Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

front end alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end alignment question

hey guys, to put it nicely... my front end is hosed!!!

I need to adjust the toe in and camber and all of that stuff, I have the stuff and know how to do it, but have been wondering about it.. when you guys do the alignment, do you do it with the tires off or on? what's some good basic settings to put this at? I'm just using it in the yard for bashing..
Old 01-24-2006, 11:52 AM
SlowDriver

Default RE: front end alignment question

I think the best way is to do it with wheels on, but not tires. Tires flare at the edges and can throw off your measurements.

You can also get a camber guage from your LHS or Tower Hobbies ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKHC3&P=ML ).
Old 01-24-2006, 12:00 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

I was actually thinking with the wheels/tires off just due to the tires changing shape.. unfortunately, my tires are glued to the rims.. I wonder if just picking the truck up and getting the tires off of the ground would help... (i.e. put on a starter box while I adjust the camber, etc)

Old 01-24-2006, 02:30 PM
SlowDriver

While measuring your stuff your suspension needs to be at normal ride height. As the suspension moves your camber and toe can change and your settings could be off. If you've got old rims you can use them, or you can just buy a cheap set. The TMaxx stock rims are about $10/pair. Then you could install them on one end of your truck and perch the other end.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:54 PM
maxx0619
My Feedback: (1)

set it at normal ride height w/ tires and rims mounter. use a 2x4 and an rpm camber gauge to set both toe and camber front and rear. very simple to do!!! try -2 degrees camber all around, -2 degrees toe in on the rear, and 0 degrees toe in front
Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
SlowDriver

maxx0619,

Why do you say set with rims AND TIRES mounted? I agree with everything but that. If your tires are mounted at all off-kilter on the rim it could throw the settings off. Don't you think?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Wevie

I do it with the tires and rims mounted on the truck. I will rotate the tire and take four or measurements to see how it changes as the tire turns. I do this on every wheel. If I find something that changes dramatically (more than .5*) then I will investigate to find out why.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:23 PM
maxx0619
My Feedback: (1)

exactly. just like you align a full size vehicle!!!