Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAAAAAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 03:17 PM
chetscc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAAAAAY!!!

I can not get over the fact that my T-Maxx will run great one day and not at all the next. I sure wish I new what I was doing wrong! I would like to go to the track but every time I think I got my finger on my tuning trouble the truck wont start or stay running. Usually one or the other. Anybody else having these problems.

Anybody else have these problems and have any pointers or tips about the tuning and or the lack of.

Sorry for the rant. My wife does not understand/care and just laughs when I tell her.

Brandon
Old 10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
psycooclimber

Default RE: MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAAAAAY!!!

ya i gave up and will get an OS soon
Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
chetscc

Yeah, The funny thing is tonight the truck ran pretty good other then a few air bubbles. I will be buying the new O.S. .18 TM when it comes out in November.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:50 PM
ratman572

You are not alone.

After trying repeatedly to get my 2.5 to run right, I also gave up.

Unreliable idle, sticky carb slide, very sensitive to barometric changes, etc. etc.

I bit the bullet and got the new Sirio .23. It isn't even fully broke-in yet. The Sirio so far seems to be exactly what I am looking for. It starts easily, -every time, and holds needle settings very well (very minor adjustments of course). I am on the fourth tank and slowly sqeezing down on it, and so far, I really like what I am seeing.

One of the other guys on the forum quoted "you get what you pay for", -and quite honestly, I would have to agree.

Time will tell how well this new engine is going to work out. Even with the thing running slobbery rich, it still has impressive throttle response and an ultra-reliable idle. I would have to say that this new engine from Sirio is going to be a winner for sure.

I definitely feel your frustration with the 2.5 engine. I myself don't want to fart around for 20 minutes everytime I want to run a couple of tanks of fuel. I would rather spend my time playing than trying to keep the engine running.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 AM
ZondaC12

YES get an o.s. .18 tm. im angry cuz they came out with it about a month after i got my o.s. .18 cv-rx(s) for my sportmaxx and had to buy diff header, etc.[:@] but my o.s. .18 runs beautifully. it starts easy, has great power, have to adjust needles a couple times/MONTH. its awesome. plus what im aslo not happy about it the TM has even more power than the cv-rx. 1.6 vs 1.35. and of course it works with the awesome ez start! rrr! [:@] oh well what can you do? stuff like that happens. im still perfectly content with my cv-rx. just lettin ya know that an o.s. .18 is a great idea to replace the crappy 2.5, which, with my second one i got through the replacement plan (the first one was awesome!) after my p/s finally wore out, i had problems like youre having. though mainly just could not tune it good. always started and ran good, but never stopped overheating unless it was so rich the thing moved like it was made of lead.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:45 AM
tristy

try warming it up with a hair dryer first then take it outside and try starting it. Thats what i did with my revo and it started first time.hope you get it started.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:02 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Are the weather conditions changing between successful runs and unsuccessful runs? If so, keep in mind that the trx engine is really sensitive and will require minor adjustment for weather variations (temperature, humidity, pressure)

Mine was quite picky at first, but I managed to get it dialed in and it is tight now, runs well whther it is sunny and 95 or raining and 60.

I would be hesitant to replace such an expensive engine while it is still fairly new. But if you decide to replace it with a new engine, let me know, I'd be interested in buying your stock one if the price is fair for a used engine. (if you decide to replace it and are interested in selling it, email me at [email protected])

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:15 AM
chetscc

ZondaC12,

Sorry to hear about your timing but I believe you still have the best .18 on the market to date.

tristy,

Is this something you need to do even with other engines?

ratman572

Do you think that sirio .23 is going to ruin diffs or any of your stock drive components?

tommythecat,

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I decide to sell it. I am not sure how much I will drive it in the winter anyway.

Brandon
Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 AM
theedge001

I had some similar probs when i first got my tmaxx, and after so much tuning and scratching my head i removed the high speed needle to find that it was half blocked with some crap, i removed that and its been sweet ever since .... just a thought .......Good Luck
Old 10-29-2004, 08:06 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Also, if you have ever removed or even loosened the highspeed needle fixture (the brass fitting, not the needle itself) you may need to realign it with the fuel tube, but I won't go into that unless you say you have.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:59 AM
ratman572

In response to chetscc,

I'm not sure at this point if the .23 is going to be a problem with the mostly stock drivetrain.

The one very serious problem I have is the weight of the truck. It is all aluminum, and it's heavy (12 pounds).

I'm pretty sure that it will end up something like this:
Big cubes+heavy truck+stock drivetrain=grenaded parts.

I did at least upgrade the center drivelines and half shafts with dynamite steel shafts. I also installed the traxxas forward only kit.

We'll see how it goes. I need to get rid of some weight. I bought this truck used with the American CNC skeleton, -and I am convinced that this truck could benefit from some lighter parts (even if they are plastic).

I'm considering going back to a stock chassis plate and plastic a-arms.

I guess while most guys are spending money on aluminum, I'm trying to get rid of it to save some weight.

I'll post as things unfold.