Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Outdated electronics

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 AM
vintageshack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outdated electronics

Hi, I'm new to this site. I have an older 4x4 radio shack truck, the controller works fine, but I want to upgrade. I have a black wolf that has digital proportional steering and speed control that I was going to use, but the car was dunked in salt water so it dosen't work any sense...
Does anyone know what would work for me? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, but it would be nice to have speed control and better steering..
This is the truck I have:

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Outdated electronics

A lot of those old Radio shack and Sears cars were actually made by Taiyo. They were higher quality RC cars back in the 80's that often had proportional steering (unlike today's cheap New Bright/Fast Lane RC vehicles) This is a good thing, because as long as the proportional stock steering servo has a potentiometer, you can unsolder the stock wiring, and use the circuit board from a more modern Futaba/Hitec/JR/Spektrum style servo instead. This will maintain the stock steering setup; I did it with my Sears Offroad Buggy, and it worked great. The steering is the hardest part, so provided you can overcome this hurdle, everything else is gravy. The ESC is pretty much a no- brainer; just buy a cheap reversible brushed ESC (proportional both ways), cut the wires to the motor, and splice it in. Enjoy being able to use a hobby quality radio (and fully proportional control) with your vintage truck.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
vintageshack

I just looked at the bottom of the truck, it was made by Tandy, the same as the electronics I am replacing the stock stuff with. I got it running today, it works pretty good, but it is a bit jerky sometimes.. Any suggestions on what might be causing this? I still plan to upgrade to hobby grade electronics eventually, but right now I am stuck in Iqaluit and I have to work with what I have! I also have an older radio shack truck that I got on my 8th birthday (I'm 29 now) that I plan on restoring as well. I'll post some pics when I get a chance
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM
vintageshack

Well, I cleaned the circuit board and that seemed to take care of the jerkyness.. The servo moves the opposite of what I need it to so I just made another arm that points up to make it steer the right way. The only problem is that the steering is not very good at all.. If I swap the power wires on the servo and put the original arm back on, will that work, or will that just screw up the servo all together? Pics are on their way!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
vintageshack

Here are some pics finally! Sorry for the blurriness..

My son playing with both trucks.

I managed to reverse the servo so it actually turns sensibly now! I think I'm going to leave it like this and put hobby grade electronics in the red one. Does anyone know the best place to get a 380 motor and a 8 tooth gear?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A best bet is a place like RC Boca; 

I'm sorry it's 9 turns, nobody carried a 380 motor AND a 8T pinion gear.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
vintageshack

Thanks for the links.. Should be ok if its the same pitch I guess.. I have a while to find a pinion anyways, since the red truck is home and I'm still stuck in the great white north!