Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

how to break in engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:58 PM
mfishman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to break in engine?

sorry i never broke in engines.im stupid also i dont get the needle thing. like its to lean and how to adjust the engine. sorry

also how so you know if you broke in an engine
Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: how to break in engine?

If you have a Traxxas vehicle then it came with a very good instruction manual and DVD. Watch the DVD several times and read and reread the manual alot. If you don't have the manual and DVD then go to Traxxas.com. They have all that and more online.
If you still don't get it then check back. Folks here are more than willing to help but you'll get better responses if you try to help yourself first. You'll also be better able to understand the answers you recieve.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Airpressure

It depends on which engine you have I do what ever the manufacturer recommends.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 PM
mfishman

ok thanks im getting a t-maxx in about a week so im gettin prepared!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Airpressure

Tuning is something that takes a while to learn how to do, here is a few problems you will most likely run into,

This is a tuning troubleshooting guide I have put together. I know that tuning a nitro engine van some times get very annoying and just about impossible sometimes. So here is some common problems that I hear and the cures for them.

1. I have heard people say they have the problem of there engine stalling after a high speed run. The most common reason this happens is the LSN (low speed needle) is too lean. If this problem continues and you have richened your LSN it could be time for an engine rebuild.
2. The question “sluggish acceleration” comes up just about all the time. The most common cause of this problem is a rich LSN. It may sound something like burrrrrrrrrr. The engine is actually “loading up” with lubrication and unburnt fuel because there is not enough available air to burn off all the excess fuel. Lean the LSN and it will most likely do better.
3. If you normally have great acceleration but after your engine sits at idle for about 10 seconds and then you hit the throttle and it has a sluggish take off it is another sign of the LSN being to rich.
5. If your idle is unstable or changes speed every few high speed runs you take, the LSN is most likely too lean.
6. If your idle only lasts a short period of time before slowing down and eventually stalling, your LSN is too rich. It gets too much lubrication which slows the engine speed down.

Well we are now done with just about all the LSN problems I can think of right now. Now on to the HSN

1. It won’t shift into 2nd gear all the time. That is either a to rich HSN or your shift point is set for a to high RPM. If it is because your engine is running rich just lean it about 1/12 of a turn every few high speed runs and see if it starts to shift to 2nd gear.
2. Engine stalls when I hit the throttle wide open. This is just about always because your HSN is WAY to rich. Unless you have been driving it at super slow speed for a long time, it will most likely be a rich HSN.
3. Cuts out when I hit the throttle wide open. This is either a real lean HSN or a bad glow plug. If it is a lean HSN don’t ever keep driving it like that Very bad for you engine!
4.4. If you have been driving your nitro engine for about half a tank and then it starts to bogg down, (it may also sound like burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) That is a sign of “overheating” (the piston and sleeve expand more the the proper amount) the engine isn’t getting the proper amount of lubrication so it has a higher temp. than normal. It means you are too lean on most likely the HSN (high speed needle) or it could be both needles.

Airpressure’s tips&tricks
Old 01-29-2006, 09:56 PM
mfishman

also how so you know if you broke in an engine
Old 01-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Blackhawk4
My Feedback: (1)

ohh trust you will hear when something breaks by the sound of engine or if someone tells you[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 PM
oc off road

http://www.outlawrc.com/engine_break-in.htm

I use this method on all my engines with great results.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Airpressure

I use something very similar to that. If its a Traxxas motor I do it how they tell me too.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 PM
RevoAddict

check this article for [link=http://valleynitro.net/portal/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=205&PN=1]heat cycle[/link] break in. Its easy and enjoyable way to breakin.