Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Stits Covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Stits Covering

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 01:03 PM
RControlFreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stits Covering

What do you think of Stits covering? Will it give a scale, cloth like covering on a 1/4 scale? Does it turn out to be much heavier than plastic?

Tanks
Ken
Old 03-11-2002, 10:49 PM
RControlFreak

Default Stits

Anybody?
Old 03-12-2002, 02:02 AM
rcalfred

Default Stits

IMHO it would be just right. Assuming that the fabric you are talking about is that sold by F & M Enterprises. Chip Mull in their video tape covers a Cub wing that looks about 1/4 scale. In the tape he shows how to cover, shrink, fill, prime, and finish coat. He also shows applying pinking tape and simulating rib stitching.

As for the weight, he says that it is slightly heavier than Monokote, but not much. The polytone paints lose about 75% of their weight through evaporation of the reducers and retarders.

I used it to cover an 80" WS trainer that I scaled up from a 4 Seasons 40. Used it as a test to see how it would work on a Cessna UC-78 Bamboo Bomber that I will build. I was very pleased with the result.

Would recommend that you buy the tape. It's only about $20 and will give you all the information and techniques you will need to use their system. They have recently moved to Texas from California. You can find them at: www.stits.com/. Regards.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:14 PM
RControlFreak

Default Stits

Thanks Al,

The tape is on order.

Just by reading about it, it seems like there will be more control when appying the material than one of the plastic coverings.

Ken