Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

All hardened steel gears for t-maxx 2.5 tranny

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

All hardened steel gears for t-maxx 2.5 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM
nitroholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All hardened steel gears for t-maxx 2.5 tranny

I made my mind up.I want a t-maxx 2.5 cause i like the size the lay out better then the 3.3.To me the 2.5 truck looks more realalistic.So i'm gonna get a used maxx 2.5 then put a 3.3 in it before i do that i want to upgrade every transmission gear to hardened steel.I was looking at these by RRP my question is would i need all of them? If you scroll down you'll see what i mean.Cause also i want the reverse along with the 3.3.Any ideas or any hints,any cheaper but the same set up is greatly appreciated.I never took a tmaxx tranny apart,i'm only really familure with the jato from having it before.Thanks.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/tmaxx25.html
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: All hardened steel gears for t-maxx 2.5 tranny

Just buy a 3.3 tranny off of Ebay.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Snook Man

RRP or anyone else does not have hardened steel forward and reverse (when using both together) output gears for the 2.5 Transmission.

You can upgrade the top (input shaft) gears and the middle (primary shaft) gears but the bottom (output shaft) gears will be the weak link.

If you convert to forward only you can upgrade the forward output gear to hardened steel but reverse must be removed to do so.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM
nitroholic

That helped.How would a 2.5 tranny hold up with a 3.3 engine before something broke? I mean just a guess.You know?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Snook Man

I and many others run BB engines with much more torque than a 3.3 with the black 2.5 transmission with the forward only conversion with little problems.

With reverse and a 3.3, if you don’t beat it too hard or set the slipper too tight or land jumps while on throttle you could get anywhere from 1 tank to many gallons of fuel before something inside the tranny fails. It depends a lot on a persons driving style and how tight you run the slipper clutch.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 AM
nitroholic

Yeah i know exactly what you mean.Don't be holding it all the way open every time through the gears.Stuff like that.More less lean into the throttle,not pulling it back all the way dead stopped engine leaned to the max.Thanks.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
manyhobbies
My Feedback: (9)

Or you could buy the spare all metal gears that I have. I have all the metal gearing for a stock t-maxx tranny except the topshaft, 1st and 2nd, you had to spend big money to have the OTB 1st an 2nd but I never really had any problems with the stock ones. I only damaged 2nd gear 1 time so the stock 1st and 2nd gears hold up fairly well. I would take $100obo for the new gears that I have. Best to reach me through my normal email because I rarely get on here anymore. I am gonna part out converted t-maxx so keep an eye out for some great stuff. My email is [email protected] Russ
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM
nitroholic

Yeah.Guy's i been looking at electric lately.I know i know,WHY? Right? I'm thinking of taking a break from nitro.Looking at the MERV that little thing looks fun.What are all your guy's thoughts on this.Or could it just be a phase? + i still have NO TOYS!!! Could this be withdraw lol.I do miss my Jato and i had a t-maxx yrs ago,don't get me wrong but i'm seriously thinking of electric a lot.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
manyhobbies

True. They may not be available anymore but you could buy aluminum output gears. I know this because I have them in my converted Tmaxx, and I also have a spare set. I always liked reverse but the stock plastic reverse gear was worthless on a maxx that had a big block, so I bought the extra gears to keep reverse, you just used 2 forward alum output gears.
Russ
ORIGINAL: Snook Man

RRP or anyone else does not have hardened steel forward and reverse (when using both together) output gears for the 2.5 Transmission.

You can upgrade the top (input shaft) gears and the middle (primary shaft) gears but the bottom (output shaft) gears will be the weak link.

If you convert to forward only you can upgrade the forward output gear to hardened steel but reverse must be removed to do so.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 AM
pure speed:]

I have a highly modded MERV its fun but not as fun as the 1/10revo , i converted my 2.5maxx and soon found how week the plastic gears were in the tranny and that was only on 3s personally i think the 2.5maxx was the worse kit ive ever owned even with the 3.3 in it i killed the ring gears in the diffs and the stock axles are pitiful even with the slipper set right lol its just week. if you were to get a 3.3maxx roller you be lightyears ahead of the 2.5 .
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 AM
nitroholic

Does the 3.3 maxx have phillips head screws in the chasis like the 2.5? Or do they have/or they alway's had the phillips screws on both 3.3 & 2.5? Cause i know the 3.3 4-tec has the allen screws as the 2.5 and .15 - 4-tec had the phillips.So cheap i really don't like self tapping screws. I know i jumped from subjects truck to cars but just as an example.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Snook Man

The 3.3 TMaxx comes with Hex hardware.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 PM
manyhobbies

I agree the original .15 and 2.5 are weak and the 3.3 is stronger, that is why I upgraded mine to the extent that I did. Russ

ORIGINAL: pure speed:]

I have a highly modded MERV its fun but not as fun as the 1/10revo , i converted my 2.5maxx and soon found how week the plastic gears were in the tranny and that was only on 3s personally i think the 2.5maxx was the worse kit ive ever owned even with the 3.3 in it i killed the ring gears in the diffs and the stock axles are pitiful even with the slipper set right lol its just week. if you were to get a 3.3maxx roller you be lightyears ahead of the 2.5 .
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
nitroholic

Thanks snookman.