Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Electric Start??????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 01:13 AM
thirdgen_87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Start??????????

Hey guys how is everyone? Well I have been havin some prblems with my electric start. It doesn't like to start in the cold i guess the gears and shaft shrink just enough in the cold that they won't catch. Also, yesterday i tried to take my maxx for a rip and the stupid electric start motor started smoking and went for a crap. I tried it again today and it seemed to be working. But anyway my question is should I free myself of the hassle and just get a pull start and glow plug screwdriver thing or should i keep my ez start? It's not like i race or anyhting but i get pretty competitive with my buddies and I like hitting jumps. So lemme know what ya think. Thanks everyone.

Kris Reynolds
Old 01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Indecline099

Default RE: Electric Start??????????

idk if you want to go for the pullstart i say go for it but ive heard some bad things about them, my ez starter works just fine as long as the battery is charged
Old 01-30-2006, 07:50 AM
DaveG55

Try pull start if you want. There's no harm in it. It probably won't fix the slipping problem though. That sounds like a dirty owb. If it's all oily then it probably won't work well when it's cold and a ps uses the same owb so.............

I will say this, I've used nearly every kind of starting system over the years and there is no "perfect" system. Every one of them has their good points and bad ones too and they will ALL break when it's most inconvient.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
murray.386

i have a t-maxx that initially had the electric starter and i too had problems in the cold and thought about a pull strat. i was going to wait it out but my charger melted my batery so i had an excues to then go buy a pull start and haven't regreted a moment of it. it is a little more work on your arm but if your truck doesnt start right away you dont have to worry about burring up your battery and possibly waiting hours to recharge it. and they make plug warmers that run on NI-Cads and use very littler batter compaired to the starer. my brother and i can go out and use the same warmer on two nitros all day long. its still on you but a pull start is right around $20, not a huge kick in the wallet.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 AM
thirdgen_87

In Reply to DAVEG55, I don't think it could be oily because its only in the cold that it doesn't work. As soon as I warm it up with a dryer or just bring it inside for a while it works. Ill pull it apart and wipe odd the shaft but i dunno. Thanks for the input though.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:25 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: thirdgen_87

In Reply to DAVEG55, I don't think it could be oily because its only in the cold that it doesn't work. As soon as I warm it up with a dryer or just bring it inside for a while it works. Ill pull it apart and wipe odd the shaft but i dunno. Thanks for the input though.
Yeah, it could be oily. When oil gets cold it's viscosity goes up (it gets sticker). A owb is just a set of needle bearings that are designed to grab a shaft when their holder is turned one way and spin freely when their case is turned the other way. If they get oil on them and get cold the bearings won't ride freely in their carrier and so won't grab properly. The fact that the owb works when it's warmed up is a huge indication that the owb could be gunked up.
Oh yeah, wiping the shaft won't do anything to help if the owb is dirty. You'll need to clean the owb and the shaft. You can use whatever degreaser you use to clean your truck. Do not use any lubricant on the bearing or shaft when you put it back togeather. One thing you can do that will help some is to take some real fine emory paper (I use 2000 grit) and scuff the owb shaft lengthwise where the bearing rides. That will break any glaze that has formed and give the bearings in the owb something to grab.