Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Truck for a child

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 AM
mrjerryk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck for a child

This kinda goes against another post I have but this is my daughter and she know stay by me and watch for the trucks. Anyway what would be a good truck for her to learn on. She is 6 but she learns fast. She used to go to a vacant "before construction started" near where I work and race one of my trucks with me. She's not bad. I would tape something behind the throttle so she couldn't take it to WOT. She has been begging me to get her one for a long time. I was thinking of an E-MAXX. I want something that she can grow with. Her mom hates me for getting her into this because she don't think that she is old enough to be driving something around that has the potention of high speeds.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Truck for a child

I'd go for the e-maxx and series the motors. It will slow the truck down a lot and make it run longer.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
rawkfist2

Emaxx +1. But i wouldnt do any upgrades. That thing is sweet. It holds to getther well. If anything just take the remote and put a "stopper" on it. Like so the throttle can only go 1/2 throttle!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:59 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

For a 6 yr old, I'd stick with some of the smaller cheaper 1/18th scale buys, definitely electric.....might even consider some of the under 100.00 Wal-Mart RTR electric RC's.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 AM
125cchyperman

No a E-maxx would be fine. Just get a higher turn motor then usual. I have a xxx-t that I no longer drive or really care for. The one day I was driving my xxx-nt at my sisters house and my nephew wanted to drive it. Of course I said no because he's only 4 so the next time I went over I took my xxx-t along with. I slapped in my 27turn motor and he did just fine. Yeah he ran into some things like a tree for one. But the speeds where slow enough that it didnt hurt it at all. It just keept on going but since I had the reverse lock out on and didnt want to full around with the programing of the esc I did have to go and turn int in another direction a few times when he ran into the objects. But hey for only 4 he did better then some noobs I have seen.

Now this was a older truck with a older 27turn motor that probably should have some new brushes put on. But Since I no longer really care about it I just let him have a go at it when I come over. He loves it and I'm sure your daughter will love anything you get her. I mean hey she gets to have her very own rc car.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:05 AM
DaveG55

If you want (or it matters to her) hobby grade then:
Either an E-Maxx (no personal experence but hear that they are decent) if you want/need something that you can both take to the field. or an RC18MT. The RC18MT is a heck of a little truck and can be used in the drive, parking lots or inside. It's too small to really be a lot of fun on a construction site. Both are very upgradeable - the RC18 cn be made into a rocket (like about 60mph) for about $175 and a durable rocket for $300. In it's stock form it's plenty tough but add a powerful motor and it needs some tougher parts. And the E-Maxx has so many parts and hop-ups available it's not funny.
If you just want something for her tht's more 6yo plug and play w/o parental supervision then Nikko or a WallyWorld truck.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 AM
mrjerryk

Thanks for your feedback guys. I will go with the E-MAXX. Like I said she does good on my nitro trucks now. Wide open spaces but she is really big on my getting her one of her own. I told her that "Santa" is watching so we'll see
Old 10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
les_222

Well like the rest said.

A Traxxas E-maxx is a very dependable truck. Run time with a pair of 3000 MA batteries well last about 15 min.

The E-maxx has a high and low gear.

My 6yr old son has driven it very well. He started when he was 5yrs old.

I started him out with a Traxxas Stampede which is very durable. It is a monster truck. He likes something similiar to daddy's rc car the E-maxx.

I have put foam behind the throttle control on my sons car to limit the speed.

My son and i race every sunday at an offroad rc track.

Getting in a hobby that both of you can enjoy is perfect.

Now if you want something that last a little longer in run time. Get a mini-t for now. It is great in the house. It uses double a's and battery packs. This is a hobby grade car. That is what my son and i do when it is cold outside. We race the Mini's around the house.

Another easy car to drive is a stadium truck RC car. Lower to the ground handles better.

My son gets a kick out of racing and playing with these cars. These weekend he is getting a trophy for the R/C ponits race we just finished. He came in 4th racing with the other kids.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:10 AM
bennyblanco

i gave my lilltle brother a mini-t thats more then enough remember its for her not you lol!!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

E-zilla
Old 10-13-2006, 05:06 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughter is only 5 and I bought her an RC18MT. She has fun with it, but I am wanting to get her a larger electric. I think the Emaxx would be a good choice. My son is 8 nad has been doing Nitro with me for over a year now, but my daughter is just too young right now for Nitro.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:09 PM
hands without shadows

If you want 1/10th Id say a stampede over an emaxx, slower stock (the old ones anyway), more durable to crashing/dropping w/e, more durable transmission with less maintanance, and cheaper.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:41 PM
MBX5T Maniac

E-maxx is quite prone to breaking. The e-zilla is better, and the only weak spot are the hubs. And if you want to have a bit of fun when she isn't playing with it, this will satisfy you quite well, for it is very fast.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:32 PM
2.5 flex

i may be throwing some thin in the air, but why dont u buld a kit with her, i think she may enjoy that thats how i got started helpin buld a rc car, and i thoguh it was cool and, how i helped buld that first car ?? just a thought and " winter is comming soon, daddy daughter time lol ??? "
Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 PM
mrjerryk

ORIGINAL: 2.5 flex

i may be throwing some thin in the air, but why dont u buld a kit with her, i think she may enjoy that thats how i got started helpin buld a rc car, and i thoguh it was cool and, how i helped buld that first car ?? just a thought and " winter is comming soon, daddy daughter time lol ??? "
What kit do you recommend?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
bennyblanco

if is a kit a t4 will be nice!!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 PM
MBX5T Maniac

LOL, you'll get back a box of parts. It's not exactly meant for a child. First of all, even a semi-experienced driver will break it, and a child will utterly destroy it.

If you want to get her a kit, get her a T3 off of ebay, because they are the older T4, but much MUCH stronger than the T4(I have one if you want to know where I get the opinion T4, had t3). If she was into racing competitively, and very good at racing, be my guest, but for bashing, a T3 will be just fine, and will hold up very well. It's tougher than the E-maxx( RLY? lol), and you can throw in a slower motor until she gets the hang of it, and then upgrade to a 27turn stock motor, and so on. Once she can handle 40mph( will take a while), you can get her into the nitros, and the e-zilla, yes it is fast.

So get a t3 roller off ebay, and an esc with like the Duratrax one with the 6-turn motor limit(get one with reverse though. Kids like reverse), and start with a 45turn lathe motor. it will be slow, but will suffice until she can handle a 27 turn(much faster). So get both at the same time. A 45turn lathe motor, and a P2k2 motor. And then the t3 off ebay(unless you find one rtr with several motors(not that hard), and get that.)

That is my recommendation. if something goes wrong, it's better to have a panicking child driving a 4 pound 30mph ST rather than a 9-10 pound 40mph monster truck(which will hurt more?? hmmm....)
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 PM
2.5 flex

humm? all depends were in the process of a e-maxx, i know its not a kit but we got the frame, and stuff were puttin a rustler tranny, and a 2.5 r on it and ***** the 4 wheel drive link out of my old t-maxx's. i know its not for a kid, but it was fun to build. lots of drillen lol. but u could do something like that and put a smaller engine in it, " not nitro of course' but it can be a coustom truck, but just to fit your kid?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 PM
oregonrevoman

I have a 6 year old son and last year he started on a stampede. They are very durable and know it has a hopped up motor in it and he still handles it well. They are cheap and long lasting. That gets my vote. Hey at least when her friends try to drive it, if it gets broke, you won't be upset with the cheap repair cost if any Good luck and post what you get her Joe
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
blackdogafd

I personally had a traxxas e-maxx and it a very nice truck, i let my 4 year old drive by himself and he did just fine. i made sure that i "taped" the shift lever so he couldnt shift into 2'ed. and he had a blast with it, so i would definetly choose the emaxx its durable and tough and all round nice truck.

andy
Old 10-15-2006, 06:31 PM
WartedEmperor

She way not have the waits to do a kit.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Kawasakirider

ORIGINAL: WartedEmperor

English would help, Saddam. I reckon an E-pede would be good for her, not to fast, seem durable.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:49 AM
mrjerryk

ORIGINAL: Kawasakirider

ORIGINAL: WartedEmperor

English would help, Saddam. I reckon an E-pede would be good for her, not to fast, seem durable.
I'm gonna go with the E-Maxx. Like I said before she does good with my nitros and she will only use it in an open area. This way she can grow with it. Thanks for all the advise eveyone.