Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:44 AM
redviper748

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Traxxas T Maxx reliable?

I am thinking about getting a T Maxx and I was wondering if it is reliable? I am going to use it around my house and take it to rc tracks. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:58 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

1 word: Nope
Old 08-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Striker

2 Words:- Me Like
Old 08-30-2003, 03:19 PM
flatlander_14

its only as reliable as your weekly income
Old 08-30-2003, 04:08 PM
caseyddr

what do you need to get the tmaxx running properly... les see....

new bulkheads
new a-arms
new turn buckles
new engine
new pipe
new radio
new cooling head
new shock towers
new spur gear

anything i miss? probably the list is endless.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:40 PM
flatlander_14

...shocks, springs, differentials, and maybe some tranny gears if you put a real nice engine in it
Old 08-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

The T-Maxx isn't all that durable, MIP hopups are your best bet, especially the A-arms, drivetrain, and a few other small things and you should be good to go. Forward-only conversion is probably the best thing to get for your T-Maxx and is very cheap. It's a great truck once you "fix" it up, IMO the Terra Crusher is the most durable out of the box but has an insanely weak motor to start with.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:51 PM
tjmaxx

All you will need is a fail safe. fuel filter, and temperature gauge, every truck needs those things. The T-maxx is good out of the box. Get it, it is a good truck.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:36 PM
mayrun

dont even think about buying it
Old 08-30-2003, 08:57 PM
redviper748

What is a Good truck that is 4wd and I can put rear paddles on, jump big jumps, good for the track, and climbing hills? I would also like to have the 2.5 engine it and I want it to go faster then 40mph. THanks!
Old 08-30-2003, 10:21 PM
caseyddr

u can put paddles on anything, but if thats waht your looking for get the CEN Fun Factor MT2. its faster than the tmaxx and alot more durable at that. As you notice, only 1 person suggested getting the maxx, its a horrible vehicle unless u put another 1000$ into it.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:41 PM
RC SNYPER

i second the cen mt! i have a cen st converted to a mt. look at my gallery for pics! it would almost fly if i put wings on it.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:42 PM
RC SNYPER

plus it goes faster than 40 mph stock!!!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:55 PM
speenair

Cummon guys u sound like the traxxas tmaxx is hunk of junk. How come it has won best MT for a few years now. The engine is hard to tune but you have to take the time and effort to understand it and learn how to tune it properly. How can it need that much stuff? No one would be buying them if all this was true. There has got to be something wrong here???
Old 08-31-2003, 01:44 AM
badboy2

thats why it has the most parts available cuz they break most of the time...most trucks have the same problem in tuning which is acceptable..but add the broken arms because of a small jump..thats too much headache....the body parts are too weak..imo
Old 08-31-2003, 01:47 AM
bubbafien

Default finally i hear some sense!

Originally posted by speenair
Cummon guys u sound like the traxxas tmaxx is hunk of junk. How come it has won best MT for a few years now. The engine is hard to tune but you have to take the time and effort to understand it and learn how to tune it properly. How can it need that much stuff? No one would be buying them if all this was true. There has got to be something wrong here???

c'mon fellas! you guys say i am biased? i have a savage and a maxx and i prefer the maxx. i do not know why people say the 2.5 engine is bad, if you listen to 1 thing on this thread hear this!

it is not a bad engine or truck! if it was, then why would everybody winning races be using the maxx? i personally never had any problems with the 2.5 engine. i thought and think that it is a sweet, easy tuning engine.

the only people complaining about the maxx are the ones who truely, and honestly do not know what they are doing. plain and simple. i never break my t maxx. i have had 2 and only broke about 2 things. $5 fix

bubbafien
Old 08-31-2003, 03:16 AM
tjmaxx

See bubbafien knows what he is talking about :rainfro: .
Old 08-31-2003, 03:51 AM
popa71

I never had a problem with my 2.5 t-maxx, Tuning was not that hard and it ran great out of the box. The only thing I recommend for that truck is CVDs. I broke those plastic drive shafts during break in. And being that CVDs all around for the maxx will cost you $140 dollars. You might as well get a Savage and put a Hyper 8 port in it for $140 bucks. You will be happy with either one. Having owed both My Savage gets the win, Its more durable. BUT i DID LOVE THOSE WHEELIES OUT OF THE BOX ON THAT MAXX!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2003, 03:32 PM
tenks

Its not the truck, its the people, plain and simple. They think these trucks should be bullet proof and taking jumps at 40 mph and launching their MT 10 ft into the air is what its made to do. Well it's not and if Traxxas made it to do that you woulda paid double what it costs new.

Under "normal" use the Maxx will hardley ever break but if you start doing crazy stuff, it's gonna break. A lot.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:02 PM
grampi

Originally posted by Kuma
The T-Maxx isn't all that durable, MIP hopups are your best bet, especially the A-arms, drivetrain, and a few other small things and you should be good to go. Forward-only conversion is probably the best thing to get for your T-Maxx and is very cheap. It's a great truck once you "fix" it up, IMO the Terra Crusher is the most durable out of the box but has an insanely weak motor to start with.
The TC may seem like the most durable MT out of the box, but I doubt it's any tougher than a Savage. It may break less because crashing at 28 mph is not as hard on parts as crashing at 35 mph is.

Also, many of you seem to be overexaggerating about the Maxx. It's a good truck. It has its flaws, but what MT doesn't? Is the best MT out there? Maybe......maybe not. Depends on who you talk to. Many people love it, many hate it. I have one and I can tell you it isn't as bad as many of these people claim it is.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:42 PM
caseyddr

lets see grampi, my emaxx broke from a 10 foot drop jump... its same speed as the terra crusher if not slower. my terra crusher went full speed hit a ramp and was about 20 feet in the air, landed on its front left wheel flipping wildly. know what broke? nothing. the turnbuckle ballcup was stretched and wouldnt stay on anymore. BUT the tamiya replacements that come with the terra crusher made it a free fix in 30 seconds. i still have 11 of those pieces left so far. as for the terra going 28mph stock, i bought new tires, new maxx velocity rims, and got the EPIC .18 engine about to be dropped in it. My TC will most likely hit 35 MPH with EASE, then i will replace the pinion and maybe the spur gear and i will have a 40 mph terra crusher. we'll see how durable it is after that

and after all this im jus going to turn it into an aluminum beast because i cant afford a new car, and i can only afford random aluminum hop ups now i did see the article on the TerraMaxx though, and im thinking that'd be a fun project!
Old 08-31-2003, 08:10 PM
grampi

Like I said, the Maxx isn't perfect, but it isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:24 PM
kennebell50

I had 2 Tmaxx 2.5s and they spent more time getting worked on than driving. If you plan on doing jumping of any kind at all or even running it at its upper speeds you end up at the hobby shop buying a-arms, bulkheads, and other stuff that sucks to replace.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:37 PM
T-Maxx_CA

I have two t-maxx's and i love them. I have upgraded them a little and now i hardly ever see the hobby shop. I would go with what u think is best. Once its hopped up it is a very bad basher. I also like traxxas support and wide range of parts and upgrades.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Accident
Banned

T-Maxx is a royal pain in the ass to start, tune, keep running, rebuild, or have fun with. Soak it in gas, light it on fire, and see how far you can get, I advise you to start taking steps backwards now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.