Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

is my 2 speed working on my emaxx??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 AM
blueb8llz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my 2 speed working on my emaxx??

hi there, i just bought a used emaxx. is there a way i can tell if the 2 speed tran. is working or not. when i flip that switch on the controller..i see that the servo is moving...dunno if that means anything. can somebody tell me some way s i can do to check if the 2 speed works. i hope i didnt get ripped off. oh btw, can i change from low gear to high gear while im pushing on the throttle, or do i have to let go of the throttle for a sec.?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Infinite Gundam

Default RE: is my 2 speed working on my emaxx??

You should hear different pitch for 1st and 2nd gear when you throttle. I have tried shifting without letting go of the throttle, the tranny just made a strange grinding noise but did not shift to 2nd gear, therefore it is necessary to momentarily release throttle to shift as stated in the manual.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 AM
blueb8llz

o great...i dont hear a different pitch. its sounds pretty much the same. and i tried switching from low to high gear while driving...it didnt make a grinding noise either! is there any other ways i can check to see if my 2 speed works or not? or is there something i can do to my servo ..or something...maybe its not broken but the seller did something.....
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 AM
Infinite Gundam

The top speeds of the 1st and 2nd gear are significantly differently, you should be able to tell easily.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
blueb8llz

am i able to run the emaxx starting with the second gear or do i need to start in first?
should i hear the different pitch in sound say when i start off in first gear...then i release throttle for a second, switch to second gear, press throttle again....so is now the time when i hear the different pitch??? i really hope my 2 speed aint jacked. if it is...does anybody know how i can fix this problem?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:07 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

The 2 speed tranny is an automatic. You do not shift it, it shifts itself. You should not have to flip and switch or worry about any servos related to 2nd gear. You should notice the vehicle accelerate to a high RPM and then notice the RPM's drop for a split second while the truck continues to accelerate. that is how you can tell it is hitting second. If your emaxx goes much over 20 mph then it must be hitting 2nd (just a guess on the speed, don't flame me if I'm off by a bit.)
Old 03-21-2005, 02:29 PM
tndiverdown

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

The 2 speed tranny is an automatic. You do not shift it, it shifts itself. You should not have to flip and switch or worry about any servos related to 2nd gear. You should notice the vehicle accelerate to a high RPM and then notice the RPM's drop for a split second while the truck continues to accelerate. that is how you can tell it is hitting second. If your emaxx goes much over 20 mph then it must be hitting 2nd (just a guess on the speed, don't flame me if I'm off by a bit.)
The E-maxx is not automatic like the T. You have to shift it with the 3rd channel.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
tndiverdown

ORIGINAL: blueb8llz

am i able to run the emaxx starting with the second gear or do i need to start in first?
should i hear the different pitch in sound say when i start off in first gear...then i release throttle for a second, switch to second gear, press throttle again....so is now the time when i hear the different pitch??? i really hope my 2 speed aint jacked. if it is...does anybody know how i can fix this problem?
You can run it in either gear from a stand still, but to get good wheelies and climbing torque, use 1st. 2nd is more for wide open flat areas. Maybe you need to take your truck to your local hobby shop and let them look at it if you can't figure out the difference between first and second and whether or not it is shifting.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 PM
tommythecat

ORIGINAL: BL_Force

The E-maxx is not automatic like the T. You have to shift it with the 3rd channel.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I always just assumed they would use the same auto tranny. I guess they wanted a use for the third channel.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:57 PM
thumpin15s

nope they couldn't use the same tranny, cuz the t-maxx tranny has an internal clutch. you can shift w/out letting off the throttle, but it takes longer. If you floor it, let go to shift then floor it again it shifts right away. first gear should do wheelies, 2nd gear should take off a little slower.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:11 PM
tommythecat

I'm not sure why the internal clutch would mean that they couldn't use the t-maxx tranny on the e-maxx. Why would the clutch prevent them from using it on an electric. The shifting is based on RPM and should be independent of power source right??? I guess I really don't know Jack about e-maxx's but this has me a bit confused.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
tndiverdown

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

I'm not sure why the internal clutch would mean that they couldn't use the t-maxx tranny on the e-maxx. Why would the clutch prevent them from using it on an electric. The shifting is based on RPM and should be independent of power source right??? I guess I really don't know Jack about e-maxx's but this has me a bit confused.
Braking and reverse are accomplished with the motor on an electric. If you used a t-maxx tranny with a one way bearing, neither would be possible.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
thumpin15s

that, PLUS nitro motors run at higher rpm's then electric motors. an electric motor would waste half of its power band just getting the clutch to engage.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
hotchi1

put your truck between your legs then nail the throttle. then let of and remember how hard it pushed. then shift and try agin it shoould either get stronger or weaker
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
blueb8llz

is the servo link suppose to be doin something to the tranny? when i switch gears standing still, its pushing the spring back and forth...is it suppose to be moving the link?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
camra88

I want to thank BL force for clearing up some of the confusion before i got here!

The emaxx tranny can shift silently if you let off the throttle completly, switch gears, then get on the throttle again. it will make a grinding sound when you shift gears while you are still lightly on the throttle (the grinding you hear is the shifting fork not being able to engage the other gear, so it grinds against the gears its trying to shift into... if you dont understand, take the tranny apart, pretty self-explainatory)

The shifting rod has to go in, so the flat part of the rod is flush with the tranny case (that rubber seal). And to engage the other gear, the shifting rod has to be out until it stops (you have to move the truck a little bit on the ground with your hand for the shifting fork to engage in the other gear after you shift gears while the truck is standing still, in order for the rod to be out completely. the spring on the shifting rod should be compressed a little bit when in either gears).
Old 03-21-2005, 08:33 PM
blueb8llz

ok the shifting rod is going in and out. seems to be working...but i m just worried because i dont hear any grinding noises at all when i shift from low to high or high to low when im pressing on the throttle. and i really dont see a difference in speed when i keep it on only low gear and only on high gear. seems to me that its very difficult for you guys to explain a way to see if my 2 speed is working...ive gotten numerous reply s from diff. ppl...and still confused...THANKS for everyone's time and effort in tryin to help btw. i might just have to bring it to my local store..but its just a far far drive.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

try this put the truck on the ground and keep it in first. then hit full throttle you should see the front wheels come off the ground. now go back to where you took off at and come to a complete stop again, then switch to second and hit full throttle. it should have slow acceleration and no wheelies..... i mean you should be able to tell the other ways but maybe this will help you out. the emaxx isnt very fast with 6 cells. so maybe thats why you cant tell? i dont really know call traxxas if this doesnt help. the number is 1888traxxas
Old 03-22-2005, 12:54 AM
blueb8llz

that sounds fairly simple. imma try that in the morning tomo. im using the venom 3300 6 cell batteries. so for sure on low gear i will do a wheelie? or at least a mini wheelie right? and for sure high gear does not do wheelies with the batteries im using? ill let you guys know the results.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
smitty4

yes for sure...
i have venom 3000 6 cell. they are decent batteries. i mean yea you should do a wheelie if not something is wrong. let me know. it maybe that one of your motors is not working and if so you we need to figure it out pretty soon cause traxxas will be at fault.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:29 AM
camra88

OK, this is fairly simple to diagnose.

First thing about the motors, remove the pinion gear from a motor of your choice, and see if the other motor has enough power by itself to move the emaxx to a decent speed. Dont run it much on one motor, otherwise you WILL overheat and kill the motor. Then do the same thing on your other motor (and put the pinion on the other motor). If both motors are capable of moving the emaxx at about the same speed as each other, its NOT the motors.

Next thing, it could be your slipper clutch. This is adjusted by the bolt screwed onto the end of the spur gear (big black plastic gear that meshes with the motor pinions). If it is loose, you wont beable to reach full speed in second gear, as the slipper clutch will be slipping. Tighten it down all the way (until it stops, you may have to use some force to counteract the spring) with the included wrench that came with the truck. Then back it out 1/8 of a turn. After doing this, drive your emaxx. Can you tell any difference?

If none of those fix your problem, turn on your emaxx and your remote, and put it in first gear. move the truck forward and backward BY HAND. Is it kind of hard to move? THen shift it to second gear, and do the same thing. It should be much easier to move back and forth by hand now. If you dont notice that happening, you are going to need to take apart your your tranny. Look at the exploded view in the manual that came with your truck so you know how to take it apart and put it back together. If you dont have the manual, traxxas has this manual in .PDF format on their website at www.traxxas.com
If you see anything broken, or something that doesnt go together with what the exploded view shows, you may need to replace a broken part in it.

When taking the tranny apart, don't worry about not knowing how to put it back together. there is only 4 big plastic gears and a metal rod with 2 gears on them... you can put it back together with out using the exploded view.. pretty easy. Just remember that the bigger gears have a slit in them that the shifting fork pokes its rods into to shift into the appropriate gear. One side of these gears have a longer shaft on one side. you want that side poiting AWAY from the shifting fork (the white round thing with 2 knobs on each side, between both those big gears), otherwise the shifting fork will be unable to full engage into the gear, and when you drive it, you will hear lots of grinding... lol.

Good luck with everything!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
blueb8llz

ok fellas...i tried all the things u guys told me to do...they pretty much passed all the test..most likely my 2 speed is working...i DO see a difference...its alil bit faster. am i right..or is the top speed suppose to be REAL faster than low speed? and btw, i punched it at low speed, but still no wheelie...not even a tiny one!! so is there sumthing wrong then?? now i got something else to worry about.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:29 PM
hotchi1

check you sliper
Old 03-26-2005, 09:05 PM
smitty4

yea tighten your slipper and why your at it take the little allen screws out of the black case behind the motors. see if there is wear on the gears in there. then tighten the nut you will see with a spring towards the back. you will have to get the plyers to hold the motor and tighten it a little. i have mine loose where it wont do wheelies because it twists my rear driveshafts like crazy.