Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Stuck in neutral???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
searlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in neutral???

Ok, so I have searched and found some good info and tried some possible remedies but with no luck. My t maxx 2.5 is stuck in what seems to be neutral. i was driving it along and then it just jumped out of gear, it has done this before but has gone right back with no problem. Not this time! With the throttle opened, the spur gear spins freely but truck does not move. I have tightened the slipper nut and backed it off1/4 a turn....nothing. I then adjusted, moved closer together, the two collars on the transmission/servo rod to see if that would help shift it back into gear...nothing! Everything seems fine, no noise, etc.. from the transmission housing. The darn thng just wont move! Ok guys, what do I do? Whats the next step? Thanks guys. I may have learned my lesson......never buy a used t-maxx even if you cant afford a new one?
Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
6speednissan

Default RE: Stuck in neutral???

Have you taken your clutch bell off and checked your clutch? Sounds like it may be broken or used up. Its also possible that maybe the clutch spring popped off. Im almost positive that its your clutch.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah its not his clutch since he says his spur is spinning. You probably stripped a gear in the tranny or something fell out of place[:@]
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
searlo

I know nothing about rc cars but am trying to learn, my passion lies with in my real trucks which are in no way similar to this. However, dont beleive that my clutch is smoked. It is turning my spur gear fine which seems to be turning the gear inside which is visible throught the second speed adjustment access plug. There is also a pin that sticks out throught the front towards the right side of the tranny housing,that is also spnning with the gears. It seems to me that it has something to do with the foward/reverse mechanism. I know that my descriptions of this are terrible and I apologize, this whole rc thing is only a couple weeks new to me but I really do appreciate the help. i have had terrible luck with the hobby thus far but not giving up yet. Someone told me would spend 80% of my time working on it, 20% driving, no lie there!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: searlo

I know nothing about rc cars but am trying to learn, my passion lies with in my real trucks which are in no way similar to this. However, dont beleive that my clutch is smoked. It is turning my spur gear fine which seems to be turning the gear inside which is visible throught the second speed adjustment access plug. There is also a pin that sticks out throught the front towards the right side of the tranny housing,that is also spnning with the gears. It seems to me that it has something to do with the foward/reverse mechanism. I know that my descriptions of this are terrible and I apologize, this whole rc thing is only a couple weeks new to me but I really do appreciate the help. i have had terrible luck with the hobby thus far but not giving up yet. Someone told me would spend 80% of my time working on it, 20% driving, no lie there!

you could get a foc kit if the foward/reverse is buggered i like reverse but the foc increases the acceleration because of less rotating mass i have the foc kit installed by the way
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
searlo

I might have to go with the Foc here soon. Let me ask you this, How hard is to get inside the tranny for a peak? Do I need to disconnect everything around it and pull the whole thing out or is there an easer way? Looking at it, it is a bit intimidating. i have been doing a lot of searching here and some have talked about similar experiences with a pin breaking or falling out in the primary forward or reverse gear, this might be my problem, i dont know but I need to start somewhere again. Thanks guys. I did look at the exploded view of my tranny but it is a little overwhelming right now.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

It might b worth a shot to switch it into reverse and see whether reverse wil work, because then you could narrow it down
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
wrxeac

Just GO FOR IT!! Start taking the maxx apart. It sounds like you know how to get to the exploded view drawings and they will help you get it back together. It is super easy to take the tanny out and take it apart. I can have mine apart in about 5 minutes. Pay attention to how you took it apart and take some pictures if you have to. This is what this hobby is all about. You won't have to take the enginge out just disconnect the thottle and reverse linkage take out the 8 screws holding the tanny on, and wiggle it out, after that there is some screw that hold the tanny cases together remove those and pull apart!! Good Luck
Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 PM
jarett 92

if everything in the tranny is working it has to be something with the driveline doesnt it?
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM
RobbyNobby

ORIGINAL: searlo

HAHAHAHA So true, but thats why its called a hobby! I like taking mine down and rebuilding it though. The better driver you become the less you will break. I guess hehehe
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
searlo

Thanks for all the info guys, I figured it out. I took the tranny apart, no big deal at all. Found that the pin that goes into what I think is the forward gear towards the front of the transmission housing, anyway, the pin has an allen head on it with small amount of thread, broken of. I am guessing and hopeing that is all there is to my problem, we'll see tonight when I get my new parts. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good good, so I was right after all Good luck with your truck, and if you had bought a Savage, Revo, or LST2 you'd be driving 90% of the time and fixing it the rest
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Good good, so I was right after all Good luck with your truck, and if you had bought a Savage, Revo, or LST2 you'd be driving 90% of the time and fixing it the rest

lol if its a revo you would be waiting for new engine mounts (stock 3.3 engine) and doing backflips (go big or go home lol)

a savage and the diffs would brake all the time

and i have heard nothing at all bad about the lst2 except you best get rpm arms if your going to jump it off a house (which i will be doing when i get mine lol)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 PM
cooptroop123
My Feedback: (2)

ok hold the spur gear in your hand and hit the throttle a little and check if theres any power behind it and if there is then its your tranny but if you can easily hold it in your hand and keep it from spinning then its you clutch or slipper
Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 PM
softwarespeaks

I also had no forward or reverse and a a perfectly good clutch/bell and tight slipper. Took tranny apart and found a 1/4" long 1/6" dia pin inside the housing. I believe it is also from the outside gear. Does anyone know if this can be repaired or do I need a new tranny. All gear teeth seem to be in good shape. Presuming I can repair this, and now that I have it apart, does one lube the gears with something?

Thanks,
Speaks
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
softwarespeaks

Where did you get your new pin and did this fix your problem? I've got the same issue I think. All you gear heads out there....is this a common problem?

BR,
Speaks