Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

spur gear meshg on 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Slimz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spur gear meshg on 3.3

I have a Revo 3.3 and few days ago I flipped it over, and it seems to be shearing the top of th teeth off the spur gear, which leads me to belive, when I flipped it over I screwed up the meshing.

I replaced the spur gear, and you can move the gears with your fingers, and the both gears move. Wehn you apply throttle, i think the drive gear (whatever it's called) slips the spur gear and starts eating the tops of the teeth off. It's the only reason I can figure why my truck won't move... haha.

Anyway, how do you adjust the meshing, and when do you know it's correct?

-- Joe
Old 10-14-2006, 09:28 AM
soul_hammer

Default RE: spur gear meshg on 3.3

loosen the motor mount screws and put a piece of celophane between the gears. then push the motor against the spur and tighten the motor mount screws remove celophane and whala youre done.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:11 AM
wilky

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/revo25/resources/Revo_Spur_Replace.pdf]This should help[/link]
Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Slimz

Also, should that screw that holds the entire gear/slipper clutch assembly together be tight? or slightly loose?

-- Joe
Old 10-14-2006, 11:08 AM
rawkfist2

loosen the motor mount screws and put a piece of celophane between the gears. then push the motor against the spur and tighten the motor mount screws remove celophane and whala youre done.
In 4 months i has just put the engine on and held it in place. Never stripped a spur. 2 days ago i did that paper trick and stripped it. I dont recomend it.

And the slpper dont tighten it 100% maybe 93%
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 PM
legbuh

I've had my my motor out tons of times now, always use the paper trick, and when done right, its perfect. The only time I shear a spur is when I bust a motor mount.

I take a thin strip of regular copier/printer paper, and fold it in half (double thickness), then push the two as tight as I can, and make sure the mount is straight (judging by the space on the gaps from the bottom of the mount and screws).
Old 10-15-2006, 12:13 PM
89ram

i set gear mesh by feel. i've always found that the mesh changes when you tighten the bolts. it may take a couple times to get it just right, but it's worth it. i set the gears so that i can hold the clutch still and move the spur and JUST BARELY feel any play between the two gears. i've had good luck with spur life this way.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
RvoMad

hmmm.....you may want to check the chassis.....if they are bent...you will never get the mesh right.