Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Saddle up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:04 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle up

Here's a method to get a good fit between the wing & fuselage.
Undercut the fuselage so there is a 3/32" gap between the wing top and the fulselage.
Cover the top center section of the wing with Saran (plactic) wrap. Smooth it and secure it to the wing top with tape.( You could also monocoat the area)
Mix up some 45 minute epoxy and add phenolic balloons to the epoxy. It should be the consistancy of thick peanut butter.
Apply this to the fuselage saddle area. When the saddle is fully covered, fit the wing and secure with the hold down bolts. The "mud" will squish out and fill all the voids. You can remove most of the squeeze out with a squeege and save some sanding later.
When the epoxy hardens, in about an hour, remove the wing. The plactic wrap will act as a release agent and there will be a good fitting saddle joint. Sand the fuselage sides and interior sides to remove the squeeze out and your done.
You can apply covering to this. I have a saddle setting up as I write this. Give it a try
Happy landings Tony