Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

FREAKIN PLASTIC PArTS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
XSiVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREAKIN PLASTIC PArTS!

so im replacing my clutch disc on my tmaxx tonight and I had to take the tranny out to do it.. When I went to put the tranny back in the screws that go in from the bottom just never got tight... they went in but never tightened up at all...

W T F is up with using soft plastic as something to screw these tiny threaded machine screws into?! Is this some cruel joke that traxxas likes to play on their customers so they will buy aluminum aftermarket parts?! its ridiculous! so far I've apparently stripped out about 8 random screws all over the place on my tmaxx and honestly I havent been over tightening.. am I putting them in too fast and its heating up this S4!TTY material!?

sorry for the rant, I just think its a horrible design.. any tips?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:48 PM
XSiVE

Default RE: FREAKIN PLASTIC PArTS!

here's my concern.. Since 3 of the 8 screws didnt tighten down im afraid my tranny will shift and ill eat up another spur gear... is there anything I can do?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
ThermalRD

On my original maxx i had stripped some screws out of that tranny mounting area. Back when i was big into maxx trucks i know some guys ran longer screws threw a couple holes on the tranny, and use nuts on the end of them. I havent had any problem stripping threads out of my sons 2.5 maxx. Another note on that topic. Check to see if those threads that stripped are plastic thread screws going in there, or machine thread. Years ago when i was into 8th scale i learned to use machine thread screws in EVERYTHING. If you arent using them, start using them. Any of todays screw kits should be all machine thread.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

1) With the outer most tranny screws (all 4??) you can drill them out & use longer screws w/locknuts. The middle ones you can't do that to, but the corners should help a lot.

2) FullForce makes a special screw/brass threaded thingie kit SPECIFICALLY FOR THIS COMMON T-MAXX PROBLEM!!!! You drill out all the holes in the tranny from the bottom, insert the threaded brass inserts, and you're set!! It even comes with a drill bit that stops before you drill to deep!!

http://www.fullforcerc.com/screw_kits.htm
http://www.fullforcerc.com/help_page.htm#insert kit installation

I have this insert kit, as it was a cheap add-on to their (very good) oxide screw kit (special #3 http://www.fullforcerc.com/specials.htm ). If you're thinking about a screw kit (and you should if you don't have one!!), get this!!

Dean
Old 10-27-2004, 03:04 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Fill the holes with JB weld and then drill them out just slightly smaller than the screws. The screws should self thread in the JB weld if you drill them the right size, and the JB weld will not strip as easily as the plastic.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:16 PM
RCKid1992

i hae had the same problem