Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Types of Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 AM
mrjerryk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Types of Fuel

I have been running 20% Blue Thunder ever sense I have started in the Nitro hobby. I have heard people who would rather run electric instead of using Blue Thunder fuel but never said why. I have about 7 gallons on my 2.5r and 5 on my 2.5 with this fuel. Can someone explain what they have against Blue Thunder fuel. At the hobby shop that I get my fuel from they stock Traxxas Top Fuel, Blue Thunder and White Lightning. I have a hand full of hobby shops in my area that probably sell different brands also.

What fuel do you recommend and why?

I am going to be getting a new REVO 3.3 soon and would like to try a different fuel with it from the start.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Rc EnthuSiasTs

Default RE: Types of Fuel

usually cheaper fuels aren't recomended is because they dont offer the same lubrication that is mandatory for these high revving engines. U need quality fuel. I use traxxas top fuel, it is not the best, but it keeps the temp range good, and my truck runs strong.
I have heard that better fuel makes a big difference, i heard o'donnel is good. Check the bottles, it tells u the % lubrication, % Nitro, etc.
Hope this helps!!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 AM
DaveG55

I've used Traxxas Top Fuel and Blue Thunder 20% and now use O'Donnell's 20%
Here's why
I started out using Traxxas for one reason - the metal can - I liked it for storage. In fact I keep a can around and store my fuel in it still.
Then, one day the LHS was out of Top Fuel when I went in so I tried a gallon of Blue Thunder and my trucks (and a friends too) ran like crap with it. We could not get the temps to stay down and they would not hold a tune for more than 5 minutes at a time. I returned that gallon of fuel to my LHS and they replaced it with a gallon of O'Donnell's (they're good guys at my LHS). Since that day I have not run anything else. The O'Donnell's runs cooler, holds a tune, the engunes seem to be a bit more responsive and I quit having slipping issues with my owb's.
So, even though the bad gallon of BT I got may have been a fluke I won't use it again. I had no issues with Top Fuel but my owb's did seem to slip a lot and they don't now soooooo, I'll be staying with and reccomending the O'Donnell's fuel now.
Those are my reasons, your results may vary.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:13 AM
everydayflyer

Blue Thunder is made by Morgan Fuel for Horizion using the formular specified by Horizion.

Some swear by and others at any brand fuel mentioned.

I Like Morgan Fuel(s) as I have used them for years along with Red Max fuels in planes,helis,boats and trucks.

I am running Morgan Fuels Backyard Basher at present ant it does realt well. I like the fact tah it has a higher lube content than most other car/truck fuels. No being a racer I do not need that last little bit of power that is obtained by reducing the lube to the least possible amount and will almost insure that the engine is damaged if it goes just a little lean.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:24 AM
rawkfist2

I recomend Byrons 2000. I run it and it is synthetic and castorl oil. Way better for the engine.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:57 PM
125cchyperman

The reason why I dont like blue thunder as a fuel because it always caused one way slippage in my owb. As soon as I switched the owb slippage went away and the tuning became a lot better. It held the tune very well and not only those but the engine seemed to spring to life after I switched. I mean the blu thunder was like running water as the fuel compared to the other fuel that I switched to.

Since then I have never ran another tank of blue thunder. I actually had a half gallon and didnt even think highly enough of it to even clean parts that's how bad I hated that stuff. I just went out at night and burn the fuel. It does have a nice blueish green color to it at night. But as far as that fuel goes lighting fires at night is about the only good thing it has going for it.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM
ssj2

I agree with rawk, I run Byron's right now and it's pretty good considering it was the only thing my LHS had that would work in my truck. I bought 2 gallons, and so far, I have no real complaints about it, pretty good fuel. I've heard that Odonell isn't that bad either, just what I've heard.