Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Unloading

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
AddictedtoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unloading

What does it mean whe your differential unloads
Old 09-23-2004, 09:35 PM
oatmealman
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Unloading

i think it means theres no load on them,i could be wrong though
Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 PM
psycooclimber

thats what i think too. taking the load off the differintials
Old 09-24-2004, 07:52 AM
AddictedtoRC

I've seen it used in articles, they say they used oil instead of grease in the diff's to keep them from unloading
Old 09-24-2004, 10:24 AM
fhm101

Where a 2 diff setup like the maxx is concerned, what the reference to is not the diff unloading, but the power from the driveline unloading through the diff. In a standard "open" gear diff like that used on a maxx, power is transfered to the wheel with the least grip. If you are into a corner real hot and your inside front tire lifts clear of the ground, any power in the driveline will go to spin that tire and your truck will slow down untill that tire gets back in contact with the ground.

In a 3 diff setup like an 8th buggy, the center diff can unload into one of the other diffs if that diff is filled with too light of an oil. If for example you are getting good traction to the rear diff and your front end gets light due to a bump, a too light diff oil will cause the power in the driveline to all go to the front diff as long as the front end remains up. You may not even be able to tell it's happening because it does so very quickly. At the most you may see a jerky motion from your buggy, but only in extreme instances. The telltale sign that you are getting this is accelerated wear in your buggy driveline from the constant slamming it's taking from the sometimes continuous load/unload conditions.

In the same 3 diff setup with altered gearing and oversized wheel/tires such as would be the case with a truggy, depending on the natural weight bias of your platform, your driveline will always try to unload to the light end every time you hit the throttle hard unless you use a heavy oil in the center diff. As with the buggy if you run a truggy and are having issues with accelerated driveline wear, usually in the front diff/front center driveshaft, try a heavier center oil and see if that helps.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:48 PM
psycooclimber

thanks