Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Who has a Dust Collection sytem?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Who has a Dust Collection sytem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a Dust Collection sytem?

Who has a dust collection system in their shop. And, do you use a shop vac or a regular dust collection system designed specifically for woodworking?

I built a really nice sanding table and am now in the process of getting the pieces for the dust collection system together. I'll be using the Jet DC-610 attached to all my tools to suck-up all the nasty balsa dust in my 23 x 13 shop.

http://www.jettools.com/Catalog/Wood...ges/DC610.html
Old 02-26-2002, 11:10 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Dust Collection

I use my shop-vac. I made sides underneath my scroll saw table so it would suck the dust better. I also boxed in the bottom of my table saw to get the dust. I have been looking at one of the bigger dust collection systems. I was wondering though, how loud they are. Using my shop-vac, I have to use earplugs because it is so loud. Kind of a pain, any time I use my power tools I have to hunt down some earplugs . Just trying to keep what hearing I have left .
Old 02-26-2002, 11:39 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

You really should look into the Jet system I am getting ready to get. It is only 55-60 db's noise level @ 3 feet. And should suck three to four machines simutaniously with little drop in air flow.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:09 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Ted,

I use a Delta dust colector. It makes a lot less noise than a shop vac and the exhaust doesn't blow dust around the shop. I also installed their better bags which doesn't allow any of the balsa dust to blow through. I have 6 tools, a sanding table and a hose for general clean up attached to the system. I put gates on each tool so suction is applied only when the gate is open.

Mark M.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:10 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Dust Collection

I didn't know they were that quite! I'm definitely going to put one on my wish list .
Old 02-28-2002, 02:38 PM
jusse486

I have a great dust collection system. It is a Great Planes Super Sportster 40. I just keep to busy to work on it, and it sits there and collects dust.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:28 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

I just hook up my shop vac to the dremel 1" belt sander, which is the only tool that creates a lot of dust. But, to tell the truth, I hate sanding, and do as little as possible. When I have to sand, I put on a dust mask, and go outside.

--Mike
Old 03-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Larry D.
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone tried the shop vac that Walmart sells, is states it is a quite one. Sells for $60 or $70.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:56 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Dust

If you use a shop-vac you have to make sure all of your stuff is set up for the same size pipe. I've noticed some pieces of equipment are different. All my stuff is set up for 3" pipe. Also you want to make sure you have enough suction to do the job right. That Wal-mart one sounds like a good idea if it sucks enough .
Old 03-03-2002, 01:58 AM
John B
My Feedback: (1)

I have a old B&D shopvac I stuck out in a bocx on side of the garage, used pvc 1 1/2" hard pipe inside, I hooked it up to a wall switch and I barely hear it. I built plugs for the outlets nand only take off the one I need at the time. I have never had a problem wirh it. works great.