Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:05 AM
shawn24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery

what are some good 7 cell batteries for emaxx
Old 10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
worship_my_model98
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: battery

trinity 3300 zipmetalhydride matched fusion packsnice
Old 10-19-2004, 11:24 AM
shawn24

what site are those batteries on
Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Packs are packs, assuming various mfgs. use GOOD cells (Sanyo, KAN, etc.)

Paying for brand names makes little sense in this arena. Check out this site, they have GREAT prices & only use the best cells!!

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=15

Dean
Old 10-19-2004, 02:14 PM
dr_killer_uk

trinity are best batterys out there
Old 10-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Deandome

Yer' HIGH!!!!

Sanyo, GP, KAN, Panasonic & maybe a few other major companies make EVERY high quality cell for RC use.

Trinity makes them into packs....PERIOD, something a retarded ape could do with proper training. In fact, other companies are using better connectors/soldering techniques (cold?, I forget who), but the only people that need to get anal about this are the indoor/touring car crowd.

Otherwise, you will find ZERO difference in 3300mah 7.2 stick packs made from the same cells by a compitent company. Maybe you want/need matched cells & packs, but that's kinda silly for bashing an E-Maxx, IMHO.
ORIGINAL: dr_killer_uk

trinity are best batterys out there
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 PM
dr_killer_uk

well trinity was selected as best battery in the RC driver's voice your choice awards so people must like them allot so they must be good.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Deandome

They ARE good, just not one iota better than anyone else's (using the same cells). That's a SURVEY, not a test!! Trinity's a HUGE company, they sell LOTS of batts (to people who don't comparison shop), so they got the most votes.

Which means SQUAT!!!

ORIGINAL: dr_killer_uk

well trinity was selected as best battery in the RC driver's voice your choice awards so people must like them allot so they must be good.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
dr_killer_uk

some of the other top ones were Team Orion's SP cells and fusion batteries. Even if they are the same cells the less resistance between the connections make them better. so cheaply made ones just dont' cut it
Old 10-19-2004, 03:44 PM
redheat8

I dont no about the best but I like Fusion cells for the performance and value , RED
Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Deandome

We're wasting too much time on this (both of us!!), but nobody with any rep. makes 'cheap' packs outta GOOD cells. Soldering isn't rocket science, and silicone wire & good connectors (tamiya/deans) are universally used.

The survey you mention & battery reputations in general refer to 6 cell sub-C packs for on-road racing, easily the biggest users of RC car batts, and they are the only ones that use connectors BETWEEN cells...stick packs just stack on top of each other & use solder between them. I think Fusion is the one using the heat-sink "finned" connectors and/or they're the ones claiming their 'cold' soldering technique that supposedly increases pack life....but that's ONLY with the common 6-cell on-road setups, not stick packs!!

But on-roaders spend $500+ on competition chargers/zappers/dischargers, etc, as they push their batteries to their ABSOLUTE limit re. output. But they actually do NOT care to much about overall capacity, as they're only running 5-10 minute heats & they then condition & charge between heats. What THEY need is the highest possible VOLTAGE (or is it amps?) output, and they want to keep that steady for the length of the heats. For THIS they NEED & appreciate matched cells & stuff, which add a lot of $$ to the mix.

E-Maxxers, on the other hand, really care about capacity & run time more than anything else, and they need/want to buy SEVERAL PAIRS of packs so they can run a while without running inside to the charger every 10 minutes!! So all they need is the highest capacity they can afford (3300mah)...and they are all usually high-quality, name brand CELLS, which means you'll get a good # of cycles & stuff.

Dean
Old 10-19-2004, 03:58 PM
shawn24

those superpaxx fusion sure look like a good battery for emaxx
Old 10-19-2004, 09:13 PM
camra88

Dont buy those cheap batteries, where you get 2 batteries for like 30-40 dollars. I can't think of the name of any of them, but they usually have white shrink wrapping. I used to have a pair, right away i noticed they were junk compared to my Sanyo 2400's. Slow, no power, no run time, and their life time is... laughable. Just something to look out for.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:50 AM
CR250R

[link=http://www.specpointbatteries.com]SPC batteries[/link] sells packs specifically for E-Maxx users and/or any RC vehicle that requires 2 battery packs. Their packs are assembled using matched (with labels) GP 3300 cells. I personally own 2 sets of [link=http://www.twinmaxxpacs]SPC's[/link] Twin Maxx Pacs and all I can say is WOW! The packs are assembled in a side-by-side configuration with incredible soldering quality. They are covered with clear shrink wrap so you can see the cell labels. I run my Maxx with the stock motors and 19 tooth pinion gears. I've removed the shift servo and locked the transmission in 2nd gear. The truck runs great with non-stop wheelies and long run times. I've raced my Maxx and had people ask me if I'm running a brushless system. No, it's not as fast as brushless, but it is fast enough to draw attention. This all from 1.145 volt, 6-cell packs. SPC sells a set of matched and assembled Twin Maxx Pacs for $64.95, which is very reasonable. As for the common belief that non-racers (bashers) won't notice or don't need the benefits that matched cells offer, that’s simply not true. Especially with an E-Maxx. The more cells that are connected in series the more important it is that the cells be matched. If a Maxx user runs the vehicle down to a crawl (which should never be done) at the end of a discharge cycle, the weakest cell(s) will be damaged. The more miss-matched the cells are, the more likely this will happen. All things being equal, matched cells provide more performance up-front, longer and more consistent runtimes and less chance for any given cell to be damaged by over discharging.