Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

putting grease in the center diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:58 AM
ttoks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting grease in the center diff

i have 500k oil in my center diff, and it just isn't thick enough for me, on take off and when my revo switches into second the front wheels just spin and balloon up, will grease do any damage to the seal, gears, or the diff housing?

i am just bashing so i'm not all to interested i handling, if need be i can put 500k diff lube back in if i start racing down the track.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: putting grease in the center diff

Epoxy resin without the hardener......maybe silly putty.......sawdust and banana peelings.....
Old 05-06-2007, 05:27 PM
ttoks

beelzebubishere, there is no need to be an idiot, you might have a personal grudge against me, but i dont need idiotic remarks for asking a simple question.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
mistercrash

I tried the center diff and took it out. It just isn't for me. I didn't feel it improved the handling. If you bash, just use the FOC. If you really want to use the CD than I don't think grease would damage anything. Just don't put too much to blow the seals. Personnaly, I don't get the center diff thing with the rear brake that is a pain to adjust properly. And all I see on the net is people trying to get the thickest stuff they can find to put in that CD to almost lock it up. This is just my preference here but I prefer to use only the FOC.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 AM
ttoks

i agree with you there, i'd rather not have the CD at all, but i cannot for the life of me see how i am going to lock it in forward without an output shaft with the gear locked to it, and i don't feel like doing a patch up job just to have it break and damage anything, and at the moment i cant adored to buy the standalone forward only, i proberly will later on though, thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 AM
beelzebubishere

JB Weld.....
ORIGINAL: ttoks

i agree with you there, i'd rather not have the CD at all, but i cannot for the life of me see how i am going to lock it in forward without an output shaft with the gear locked to it...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
J_Bone

What happened to the stock tranny? Can you put it back in? It seems you would prefer that even with what seems to be is loose dirt your driving on.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM
ttoks

i still have everything, but the dog bone or syncromesh that select either forward and revers need to be glued to keep it in gear without haveing to put reverse back in, which i really don't wanna do, but if grease doesn't work for what i wanna do i'll aradite the sucker on.

and yeah it's loose dirt, i would like to keep the rear brake though so i'm hopeing the grease will be thick enough for me lol

and it's a good idea beel, but if i start racing i'd like to be able to put the CD back in for the handling and controllability.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 AM
J_Bone

Just buy the part to replace it?
Grease will only make the effect worse for you. The grease will allow the diff to diff-out even more than any of the Silicon oils. The viscosity of Grease is more than likely less than 1K. You've been running 500K and having it diff-out. The only way you will get it to not diff-out is to remove the diff all together and put it back to stock. Don't ruin the diff by trying to put putty or any thing else in it.

I have two whole tranny's. One has the diff with rear brake and the other is stock. Even bashing, I prefer the diff, even bashing. It give a lot of more control that you may not realize.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM
ttoks

i dont mean thin grease, i mean bearing grease, the almost solid but not quite stuff, i'll give it a try, and if a dont like it it isent a big job to aradite the gear selector ring onto the outputshaft untill i can get back to the LHS, thanks for the help, i wasent planning on puting anything but lubricant in the diff btw, that is just being an idiot putting anything but lubricant in there.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:54 AM
J_Bone

You can try it. But It will be no where near 100K, let alone the 500K you already have in it. Grease just isn't made for that so I wouldn't waste your time.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 AM
ttoks

lii will give it a go, i'm a patient person and it isent it isent going to do any harm trying it, just a little experimenting, so what have a got to loose other then a few mins changing the oil around?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM
J_Bone

Sure, then go for it. Make sure you completely remove all the grease before adding Silicon oil back into the diff.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM
ttoks

de-greaser at the ready
Old 05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
slayerphonics

I think u will find grease acts way diffrent then the diff lube
bearing grease can be thick but not like the silicone..

Good luck to you but I dnon' think it will work

have you tried changing your suspension setup... that helped me top my tires from flaring so much..
also use diff lube in your front diff so the inside doesn't flare so bad.

good luck

de-greaser at the ready
Old 05-09-2007, 01:38 AM
ttoks

i tried it, to start with it was good, untill it started heating up, was almost like water when i drained it, you were right lol, i'll just go with 500k untill i can find womone that sells million wt.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
TtotheRAXXAS

beelzebubishere, there is no need to be an idiot, you might have a personal grudge against me, but i dont need idiotic remarks for asking a simple question.
Beelzebubishere got owned!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
ttoks

he's explained to me that he has tried all often things in the cd, although i wouldn't use them myself he was just trying to be helpful (i didn't know at the time he was trying to help, i thought he was being a smart Alic), sorry for that.