Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Will a Revo 3.3 run using Fuel with zero % Nitromethane???

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Will a Revo 3.3 run using Fuel with zero % Nitromethane???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
lancier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Revo 3.3 run using Fuel with zero % Nitromethane???

i finally imported a Revo 3.3 from the states. The problem is i have to blend my own fuel since i cant import nitro fuel(That really s...ks!). I cant seem to find nitromethane but i got methanol and castor oil. Can i run the truck on only a methanol/castor oil blend? Will i get as much power compared to using regular nitro fuel with either 10%-20% nitromethane content?....Please advise!!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 PM
125cchyperman

Default RE: Will a Revo 3.3 run using Fuel with zero % Nitromethane???

I's sure it will run but you will not have nearly the power as the fuels with nitromethane. Nitromethane is what gives these little engine there power, and when you take that away from it it will run but be very low on power.

So I'm sure you can but you wont have the power that you would if you did have nitromethane.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:29 PM
N1TRO_MT

Is there a speed shop close that could order Klotz oils? They have nitro in 1gal cans.

http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=58
Old 10-10-2006, 03:24 PM
rawkfist2

$45 gallon!!! Wow thats noo where near worth it. Towerhobbies.com its $4.99 to ship any thing on that site in the US. Maybe like $10 to where you are. But still its way cheaper.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

If you've got a link for "pure NITROMETHANE" on Tower Hobbies, please post it....I can't find it. As for 45.00 being too high for 100% nitro, the last 55gallon drum I bought was $1750.00, and that was about 5 years ago..... $45.00 for a single gallon is most reasonable.

But back to the question at hand, low to no content nitro fuels like higher compression ratios. Most engines like OS and Picco come with multiple head gaskets, shims, to reduce compression, for higher nitro operation. Pull the headon the 3.3 and see if it has multiple shims. If it does, I'd remove all but 1(one) for 0% nitro fuel, and watch your head temps very closely during the initial tune.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:17 PM
BAMF90

WOW! I wonder how an engine would react if you would run 100% nitro in it. LMAO!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM
beelzebubishere

Ever seen a Top Fuel Dragster.....Fuel Drag Bike.....they're great, 'till they explode.....yeah, EXPLODE.
ORIGINAL: BAMF90

WOW! I wonder how an engine would react if you would run 100% nitro in it. LMAO!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

BOOM!!!!!

After a tank. If you're lucky, it'll last even that long.

Do you live in the US? If so, just ask tower to ship the nitro VIA ground shipping, and you will get it.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:11 PM
BAMF90

My dad's friend tried putting nitro in a lawn mower. He got it to start, but it blew up. I don't think it literally blew up, but all I know is that, that lawn mower never mowed again.[sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 PM
rcdude37

if nothing else go find a hospital... and tell them your situation, nitro is what they call "laughing gas"... puts you to sleep and so on... they may be sceptical about giving out the info but just make sure they understand the reason you need it and im sure they will tell you who they get it from... never know, but it would be worth a try if nothing else works...

doesnt tower ship world wide... im sure it would take some time for it to get to you since it wont be sent via air...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:32 PM
beelzebubishere

Wrong answer....you kids should do a little research before typing....
Laughing gas is Nitrous Oxide, a GAS, as in vapor. Also known as Nitrous or NOX

Nitromethane is a LIQUID which has NO use in the medical feild. Also known as NITRO

BOTH have automotive high performance uses but are used in entirely different means.

Even though Tower ships "world wide," they CAN NOT ship certain items to certain countries that have LAWS prohibitting the import of certain items....

ORIGINAL: rcdude37

if nothing else go find a hospital... and tell them your situation, nitro is what they call "laughing gas"... puts you to sleep and so on... they may be sceptical about giving out the info but just make sure they understand the reason you need it and im sure they will tell you who they get it from... never know, but it would be worth a try if nothing else works...

doesnt tower ship world wide... im sure it would take some time for it to get to you since it wont be sent via air...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:38 PM
rawkfist2

WOHH never noticed that was nitromethane. Sorry thought it was just nitro.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
DaveG55

I don't think that Nitromethane (what we use) and Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) are the same thing.
CH3NO2 -nitromethane- is a liquid and NO2 -nitrous oxide - is a gas
I seriously doubt that a medical supply company is also going to distribute a racing fuel.
You'll be far more likely to find nitromethane at a shop that works on/builds high end racing engines or a race track or road course. I'm sure there's one on the African continent somewhere. South Africa should have one for sure.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
stoned_heckler

thats a big negative. Ive seen people "Blend" there own fuels and run it in random rc cars...try it but bring a fire extinguisher it tends to externally combust becasue of the exhaust shoots a flame into the tank through the presseure line!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:49 PM
89ram

lancier, maybe you could get one of those gasoline-powered buggys instead? that does suck you can't get the nitro you need.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
beelzebubishere

Really..... What's a big negative......your post makes about as much sense as RCD37's......
Been using these chemicals a lot have you?
Maybe you can explain the difference in a "home blend" 20 or 30% nitro fuel and a factory 20 or 30% nitro fuel, and what would mAKE THE "Home Brew" SO MUCH MORE VOLATILE AND PRONE TO DESTRUCTION.....

Or maybe your're just looking for a quick post count in subjects you haven't a clue about...

ORIGINAL: stoned_heckler

thats a big negative. Ive seen people "Blend" there own fuels and run it in random rc cars...try it but bring a fire extinguisher it tends to externally combust becasue of the exhaust shoots a flame into the tank through the presseure line!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: rcdude37

ROFLMAO.....Wow You must have been messing around with him right? Come on man........GET WITH THE PROGRAM.....LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Some of you guys really need to pay more attention to the original post before you reply. The man is in Nigeria.

He wants to know if he can run without nitro, not where you can get nitro at if your in the US.

Personally I don't know if you can run without nitro. It provides a lot of the oxygen needed for proper combustion with the port timing in these things. If I were in your shoes, and absolutely could not get nitro, I would either sell the MT before you run it, or try for a return, then pick up a gas/petrol based RC; or if that isn't an option I would would go for it. I am no expert but just guessing I would say you may need to lean the carb drastically to compensate for the lack of O2 that the nitromethane normally provides (less O2 provided in the fuel means you need to have less fuel per a given quantity of O@ brought in from the atmosphere). As already stated, you may want to try to run without or with less head shims, and you may need to try different temp glow plugs to get everythign just right. Again, I repeat, I am just guessing... Good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:04 PM
beelzebubishere

That's the biggest problem man....they don't read, they don't understand the question, and they ain't got a clue as to what they're talking about.......RF2, RCD37,S_H.....
I still have hopes for RF2, but that other pair..... thank goodness ScR didn't pop in......it would have been total chaos then.

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

Some of you guys really need to pay more attention to the original post before you reply. The man is in Nigeria.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 PM
125cchyperman

it but bring a fire extinguisher it tends to externally combust becasue of the exhaust shoots a flame into the tank through the presseure line!
That doesnt make any sence. But anyways the dragsters also are making 7000 hp and are using a huge blower. Thats why if you ever drop a intake valve on one of them they will shoot the blower off of the engine. Remember thats more hp per cylinder then a nascar engine makes with the whole engine. But anyways they also drop cylinders just doing there burn out and just driving down the 1/4 mile track. I seen a drag bike (in a video) where he was in the staging area. Right before the gren light they reved up the engine's and wammm. The piston blew out through the head and hit he guys forarm.

It wasnt pretty. But anyways that gallon is about right. Nitro isnt cheap by any means and you wont really find it much cheaper. Thats about right and you shouldnt complain about it. As doing it this way would actually be cheaper then buying the fuel by the gallon. I know for vp racing methanol we get 5 gallons and 1 quart of klotz oil for 23 dollars.

Think about that for 5 plus gallons of fuel thats only $70 or a little more. I pay more then that for 3 gallons of 20 percent. So you get an extra 2 gallons for basically free. Hey now that I think about it I might be making my own home brew here sooner then later. Do the math. WELL HERE I WILL DO IT FOR YOU.

$70 for 20% fuel of home brew. Or (23 is what I pay for fuel) $23 x 5 equaly out to $115. Thats $45 dollars saving here for just 5 gallons of fuel.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 AM
Kawasakirider

try it but bring a fire extinguisher it tends to externally combust becasue of the exhaust shoots a flame into the tank through the presseure line!
That's BS, a flame could not travel up a pressure line because of the fact of how small it is, lack of oxygen and allot of other things. You must have been really stoned when you thought you saw that and posted this, stoned_heckler. Stop boosting post counts. As to the original post, you WILL be able to find nitro fuel in your country, but it will certainly take some digging. If you can get it in india, afghanistan and places like that, I'm sure you can get nitro where you are. Come to think of it, on www.radiocontrolzone.com forums a memeber was african and got shot when he was mugged, he survived. I can't remember exactly where he was at but he gets nitro in africa somehow.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
lancier

Thanks everyone!I am still searching for nitromethane in my country. But if i cannot get it, my only option is to import from South Africa which will cost me over $600!!!(Which i cant afford at the moment).

How do i remove the shins from the 3.3 head?Dont u think keeping the head on will reduce the higher temps coming from the engine when running on zero% nitro? Please advise.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:09 AM
beelzebubishere

The shims are made of copper, and are between the head and cylinder. Remove the head, remove all but 1 shim, and reinstall the head. Castor oil works good with Metanol in a 15-18% mix. Use a hot glow plug, like an MC59 or LC3

Yes you will need to keep the head, if you want to run the engine.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
lancier

Thanks for the info. Is there any alternative to nitromethane that can give the engine more power? If i only run on a methanol/castor blend and i dont get the power i want(and risk the life of the engine)is it worth the effort?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 AM
beelzebubishere

If there is, I don't know of it. I really had no reason to research an alternative, as Nitromethane was easily attainable here.
Sorry....
As for life of the engine, properly adjusted to somewhere in the 225-270F temp range, engine life should actually exceed that of a nitro burning engine, as the combustion of methanol is smoother and a longer duration burn, than the comparable explosion of the nitro based fuel....

ORIGINAL: lancier

Thanks for the info. Is there any alternative to nitromethane that can give the engine more power? If i only run on a methanol/castor blend and i dont get the power i want(and risk the life of the engine)is it worth the effort?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.