Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo hard work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
SlowDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo hard work?

Ok, my Maxx is a pretty easy machine to work on. It's easy to replace the spur gear, springs, etc. without having to take the whole truck apart.

But on my Revo ... DANG!!!

1. Just to remove my shocks required removal of my rockers and exhaust pipe, with not a whole lot of space to work in. Plus the tension from the springs was a pain for reinstallation!! And the pins at the end of the shocks are hard to work back into position.

2. Replacement of my spur required the removal of the engine to get to the spur.

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but these don't seem like quick track-side repairs.

What are your opinions? Am I missing something that could make life easier?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Revo hard work?

Shocks shouldn't require the removal of the exhaust pipe nor the rockers. You might just have to play with it a little to get it to work... like moving the suspension up and down to get to 'em. For the rear shocks, I remove the fuel tank (2 clips and it's out) then, I take the first shock out... then work on the second. The second one is the one closest to the engine, and I'm sure that's the one you're having most problems with. If you push the wheel up... you should be able to take the screw out of the rocker... then you take the other one out... and you've got 'em out. Putting 'em back in is a bit tougher, but it can be done. What I do is.. slide the rod into the rocker and put the screw in (I usually don't tighten it yet... just put it in.. then put the shock in place, and grab a small object (I usually use my smallest hex) and put it in the pivot ball... and line it up so that it goes into the shock tower.. put your screw in.. and tighten... same with the other one... then put the tank back on.

For the Spur gear, you are correct, it's a bit tougher than some of the other trucks. I usually take the transmission out instead of the engine... it doesn't mess with your mesh... and it's only about 6-8 screws... done in about 5-10 minutes. To take the transmission out, start by turning the truck upside down and removing the driveshafts (two set pins hold 'em on) Then, take off the skidplate for the transmission (this also loosens the transmission from the chassis). Turn the truck over. Take off the brake lever (there's two ways, I usually just take out the hex screw that holds it on) At that point, it should come out... if you still have reverse, you'll have to remove the optidrive sensor before completely removing the transmission. There ya have it... The Revo LOOKS deceiving... many things can be easily done quickly...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
SlowDriver

Yeah, I thought about all that, and I didn't actually have to REMOVE the exhaust. I just had to loosen it from the little fastener (the rod at the back of the truck) in order to get to the rocker screws. I didn't remove the tank, as I guess I hadn't thought of that. I guess I'm just not used to that type of setup. The old style shock setup on the TMaxx is much easier to tinker with, but I think the rocker way is the way to go.

As far as the spur I was thinking about removing the tranny too. But still, that's a bit of a pain compared to other trucks.

Now please, don't think that in any way this diminishes my love of the Revo at all. All I can say about that is "Wahoo!!!"
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM
itspuddingtime00

It gets easier when you have to work on it all the time. Just be lucky you don't have to mess with a savage. Now theres a truck that is truely hard to work on. I actually think the revo is one of the easiest MT's to work on
Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 PM
DaveG55

Savage - a real pain to work on.
LST - easy to work on.
T-Maxx - very easy to work.

Revo, somewhere between the Savage and the LST
Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 AM
ProfitOfDoom

Not that it matters here,But yes the Tmaxx is the simplest thing to work on,,you can get to just about every screw on it with no probs,,,I just love how simple it is