Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Help with the electronics?

Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 AM
Pope Pius IX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the electronics?

Hi everyone, I posted this in the Clubhouse area a couple of days ago and got only one suggestion, which was to post here instead...so...

I bought my child a remote-control vehicle which is an Attop Spy Tank (you can find it on Amazon; it's red and black and is described as "Goolsky ATTOP YD-211 Wifi FPV 0.3MP Camera App Remote Control Spy Tank RC Toy Phone Controlled Robot", which is ridiculously long but there you go. I recognise it may have been a poor choice, but child really wanted it, and it wasn't my birthday.

Anyway, when this thing worked, child had a great time with it. Excellent birthday present, etc.

However, since then, one wheel (it's two-wheel drive) has been turning slower and slower, with the result now that it barely turns at all, and as a result, the vehicle just does doughnuts rather than actually moving. Camera and all the rest still works fine.

I've opened it up and had a look, and for each rear wheel there's a small motor inside a plastic case. That motor drives a series of five cogs, and the final one of these cogs turns the left or right wheel. As far as I can make out, the problem MIGHT be, the motor's not turning fast enough, or MIGHT be that the cogs are not fitting together properly so not always turning the next cog along, or MIGHT be something else completely. Other wheel seems fine and I've not opened up that case, for fear of doing something counter-productive. When I take all but the first cog away, the first cog spins around really fast, so I don't THINK it's the motor, but obviously I may be wrong. The wheel, minus cogs, spins freely on the axle if I flick it, so it's not as simple as being clogged up or jammed or something.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions about how to proceed, given that I'd like to fix this one rather than buy a new one? Anyone had a similar experience, or want to guess which of the above it may be? I've literally never opened up a car before today so your guess will be way better than mine...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:36 AM
cheapsub

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to look for a Makerspace in your neighborhood
if you ask nicely they may help you out.
"sir sounds like the transmission, if you like we can order you a new one, the rebuild never works, the other side starts to go too, you should get a set, go to the office pay a none refund deposit, when the parts come in from China, we will give you a call. Ok Sir."
if it's not sentimental to you put it some ware they can't find, by Christmas time the kid will want other new toys anyway.