Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Nitro Slash vs Nitro Rustler

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Slash vs Nitro Rustler

Hey Guys,

I am new to Nitro RC. I am moving from electric to nitro!!! I am looking to buy either a Traxxas Nitro Slash or Rustler and i need your help to decide. Pl. give me your advice. Thanks
Old 08-11-2015, 05:48 PM

I'd go with the slash.

My first rc was a rustler, then i drove a slash an was mad
Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM

It really depends on what your intentions are. The rustler has been around for a LONG time. It has seen some updates here and there, but it is an old dated truck at heart. The slash is newer, but it still suffers design flaws that have been a part of Traxxas forever: turn buckles, suspension geometetry, and their plastic driveshafts. My opinion comes from a racer's point of view, but it is an opinion from someone who has been in the hobby for a long time as well.

If you are new to nitro, get ready for something that will try your patience. If you don't understand it, it can get the best of you. However, if you keep a level head about it, you'll figure it out with time and overcome some of the pesky issues that you just can't avoid when it comes to nitro powered kits.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Slash.

With that said, I would also be sure get a good set of Proline or JConcepts rear tires/wheels that match your typical surface terrain. Don't get to wrapped up in a 'race' tire. Just get a pair of all terrain if your bashing on dirt/grass. The rear tires of the Nitro Slash are the soft compound. That means they are better then the normal compound, but still not a great rear tire. Put them on the fronts as they work fine for that. But for rears you want something better. Traxxas don't offer 'better'. So aftermarket tires are the way to go.

For offroad bashing I've had great luck with Proline Trenchers, Badlands and even the newer-ish TSL Super Swampers. The Trenchers are sort of heavy. Now my 2 favorites have been the TSL and Badlands. But again, your typical surface you run on plays into which would be the best all around tire. If you ever plan to use in the street as well as dirt, then Trenchers will have the longest life. Badlands are awesome on dirt and grass, but will get destroyed on asphalt.

Oh and the other thing is that as you break parts which is inevitable there are tons of aftermarket parts available to the Slash 2wd. There are a few parts that are different between the nitro and electric 2wd Slash, but for the most part there is a lot of overlap. The other thing I would look for to buy along with the Slash would be a few RPM replacements like front a-frames, shock towers and body mounts. These are all well known first points of failure on many Traxxas RC's.

Last edited by wwit; 08-12-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM

RPM parts are almost a must for Traxxas products. You can beat the snot out of it, break it, and get a free replacement. Win-Win.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my advice.... Ignore any advice from people comparing the electric slash to the electric rustler... There is some major difference between those electric models and these difference are not relevant for the nitro version.

as for picking what's better it's hard... Because they are so very similar in there chassis design.
My thoughts..... If u are planing to hit a racing track then the Nitro Stadium truck (rustler) would have a massive advantage over a nitro 2wd SCT (slash). The slash is big and bulky they just can't change direction like the shorter,wider, lighter, rustler.

here is the pickle..... We u sure that's what you want??? Stadium trucks and 2wd SCT are not the most exciting trucks to bash around...
The only time I've even been impressed but them is on high traction carpet tracks..... A 2wd can match the preformanve on a 4x4 on high traction surfaces but anything like dirt they just loose traction and rooster tale... Sure that fun, but it's not exactly fast.

another thing to consider.... Tyres... Because these things are very easy to rooster tale and they only have rear wheel brakes.
The rear tyres get trashed... Most guys complain about the stock tyres...so they upgrade to some nice dirt pin tyres. That keeps them happy until they go for a bash on the road for some speed runs and destroy there $30 tyres in 5min.

if I can somehow convince you to look at something 4x4 I think u will have more fun overall. IMO 2wd is mainly for track work
Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 PM

apples and oranges my friend.. the only real thing I can think of that makes either more appealing than the next is the fact that the rustler is such an old chassis that you can get secondhand upgrades as well as new for ultra cheap compared to the newer slash chassis. Rustler is going to have a wider and lower profile compared to the slash.. but ive flipped both about the same amount of times... I say pick the one that appeals to your eye and enjoy the learning curve.. nitros will make you pull your hair out if you don't take the time to understand how they operate.