed. I mostly only have two planes on the bars with a profile on the floor under them.

I have road tested them up to 70mph without losing any parts.

DEG
Old 02-20-2002, 10:35 PM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also go to Walmart and get a nylon cargo net cover. Lay it over the planes and then hook it into the side of the truck. If it looks like rain, simply place a piece of plastic under it.

Consired using that for a while, with my smaller planes.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Handyandy

Iflyrc24
Thanks, what a great idea. Thanks for your quick response. Just found this forum, and really enjoy it. Thanks again.

Andy
Old 02-21-2002, 12:28 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pickup Truck Transport

For years, I carried my polanes in my pickup. I put a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood in the back. I fastened an assenbky if PVC pipe to this ply which had PVC cradles covered with pipe insulation. It worked great. If the panes are upright, even if it rains nothing gets hurt.

Good luck,
RCPAUL
Old 03-08-2002, 03:26 PM
kramer
My Feedback: (61)

Some of our club members uses a similar system but they have folding legs on the back side of the plywood than you pull it out 3/4 of the way ,drop the legs and you have a nice table to work on
Old 03-09-2002, 05:12 AM
Killer-RCU

Default Transporting Planes

Sounds crude but also have used plywood with eyebolts in the appropriate spots (depending on the size of the plane). Then use bungy cords wrapped around the landing gear on the front and over the rear of the fuse, hooking them into the eye bolts. On some, also around prop area. Have transported .40's, .60's, 1.20's and even 1/3rd this way in open pick-up and could go 70+. Get tougher with multiple planes if larger as you run out of bed space, so the rack idea is great here.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:04 PM
John B

I just take a large sleeping bag and drape it over the models and carefully weight the ends with my field gear, works great.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:46 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by John B
I just take a large sleeping bag and drape it over the models and carefully weight the ends with my field gear, works great.
hehe, dual purpose! especially if your in trouble!! couldnt resist
Old 03-09-2002, 03:48 PM
John B

you are mean!!!!! And right!!! LOL
Old 03-09-2002, 08:25 PM
rbshirley-delete

iflyrc24 wrote:

I have road tested them up to 70 mph....

. . . . . . . .

Unfortunately, my road test was only up to 55 MPH when the tie down came loose !

{Blush}

Watching in the rear view as the Dragon Lady fuselage literally "flew" up and over the tail gate and into following rush hour traffic on a four lane is not an experience I would recommend or want to repeat.

Fortunately, the OS 90 2-stroke and the receiver
survived (and so did I by some deft broken field running retreiving the remains), but the rest was
very small bits of balsa dust and plastic servo parts.

Convinced me that a FG bed cover was a necessity.

Live and learn ... that's the R/C hobby.

Bob S
Old 03-10-2002, 01:15 PM
iflyrc24

Originally posted by rbshirley
Unfortunately, my road test was only up to 55 MPH when the tie down came loose !

Bob S [/B]
That is why I use rubberbands. I check and change them often. The sun's UV seems to get at the bands. When I flew planes with rubber banded wings I would use the band on the plane a couple times and then put them on the bars. Now I keep a box of bands in the truck and change them once a week or so or if they get a nick or show signs deterioration

If one of the rubberbands break I have the fuse and wing held at two places so hopefully I will have some get to the berm time.

The shower bars are wider than the lip on the top of the bed so if one comes loose it still won't come out. I have had them work loose and the one end will just slip down in the bed against the double deck steps. Never have I seen them try to lift out.

I think that by raising the planes off the floor the air comes over the cab and pushes down on the planes, whereas if you set them on the floor the air comes over the cab into the bed at the wheel wells and will try to blow the plane out over the tailgate.

Just my .02

DEG
Old 03-10-2002, 07:25 PM
alaskns2

I found that if you take some old tube socks, and put a couple of pounds of sand in them and tie them together works great. Drape the sock/sand unit over the wing or fuselage with the sand on the truck bed will hold down just about any airplane. Make up two or three sets, and they can be adjusted as to position. Plus they are cheap to make...
Old 03-11-2002, 01:50 AM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

I can see the dual purpose of the socks loaded with sand. You can whack the person who turns thier radio on your channel with them when they shoot you down.

I have a Toyota excab truck with a topper on the back, and a bedliner that had molded in recesses for 2x4's in it. I cut 2x4's to length, wrapped them with short nap carpet, and use velcro tie wraps to secure the fuses. Also have roof racks on the top, and have bungees running across the ceiling to hold wings if I need the area on the floor. I have put up to 5 planes in the back at once by taking wings off, but can easily leave the wings on all three of my planes (magic3d, .25 extra, and a majestic), and point the tails upwards, kind of stacking them against the row behind them. Can double deck it with wood runners across the top of the bed and haul more. Also ran a 12 volt fused link to the bed, and hooked up a 3 cigarette lighter outlet, and two sets of banana plugs. Have that connected to the 12 volt feed with a Tamiya connector so I can take it out to haul the usual truck stuff. Great thing about the bedliner is dont have to worry about the exhaust dripping. Great thing about the topper is that its weather proof, lockable, and a 12 volt charging station. If you can afford those two purchases, they are worth thier weight in gold.

Steve