Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

are the RPM shock towers any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
blueb8llz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are the RPM shock towers any good?

my stock shock towers just cracked and now i need new ones. i was told the RPM shock towers are pretty good because the tend to bend a lil when theres extreme pressure.
is there a better brand out there i should take a look at or should i get these ones. i dont want aluminum or metal. i also noticed the RPM ones only have one hole for the shock mounts, does rpm make ones that has more than one hole?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 AM
ratman572

Default RE: are the RPM shock towers any good?

In my opinion, the RPM nylon towers seem a bit too flexy.

Most of the ones I've seen that have been installed for a while are pretty bent over from the stress.

To my knowledge, they only offer them with the single hole.

If you don't want aluminum, stick with the stock ones, they work pretty well.

The stock pieces may not be bulletproof, but they're inexpensive and easy to swap out if and when they do break.

If the bending and flexing doesn't bother you, then go with the RPM stuff as it probably won't break.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
blueb8llz

does the bending and flexing ruin the handling of the emaxx? it seems like it would...dunno for the better or worse tho. i see the stock ones on ebay for really cheap ..maybe i should just go back to stock. but i only see the ones for the 2.5 e/t maxx. would these fit my older narrow version emaxx??
Old 03-22-2005, 01:30 AM
blueb8llz

hmm...anyone else have comments on the RPM shock towers. i sorta wanted more than one opinion. and if anybody know if the flexing and bending helps or does not help my handling...please tell.cus now im thinking i would rather get the rpm ones...even tho stock ones are cheap..im scared i would have to replace them over and over and over. if someone actually owns the rpm towers, since there is only one hole, which height would it be on the stock ones?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 AM
ratman572

ORIGINAL: blueb8llz

does the bending and flexing ruin the handling of the emaxx? it seems like it would...dunno for the better or worse tho.
To be real honest, if you're not a racer, I wouldn't worry about the flexy shock towers, -it just looks kinda silly to see bent parts on an otherwise nice truck

i see the stock ones on ebay for really cheap ..maybe i should just go back to stock. but i only see the ones for the 2.5 e/t maxx. would these fit my older narrow version emaxx??
If it were me, I'd stick with the stock ones. As for them fitting the narrow-maxx, -yes, they interchange perfectly.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:44 AM
blueb8llz

really the 2.5 t/e maxx shock towers will fit my OLD ORIGINAL NARROW version emaxx??? i looks the same to me, but i asked 3 local hobby stores and they all said no, the 2.5 are a little wider. one even said i would need to get a conversion kit. hahah just to buy a $5.00 shock tower geez. can i get 2-3 more opinions to know if they will fit my emaxx.
i guess i will just go back to stock ones but needa know for sure they will fit my narrow version before i purchase.
thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 03:20 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX
My Feedback: (1)

Rpm shock towers only bend and flex under EXTREME conditions of hardcore bashing. Some people have an extremely hard time breaking rpm. It is designed to flex to absorb the impact. If it breaks rpm will replace it for free.

I am not 100% sure but i think they will fit.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
ratman572

ORIGINAL: Rpm shock towers only bend and flex under EXTREME conditions of hardcore bashing.
I strongly disagree. I have seen those things bend just sitting overnight installed on a truck, ......-not impressed.

Some people have an extremely hard time breaking rpm. It is designed to flex to absorb the impact. If it breaks rpm will replace it for free.
Yeah yeah yeah, free replacement. Still not impressed, -at least not the shock towers. Everything else I have seen them make looks great, -I fact I run their arms exclusively.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

Hey you cant get better than FREE. Rpm plastics are some of the most durable all their products are designed to flex under extreme conditons. It all comes down to this, Who cares if it bends (which it isnt as bad as you really imply) IF (being the key word) it does break RPM will replace it for FREE! You cant get any better than that. At one time I was questioning the quality of rpm and their products but the flowing good comments about rpm in my thread convinced me.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Afterburn1

I bash mostly but every once in a while I hit a local track. Would the flex of the RPM products, mainly arms is what I'm talking about, effect the handling? I understand extreme conditions are not really encountered very much in a dirt track race but I'm just curious. I wanted to try and get blue anondized aluminum for my revo but I saw how cheap the rpm prices are.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:34 PM
hotchi1

get the proline ones. they are super stron and have multiple mounting positions
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 AM
BaSh_2_tHa_mAxX

In a thread a while ago there was some debait about rpm not being raceworthy. However in the end it really didnt matter rpm was fine for racing. You got the wrong improssion rpm wont flex until it is all twisted up and mongulated. It will temporaily flex and abosrb the impact. How ever under real extreme conditions it may cause damage. In a crash the impact it would take to bend a rpm or break an rpm product to the point where its un usable there is sure to be if there was aluminium chosen alot of bent destroyed pricy aluminium.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
.21RC10GT

I ran an rpm shock tower in the rear of my t-maxx for a while... After a hard days bash, there was a big dent in my header from it flexing. Oh well, at least nothing broke. I now have fast lane machine towers, and they offer a replacement plan just like rpm.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Rcbros

I have this set http://rcbros.com/cart/Scripts/prodV...?idproduct=103 on one my maxx's.
And I have RPM on the other. I haven't had a problem with either. Yes RPM's bend alittle but its because its plastic.

BOTH Fast Lane and RPM have lifetime warranties on there parts. I personally like both fine. But If I had to pic I would pic the FLM shock towers because of two reasons.
1. Multiple Shock Locations
2. Looks sweet! lol

But really its all personal preference. I haven't had problem with severe flexing from the RPM shock towers. My guess is you body mounts sit to high causing the flew.

Thats my .98 cents hope it helps on your decision.