Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Big Joe's making the 2.5r feel the burn!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:14 AM
McFrosty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Joe's making the 2.5r feel the burn!

So I recently installed a set of Big Joe 40's on my Revo and these tires are awesome! the extra width makes is extremely stable even when wide open. Brake hard and crake the wheels and its super responsive with no roll at all. I have to try pretty hard to flip it over now and aggressive tread pattern definately makes is dig in the snow. 4-3 inches of wet snow is no problem now.

The only issue is these tires are big and heavy and my poor 2.5r just can keep the wheel speed up in the deep stuff.

I need more torque so I'm looking for some tips to get more power from my engine. I have an OS .18tm but I don't want to use it in the winter. Want to wait until spring and get as much power now as I can.

So what do you all suggest?

So far I've gone with the forward only conversion to cut down on rotating mass as well as a single servo converison with a VERY power Futaba meal gear servo (I forget which one exactly but turning the wheels is no problem)

I'm also ordering the Resonator pipe as it claims 20% increase in bottom end power.

And other suggestions to get more grunt from the 2.5r?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Oliverhm

Default RE: Big Joe's making the 2.5r feel the burn!

Replace the header gasket with a higher compression ratio copper washer, use more % nitro?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:33 PM
nicholsm04
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: McFrosty

So I recently installed a set of Big Joe 40's on my Revo and these tires are awesome! the extra width makes is extremely stable even when wide open. Brake hard and crake the wheels and its super responsive with no roll at all. I have to try pretty hard to flip it over now and aggressive tread pattern definately makes is dig in the snow. 4-3 inches of wet snow is no problem now.

The only issue is these tires are big and heavy and my poor 2.5r just can keep the wheel speed up in the deep stuff.

I need more torque so I'm looking for some tips to get more power from my engine. I have an OS .18tm but I don't want to use it in the winter. Want to wait until spring and get as much power now as I can.

So what do you all suggest?

So far I've gone with the forward only conversion to cut down on rotating mass as well as a single servo converison with a VERY power Futaba meal gear servo (I forget which one exactly but turning the wheels is no problem)

I'm also ordering the Resonator pipe as it claims 20% increase in bottom end power.

And other suggestions to get more grunt from the 2.5r?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!
I got a cold air intake, and it seemed to help with the bottom end. Might try one of those, K&N Makes them
Old 01-09-2006, 09:15 AM
plaidfish

ORIGINAL: nicholsm04
I got a cold air intake, and it seemed to help with the bottom end. Might try one of those, K&N Makes them
Please tell me this is not serious.......seriously....
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

reduce your gearing.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
itspuddingtime00

gearing of course will have the most dramatic effect. Definatly get a 40t spur.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Deandome

OOPS!! Noticed you said 'Big Joe 40s'...not just Big Joe's. So my somewhat tongue-in-cheek slam might not apply as much, but I'ms still pretty sure they're still a lot taller than other tires, so I ain't that far off!

I won't get into how Big Joes are rather obsolete, ain't good for racing or bashing, that the only reason you're truck is more stable & bites into snow better is that they're so big & heavy, the cartoonish diamater forces your engine to work a LOT harder & your truck looks funny & you sholuda gone w/40 Series.
No...won't mention that at all

But now that you've got 'em, you DO have to change your gearing, as the tire geometry has already done that by changing number of wheel revolutions needed to cover "X" distance.

But what you really need is a bigger engine!!! A the 2.5R is a high-strung screamer that's pushing everything it can outta it's limited displacement. You need DISPLACEMENT to crank the Joes...I'd skip the .18 and go right to the Picco .26 drop-in, or get the BB conversion mount & go w/a .28.

It's kinda like comparing a nice turbo 4-cylinder to a bigger V-6/8....the horsepower might be similar, but the torque isn't and the lil' one works harder & hotter...ergo it doesn't last as long, either.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 AM
McFrosty

Thanks for all the replys. I definately understand some of you bashing the Big Joes but I thought about it quite a bit and I made the right choice for me as I don't race, only bash. I treat it like a 4x4 truck and like the challange of making it through a rough patch of mud or a big rocky hill, etc.

I would love a .26 or .28 but the Revo came with a .18tm already and funds are somewhat low recently so the OS .18 with good pipe is what I'll be working with until summer. Then there will definately be a big block .28 or .30VG maybe.

My truck is really heavy as it also has an RC solutions roll cage which is soon to be replaced with a titanium replica I'm having cut for it so bigger engine is definately required.

An extra fuel tank is also being mounted inside the roll cage. I think its a 200CC tank.

Anyone have any experience running dual tanks? Is there enough pressure from the exhaust to push fuel through both tanks? Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Deandome

and funds are somewhat low
soon to be replaced with a titanium replica I'm having cut for it
So that's the bargain-basement HAND MADE TITANIUM ROLLCAGE I've read so much about?

Dean
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 PM
McFrosty

lol, point taken. I try to keep my priorities straight but sometimes I come up with a "good" idea and I end up spending money.

Really all I'm doing is taking the RC Solutions roll cage I have to a local place does cutting with a water jet and getting them to replicate the RC solutions cage in titanium. It shouldn't be that expensive as they can just scan the existing cage and cut at 1:1 scale.

Also, I hadn't actually looked at prices on .28s or .30s and they aren't as expensive as I thought they would be so there could be a Collari .30 or similar BB in the works in a month or so.

Titanium cage on top, titanium Hard Core Racing full skid plate on the bottom. RPM a-arms & steering blocks (already installed) and it'll be indestructable.

Or at least stronger.