Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx vs SportMaxx

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-Maxx vs SportMaxx

So, how much difference does the 4WD make to a backyard/street basher?

I'm trying to decide whether or not it (and the reverse feature) is worth the extra $90 or so.

My R/C helicopter flying buddies have both gotten monster trucks, so you know I gotta keep up...

Just need to figure out which one to get. One buddy has the T-Maxx, and the other just got a new Savage 25. I don't want to drop too much coin on this thing, since it is strictly for us as a diversion between helo and plank flights.

I've got an RC10GT, so I'm not what you could term a newbie to this aspect of the hobby. But all this T-Maxx vs Savage info is certainly confusing.

What I should do is just hold off until I save enough for an Associated MT...[8D]

Old 02-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Maxx vs SportMaxx

I have a Sportmaxx... I don't care at all for the reverse module... None of my other Nitro's have it, and I have
just gotten used to it. I thought I had a lot better of control with 4x4 (and more fun), and the 2-speed, well
after you get good at driving the S-Maxx, you will really want it for bashing just for speed.

I am happy with my decision with one caveat-

If the MGT or Mammoth were a choice when I bought the Maxx, my money would have gone to one
of those other two trucks for sure.

I would save up for one of the newer trucks personally. The Mammoth in particular is bigger and
faster, and the MGT is nothing to sneeze at either. I hate to say it, but the Maxx looks like a Toy
next to the MGT IMHO, and I own a Maxx!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:18 PM
mrjason82

My buddy and my uncle both have t-maxxes and me and my dad both have s-maxxes...I personally like the s-maxx better. I bought the 4wd module for it and I can go anywhere my friends' t-maxx can go. as for reverse, I went with my friend and my uncle playing in a parking lot this weekend and neither of them could get their reverse to work right. and that jerking motion that the t-maxx makes with the reverse annoys me. Also I don't know if it has something to do with tuning or gearing but my s-maxx will definately take off faster than my friends' t-maxx. I'm happy with my sportmaxx.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
jefx

The 4wd and reverse were two of the main reasons that I went with the Tmaxx. I don't race, I only bash, and I figured that I would be needing the 4wd and reverse. I don't use reverse all that often, but it is definately handy when I need it. The 4wd is excellent. I've stripped my front diff a couple times, and continued to drive it with only rear wheel drive, and it was way harder to handle like that.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:54 PM
LSP972

Yeah, that's what has me hesitant; the 4WD should improve the overall handling measurably.

Which means my buddies and their 4WDs would be able to out-drive me... can't have that.[>:]

Still, that puts us back in the $400 category. So, who to believe; T-Maxx or Savage? I should get the Associated MT just to be different; but I have a bit of trouble dropping half a grand on an R/C truck...

Old 02-03-2004, 03:26 PM
10karer
My Feedback: (2)

Just ask yourself how much you droped on the heli without the radio and engine
Old 02-03-2004, 07:01 PM
LSP972

Apples vs oranges, my man.

The helos (and planks) are my primary interest. This truck is a diversion, my interest in which may or may not last. I'm only getting one because the two guys I fly with did; no way they're gonna have more fun than me...

Old 02-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Dale Gribble

Hey, if you buy the Sportmaxx right now, you get a free 2-speed upgrade. That is like a $35 value!

So, if you buy the 4wd upgrade and the Sportmaxx, that should set you back about what $335-345?

That means it is exactly like a T-Maxx without reverse, and you save $50!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 AM
LSP972

According to the Traxxas site, that deal ended 15 JAN. Bummer, as I was going to do exactly that when I first began looking into this. But I putzed around and waited too long.

You snooze, you lose...[]

Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 AM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

No Steve, its back on now. Truck has to be purchased after Feb 1 and proof of purchase must be recieved by traxxas no later than May 17th.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Dale Gribble

There you go! Nothing to do now but go out and get your Sportmaxx!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

plus if ordered from tower, anything over 300 has a 25 dollar discount, they are 309 and shipping is about 7 bucks. you pay 330 total for the 4wd two speed maxx with no reverse which most people never use anyway. Can't go wrong with that deal man.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:33 PM
LSP972

I had some stuff to trade for a quick deal. The LHS guy, who is normally a wheeler-dealer, apparently was not in the mood when I stopped by yesterday. No problem, his loss. I'll just take more time to make a better-informed decision, then buy mail order.

I did a detailed exam of the Savage .25 last night. It has some really innovative features, but I see what they mean about it being a PITA to wrench on. Talk about compact and jammed in there! A T-Maxx is much less cramped-up.

Come to think of it, our Nitro Rush was a PITA to work on compared to the RC-10...

I need to find a MGT to look at. But one thing I have realized is that I want the ability to pull-start the engine if the remote starter pukes for whatever reason. No replies yet to my queries regarding this elsewhere. Is it even doable?

Right now, I'm leaning toward the T-Maxx, if for no other reason than it is available in different colors from what my pals have, and putting a Savage SS together will end up being quite pricey; but I've gotten over my immediate desire for instant gratification, so I can be a bit more objective...[8D]

Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 PM
kirk89

i gota t works magnificent i love it
but the mamoth looks nice
Old 02-07-2004, 11:49 PM
BigTMAXX

T-MAXX all the way!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:56 PM
zsportmaxx

Sportmaxx is awesome. Who needs reverse.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 PM
spazzyfry123

I would say T-Maxx, but that SportMaxx deal is pretty hard to pass up on. Now I'm starting to wish that I bought a SportMaxx now instead of my T-Maxx like 1/2 a year ago.[] Oh well, I've got a Fantom now!!!! Just have to wait until Wed. or Thurs. for my pullstart. I might also have to wait for some fuel too (I really don't want to have to run Blue Thunder through it, rather have Trinity or Wildcat).
[8D]
Old 02-09-2004, 12:06 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

ORIGINAL: slodsm

No Steve, its back on now. Truck has to be purchased after Feb 1 and proof of purchase must be recieved by traxxas no later than May 17th.
One of my flying mates bought a pair of Sportmaxxen for his kids as Christmas presents.

When he tried to get his two FREE two-speed transmission upgrades he was told by Traxxas that "the deal didn't apply to mail-order purchases."

Check the fine print before you buy.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:57 AM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: visioneer_one

ORIGINAL: slodsm

One of my flying mates bought a pair of Sportmaxxen for his kids as Christmas presents.

When he tried to get his two FREE two-speed transmission upgrades he was told by Traxxas that "the deal didn't apply to mail-order purchases."

Check the fine print before you buy.
He is right. Here is a cut / paste email I got yesterday from Traxxas:

Burn some rubber...the tires are on us!

Traxxas is giving away FREE wheels and tires with the purchase of a Nitro 4-Tec or Nitro Rustler from your local hobby shop. It's a great extra value on two of our hottest performers! Follow the link below for more information.

http://www.traxxas.com/newsgraphics/...rust-4tec.html

Get a FREE two-speed upgrade module when you purchase a Traxxas SportMaxx from your local hobby shop. This one module can add more than 10mph to the speed of a SportMaxx (over 40mph when installed!). The Link below has all the details.

http://www.traxxas.com/newsgraphics/sportmaxx.html

These are limited time offers available only from your local hobby dealer. Go to www.traxxas.com and use our dealer locator to find the hobby shop nearest you.

Only from dealers.

Personally, I wanted reverse / 4wd / 2 speed which I think was only an option with the savage. That's why I went with the T-maxx. For the extra 80 bucks, it seems like a better deal then buying a sportmaxx and having to upgrade it down the road.
Gotta figure out where / how you want to use the machine, then decide which to buy.

My $.05. Keep the change
Old 02-10-2004, 11:26 AM
LSP972

I came to same conclusion, Crash.

This is an apparent attempt by Traxxas to help out the LHS guys. That's all fine and good, but when you end up hosing the guy with the money in his hand, guess what?

I'm getting the 4WD T-Maxx, and getting it via mail order.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:40 PM
TQ

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

I came to same conclusion, Crash.

This is an apparent attempt by Traxxas to help out the LHS guys. That's all fine and good, but when you end up hosing the guy with the money in his hand, guess what?

I'm getting the 4WD T-Maxx, and getting it via mail order.

where are you ordering yours from?

it seems like Tower has the cheapest price i can find.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXPW87**&P=0
Old 02-10-2004, 03:00 PM
TQ

I wonder if i should get this instead of the HPI MT2...
Old 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
LSP972

Tower.

$379.99 until 29 FEB.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Willthethrill

Hey Guys,
I took advantage of the sportmaxx deal.
I saved 10$ on the FOS (Forward only Shaft)
I saved 60$ on the Reverse.
I saved 30$ on the 2spd. I got it at my LHS. I took advantage of that deal.

Also, on road, the sportmaxx preforms better, Because there is no front diff to screw up turning.

TAKE THE SPORTMAXX AND BE HAPPY.

Cya all.