Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

glowplugs burn out in one run?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:58 PM
dprocca99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glowplugs burn out in one run?

hey i have an os-18 and ive been having troubles with the glow plugs. i use them once and then turn the truck off and theyre burnt out.. i look at the coils and they are all bent and what not...any ideas as to whats going on?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
mrjerryk

Default RE: glowplugs burn out in one run?

What are your temps. It sounds like you are running to lean.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
dprocca99

im not sure the temps but theres plenty of smoke and it sounds good.....i did notice that after like 10 mins of running it starts bogging down and it takes a while to get back to full speed. sometimes on grass it has no power at all at WOT...the glowplug is not burnt or anything its just the coils are bent.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:11 PM
mrjerryk

The same thing would happen to me when I would run to lean for my TRX 2.5r. It would run fine for the first couple of minutes then start to lose power. Still had smoke but when I brought it in and shut it down my glowplug would crap out. Try to richen it a little and see of that help.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM
buggymangp

hey 99
i had the same problem with my x with the stock engine.
i would run the truck. run great. shut it down and go to restart
only to find the glow plug burnt out. it turned out i had an air leak
at the carb base. now i got over 4 gallons on the same plug.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Yakueb

Just a note, what fuel are you using?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
rawkfist2

In 4 months, i have used the same glow plug. McCoy-59
Old 10-12-2006, 03:46 PM
aznherb36

My guess is something shattered in the engine, rotating the material. does your piston have any dings?

I had the same problem, my rear crankcase bearing went on me. got it warrantied for a new engine though. os 18cvrx
Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
125cchyperman

Sometimes the manufactures let out a few lemons every once in a while. You may have just got a bad batch.

But anyways what does the plugs look like. Do they have a white ash on them if they do then your running way to lean. You could have a air leak or something. But every once in a while the company's do make lemons and the only real thing you can do is wait a little while till others buy up the bad batch and then go buy some more and hope this batch is a good batch.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
les_222

Try riching it a little or you could have a leak like the other guys said.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Too lean.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:46 PM
RvoMad

too lean......it overheats and that is why it starts to bog down after a while......get a good temp monitor....and don't let your temp to go above 270....in the mean time i would suggest richening it up at least 1/8 turn......counterclockwise ofcourse:-))
Old 10-12-2006, 09:54 PM
125cchyperman

getting your temps above 270 is ok. Some engine like to run hot. Dont pay attention to temps. Tune for performance, tune till you have a nice cripse throttle responce and you done hear the tell atle signs of being lean which would be the popping sound when you let of the throttle and sputtering at high speeds and no smoke from the exhaust.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
GaRCDude

I had a similar problem when I went to an aftermarket cooling head. The head was not exactly the same as stock so it made the compression to high (like taking out a shim). The plugs were shiny and wet but distorted and bent plus the temps never got over 240. I added an extra shim and the problem went away.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:04 PM
synthetic003

there could be the possibility of debri in you engine i was going threw glow plugs like crazy an couldnt figure out why come to find out i had broken a small piece of the piston skirt off and it got ground up in the engine an all the metal chunks were getting pushed into the glow plug and bending the coil an stuff try taking your head off an look around the glow plug hole and on top of the piston see if there is any gritty stuff in there if not then i would say either too lean or bad batch of plugs just my .02cents
Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Nitroxda

Check out what happened to me here :

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4809464/anchors_4809464/mpage_1/key_glow%252Cplug%252Cengine/anchor/tm.htm#4809464[/link]

Better safe than sorry, check your engine carefully for any leak before your next run, OS engines run so well even with minor leaks...!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
RvoMad

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

getting your temps above 270 is ok. Some engine like to run hot. Dont pay attention to temps. Tune for performance, tune till you have a nice cripse throttle responce and you done hear the tell atle signs of being lean which would be the popping sound when you let of the throttle and sputtering at high speeds and no smoke from the exhaust.

you probably got lots of money to replace the engine after 5 gallons or so......really bad advice not to check temps.....
Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Nitroxda

For those of you that might be interested with my case earlier, I emailed OS and here is their reply :

"Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your Email.

Glow plugs can fail. They are in a high-stress environment, especially if the engine's running at high throttle with high-nitro fuels. If the element broke out of the plug, it's possible the engine had a slightly-lean condition that caused damage to the plug.

You mentioned parts of the engine had become loosened. This could have caused the engine to go lean a bit. You also mentioned damaged to the bearing. The damaged bearing could have caused heating that expanded the case a bit and caused the loosened screws. Bearings usually become damaged because they're just not getting the lubrication they need. The fuel you use should contain no less than 18% oil content, per the O.S. instructions. Many so-called "R/C Car" fuels have very low oil content, and can contribute to shortened engine life."

The way I look at it, even OS do not have a solid answer for me to prevent this from ever happening again.[:@]
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Nitroxda

Regarding Temperature....

-Never tune to a specific temperature but go for performance, smoke trail etc. In other words, don't lean out or richen the needle to get the temperature reading you want.

-Do not let the temperature gets too high, different engine will vary but I kept my safe zone below 270' for any engine.

I have never seen any engine that runs fine at around 300'F, it is overheating and will bogs, idle up and create a lot of headaches plus shorter engine life.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:03 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: RvoMad
you probably got lots of money to replace the engine after 5 gallons or so......really bad advice not to check temps.....
What are you talking about. I have been in this hobby for several years now and have all of my engine and they still run. They all have over 5 gallons on all of them beside the .18cvr that is currently in my xxx-nt. Ask just about any person here who has been in this hobby for several years and they will tell you that they do not use a temp gun. As long as it's tuned fined then there is nothing to worry about, this is why you dont have to pay attention to temps. I still have the original engine that I started with thats just about 7 years old and it still runs. It has over 7 gallons on it and it is a trx pro .15 and gotta say for a trx engine has been reliable. Hard to start but still reliable.

I do not have a lot of money to spend on engine as I spend my money on other things like gas for my gas guzzling V8 Ford Explorer. Anyways you obviously have not had enough time in this hobby to know when the performance is a little to good or not good enough. But dont worry when you get more years under your belt you will be able to do this but do not say I have given bad advice just because you yourself are not good enough to be able to do this ok. So you see I have not given any bad advice in this thread, I just have several years under my belt and I am capable of doing so. I have never used a temp gun and never really plan to as I can tune for performance and by ear. Get more experience then you can say weather I gave bad advice or not.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
rawkfist2

I can agree that you need a temp guage untill you know how to tune perfectly. I for one use a temp guage becuase i dont know it perfectly and its alot of money for a 15 year old to buy engines.