Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

Driving lessons my @$$ man.... I'm a great driver, I dont crash at all, but I do jump a lot when I can.. Thats when my trucks break when they do, but my T-maxx breaks when I drive on the street... Yes it finds a way to fall apart on pavement You are part of a small number of lucky people who swear that their T-maxx's arent built like steaming piles of $h!t....
Old 02-23-2008, 05:30 AM
megamaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

The ONLY problems I had with my T-MAXX were breaking rear center shafts and A Arms. Thats all. I dont know what you guys are doing breaking bulk heads and things like that? Maybe some driving lessons? I dont know? Tell me what you've done to break bulks heads.
rear center shaft breakage is an easy fix,get a center skid cuts that problem way down,breaking bulks is easy to do,just start jumping,and i am not talking ant hills. i mean really jumping it anything over a foot is all it takes
Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 AM
[email protected]

best buddy of mine has had his t-maxx 2.5 for 3 years now and we bash pretty good and hes only spent about 150 dollars in repairs in a 3 yr period. he's also put about 11 gallons through his engine even though its tuff 2 start runs like a dream. T-maxx very reliable truck.

P.S. if i am lyin i'm dyin
Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 AM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

best buddy of mine has had his t-maxx 2.5 for 3 years now and we bash pretty good and hes only spent about 150 dollars in repairs in a 3 yr period. he's also put about 11 gallons through his engine even though its tuff 2 start runs like a dream. T-maxx very reliable truck.

P.S. if i am lyin i'm dyin
^^^as lightning strikes and the earth opens up and swallows him whole
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 AM
[email protected]

nope still livin LOL
Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
NStampede Freak

Driving lessons my @$$ man.... I'm a great driver, I dont crash at all, but I do jump a lot when I can.. Thats when my trucks break when they do, but my T-maxx breaks when I drive on the street... Yes it finds a way to fall apart on pavement You are part of a small number of lucky people who swear that their T-maxx's arent built like steaming piles of $h!t....
Sure they break on the street........ when you hit a concrete wall at WOT!!!! [sm=50_50.gif]
The only things I have broken on my t-maxx are the front bulk and a a-arm. Total of $10 of parts.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Jerzferno

Everyone creates their own problems. I race mine, and it doesnt break. What do you expect when you beat the tar out of it? Deal with it and stop complaining.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
rcnitrohead

Hahaha, my T-maxx hasnt been given a proper bashing in over 2 years[&o] My T-maxx has never hit anything at WOT, only jumps I'm telling you guys I have never crashed it or hit any stationary object at more than 15 mph. I have hit a couple curbs and car tires at 15mph, and I've broken plenty of stuff from that. Whereas I shorted out my Savage's failsafe last year by accident, and it took off on me. It went WOT in a piece of plywood and bounced off 7 feet away, damage was a broken shock shaft and knuckle, $5 fix
Old 03-10-2008, 04:43 AM
MIKEA46996

Ok I normally just lurk in the shadows and dont post but after spending the last 2 hours reading every comment I have too.. About 7 years ago I got into nitro after racing electric for 5+ years, was tired of the race seen and wanted something I could play with. As anybody knows that has been in this hobby more then two weeks the hop-up bug bites; it just happens. I bought a T-Maxx from LHS took it home read the instructions and broke in the motor. After break in I could'nt wait to tear it up the sound and smell of nitro gave me wood. On the second tank I slammed into my car and broke both front bulkheads, shock tower, and one a-arm. Went inside tore it down and ordered new parts RPM wide arm kit, bulkheads, and shock tower. Learned how not to crash, and put 3 gallons of Trinty Monster 30% thru it. (NOT A GOOD CHOICE BY THE WAY). Went a little nuts bought aluminium racer's edge chassis, upgraded the electronics, RRP FOC, and stock .15 motor, yanked out front diff, regeared and beat the hell out of my wheelie machine. GOT MARRIED.....truck sat... GOT DIVORCED !!!!!(GOOD CHOICE) and fired up the Old T-Maxx. Its a love it or hate it truck... Every truck will have its pros and cons... But I do need some advice, My little brother just bought a 3.3 Maxx and he is kicking my can, need to know what I have to do to make a 3.3 fit mine. Thanks Guys and spread some love damn we're all grown men playing with toys. Have a beer on me!![8D]
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
jessemxt

I am pretty sure the 3.3 will drop right in. If you really want to smoke him get this. http://cgi.ebay.com/RB-Products-Kit-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
MIKEA46996

Hey thanks for the link Jeesemxt... maybe its that the wife beat the kid out of me, or maybe I just grew up alittle but wow thats abit to make my toy truck faster... LOL... Gonna order it next week..guess you can't beat the nitro bug out.... gonna be a money war again between me and my bro. He's gonna try to make his faster after I spank him.. Need a pull start and clutch, flywheel stuff for that setup I know my pro 15 stuff wont fit would like to get a thunderdrive or something like that I hate breaking pull start cords... a little more help guys.. Thanks a bunch...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: MIKEA46996

Hey thanks for the link Jeesemxt... maybe its that the wife beat the kid out of me, or maybe I just grew up alittle but wow thats abit to make my toy truck faster... LOL... Gonna order it next week..guess you can't beat the nitro bug out.... gonna be a money war again between me and my bro. He's gonna try to make his faster after I spank him.. Need a pull start and clutch, flywheel stuff for that setup I know my pro 15 stuff wont fit would like to get a thunderdrive or something like that I hate breaking pull start cords... a little more help guys.. Thanks a bunch...
You will actually need a conversion kit for the throttle if you want to fit a slide carb engine on an old rotary carb t-maxx, along with the items you already identified, clutch, e-zstart rotostart or pullstart, one-way bearing, flywheel etc...

And for t-maxx feedback in general. i have a trx 2.5 model I've owned for years. All in all Im very happy with it, but if I were shopping today I would take the revo over it.

Out of the box, my only major complaint about the t-maxx is that I hate the fuel tank design, once I got a different tank on all of my tuning problems went away. After replacing the t-maxx fuel tank I never had another tuning problem with what had previously been a miserable trx 2.5, and I ran it for over 9 gallons, rebuilt it, ran it for over 10 now on that rebuild. I have also owned 2 other trx 2.5 mills and a 2.5R and all of them have been incredible, easy to tune, and produced great power for their size. I love TRX 2.5 and 2.5R engines, although they are touch small for something as heavy as a t-maxx, but they sure do get it scooting along, and can be quite quick out of the hole if you gear them down.

Check the diffs and shim if necessary, some of them have a little slop in them from the factory which can cause premature wear.

Aside from that it is a great truck, but like most others if you want to bash hard and not consistently break certain parts I recommend aluminum bulkheads, RPM a-arms, Titanium turnbuckles and hinge pins, and heavier ball ends. You do all of that and the maxx is a pretty solid basher.

I think the maxx is a great beginners truck, at least the trx 2.5 one was, and is about on par with anything else at the same price point. There are better trucks out there, but most require a little more investment. If I were to do it over again, I would reconsider getting an MT altogether and just save a bit more cash to get a nice truggy for the better track performance and durability.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
MIKEA46996

Thanks Tommy for the link. How bout the other stuff I mentioned ? I already have MIP CVDs, RRP FOC, New bulkheads, RPM arms so on and so fourth. I know all the Maxx weaknesses remember I beat the H*ll out of it with a .15 for years... Appreciate the info dont get me wrong but really interested in parts I need now, Clutch set-up, flywheel, and tiger drive. Thanks Again guys been out for some time really need the help can't let the little bro beat me.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
tommythecat

I didn't put those links in, it auto-inserted them when I typed the words, so I am sorry for the lack of relevance.

AS for the specifics, or links to products I can't really help as I am not 100% sure about the original .15 version of the maxx. However, there have been numerous threads about upgrading it so a quick search should turn up lots of info.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I personally think the T-Maxx is a pretty tough truck. I never got to drive mine a lot as a .15 because when i bought it, the motor was pretty well shot, and didnt last long after that. I had a 2.5 rustler for a little while though, and that motor wasnt bad to tune, and it was a screamer, so im sure that motor in a t-maxx is a pretty good setup. My T-Maxx has spent some time as an electric as kind of a rock crawler, and I had a Shindaiwa weedeater motor on it. The tranny and everything handled it fine, but it ran away from me one day and hit a wagon at about 25mph and bent the frame extension i had made, but the funny thing is it didnt not break one single part of the original T-Maxx.

I think with some good bulkheads, and some RPM arms it would be a real tough truck. I havent gotten to drive it with a nitro/gas on it for hardly any amount of time yet, but I am remaking the frame to be a better setup, so we will see how it holds up with a heavy motor and some power. Ill be upgrading as i go im sure, but I wouldnt be doing it on a t-maxx if i didnt think it would be pretty reliable. [8D]

The Savage is also a good truck along with the rest of them out there. Im not sure what i would buy if i were buying a new one. Id have to really think about it. I dont think any of them are bad. Its just wether or not you can get parts for them.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:08 AM
trx1

I have a gen1 maxx,[8D] and its fun. Still breaking it in, but still fun when i do get to run it. Gonna go RPM and INTEGY when i get the money, then it will be even MORE funner to run!!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM
3 way rc

love my maxx i got 2 savages an a revo . but i go for the maxx first