Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
SPAD stuff and stuff >

SPAD stuff and stuff

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

SPAD stuff and stuff

Old 09-05-2002, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD stuff and stuff

ok... I know that I am way over my head here... but i was just thinking that it would be a fun, long term project.

In any case, I have heard a lot about it, but I have no idea what "SPAD stuff" is, exactly

Ok, next question:
I have found 3-view drawings of the ship, not ever having worked with any CAD software, and only limited exposure to drawing programs (enough to draw, cut and paste, etc) What would be the:
1) easiset and 2) cheapest way for me to get a 3D model made so I could play around with where to mount stuff and things... I am now leaning to the thoughts of making it an EDF

I was looking around http://www.nextcraft.com and he makes it look so easy Thanks!

-Jim
Old 09-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAD stuff and stuff

"SPAD" refers to Simple Plastic Aircraft Design, which originated as about the simlest, cheapest thing you could possibly build. The SPAD designs have developed quite a bit in the past appx 3 years... to include some very nice looking stand-off scale aircraft which can be built for just a few dollars. (almost any SPAD can be built for under $30, not counting radio and engine.)

Visit www.spad.org Lots of neat stuff to look at.

Yo can build a mock-up of almost anything using styrofoam, gutter downspout PVC and coroplast, especially if the mock-up doesn't have to actually fly. A double layer of 4 mil coro for the wings, and single layer for the tailplanes, with a gutter downspout plastic main fuselage does fairly well simulate the weight distribution of most .40 size aircraft made from balsa or lite ply. (The finished weight is fairly well simulated too) For larger models... you'd need thicker materials to get a good simulation and to come close to the correct finished weight.