Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

My NB Jeep Rubicon Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Spiike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My NB Jeep Rubicon Crawler

interesting, well maybe we need cobra69 to enlighten us on what he has done or whether he has a MOA ESC to run the NB motors?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
texx

Spiike..

This kit should surely be able to run the 1 / 10 .. RUBICON

I removed the stock electronics in BIG-CRAWLER, and I installed the ESC / FUTABA .. Good price. FOR .. ALL KIT ..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX4**&P=7

My kit ... FUTABA ..

(( The DEANS CONNECTORS, are not in the kit. ))

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86...10/key_/tm.htm

Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Spiike

I only ended up paying $20 for the axial 2 channel receiver, transmitter and esc. and a servo too. Was thinking on trying it out running my jeep, if not I would only have to replace the esc to get it to run then.

*edit*

i'm researching the ae-1 vs the futabu MC230CR you suggested texx.

According to Axial the ae-1 has a motor requirement of 17Turns
the futabu says 20+ turns

that is ok

here other specs too

Futabu

Capacity: 6 to 7 cell batteries
Motor Limit: 20+ turns
Current- Forward: 90A Reverse: 45A
On resistance: .0035 Ohms
High Frequency: Yes, 1,500Hz
Connectors: Futaba J, Standard for Battery, Bullet Motor (all pre-installed) Bullet
Motor Wire: 16 gauge
BEC: Yes (6V) (1 amp)
Length: 1.07" (27.1mm)
Width: .50" (12.7mm)
Height: 1.31" (33.3mm)
Weight: 1.55oz (44g)

Axial
Input Voltage 5~10 Cell-2VDC/Cell
Size 34.8 x 33.5 x 30mm
Weight 53g
Motor 15T or greater
On-Resistance-Forward FET 0.0025Ω
On-Resistance-Reverse FET 0.005Ω
Rated/Peak Current-Forward 60A / 150A
Rated/Peak Current-Reverse 35A / 75A
Braking Current 150 A
BEC Voltage/A DC 5V / 1A
PWM Frequency 1 K Hertz

Futabu's rated current is much higher than axials, other than that it looks ok..

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
cobra69

ORIGINAL: Spiike

interesting, well maybe we need cobra69 to enlighten us on what he has done or whether he has a MOA ESC to run the NB motors?

I'm running a cheap 80a esc for a 540 motor, with 2 mabuchi 280 motors & have had no problems with overheating or stall.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Spiike

oh well then I shouldn't have a problem with the axial setup, i got a dam good deal on it too + spare parts.. looks like i'm converting my NB axles custom chassis jeep to HG
Old 04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Spiike

Haven't had an update, because my jeep has been shelved since the stock electronics died. So here is the start to my conversion! I found a brand new Futabu Magnum Sport T2PC 2 channel Transmitter and a Fp-r122je 2 channel receiver with the crystals. from a buddy in the classifieds here on the RCCrawler.com
I was just thinking of getting a cheap AE-1 ESC because it powers brushed motors, and should be ok powering my MOA New Bright motors. Either that or I will have a spare for my SCX10 when I get it later on this year..
Can't wait I love the scx10 my buddy bought one, and i got to play with it a little. but honestly I love my NB just as much till i really break it for good! but I will still try and fix my NB in my spare time because i've put a bunch of money into spare parts etc...

So I was researching this receiver and transmitter, I didn't realize that the receiver had a input voltage.
Power requirement: 4.8 - 8.4V
if i find a ESC that supports 8 cell (9.6v) Could i use some sort of cheap voltage regulator to lower the voltage? or a resistor? i should probably put this in the electronics, I might just do that if i can't find anything with the search button.
I already own 3x 9.6v 8 cell ni-cd batteries, and do not wish to upgrade till those batteries die. (low on cash)
Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Spiike

Update, truck is running again, I have the AE-1 Axial receiver, and axial transmitter, the older version not the 2.4ghz version. I am also using the HPI SX-1
I bought 2 bullet connectors to wire the old motors to the axial ESC, soldered it up, wired it up and I'm out playing again.
The only problem I'm having still is that the front axle gears grind when i go in reverse. Should be an easy fix when I figure out how to wiggle the gears the right way so they don't skip in reverse!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM
The Jackalope

good to see the project is still alive! Mines been shelved due to my RS10-XT showing up. So much fun!
I'm just waiting on some new electronics to come my way, so I can do like yours with hobby esc and such. But it will Probably be awhile. I'll keep checking up on ya and live new-bright vicariously!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Spiike

yeah however my cv joints are stripped again and i'm running 2 wheel drive now and not 3 or 4 lol. so i have to fab up some quick cv joints again with the aluminum, but i have to go buy some more tubing as i believe that last extra tube over top of the other 2 give it more strength
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Spiike

Hey guys, this will be my last update regarding my New bright peice of crap. 

I stripped the front gears, and broke a tab off of one of my 280 motors. SO that being said. Anyone interested in parts? I have a whole box full of it.

Springs, shocks, tires, rims, screws, anything you need. Also have 2 broken electronic boxes, 3 working servos. BRAND NEW front axle, Brand new CV joints, oh and I can also sell my working CV joints that i custom made with parts from the an old rear axle. All can be included, or just a few select items. your call what you want. price nagotiable Paypal only.

PS. i still subscribed to threads here, so i will always come back to visit those New bright owners i've chatted with b4
Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM
billyjwatson

hey have you ever tried or heard of mighty putty? that might work good for somthing like that.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Spiike

i bought an axial scx10 lol