Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Which Robinson Racing Spur Gear & Clutch Bell Combination for a racing Revo???

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Which Robinson Racing Spur Gear & Clutch Bell Combination for a racing Revo???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
xtreme_ntc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Robinson Racing Spur Gear & Clutch Bell Combination for a racing Revo???

Hi!!! I'm building a race Revo (with extended chassis) and dropped in a Brand New V-Spec .21 Turbo Engine using Qoncepts's Big Block engine mount.. I put Robinson Racing parts like Diferential Gears (both front & rear), 1st Gear, 40t Second Gear, Close Ratio Gears and stuff like aluminum rockers, anodized shocks, titanium shock rods, Mugen's 175oz. Fuel tank, Traxxas Extended rear arms, Tekno wing mount, Tekno front arms, Traxxas Center Differential with 500k oil, Traxxas Rear Brake System, Stainless Steel Screws, Integy's Aluminum Axle Carriers, Pro-line's 23mm Hex Adapters, Integy's Aluminum rear skid plate, Hitec's 5955TG high torque servo, Hitec's 5625MG high speed servo, Spektrum's radio system and much more.. I want to build it as tough as possible because I want be able to race knowing I have the best and strongest possible parts available.. I just want to be sure that it won't break easily and that it will last every MAIN in our tracks which last around 1 hour.. The track we have here, are VERY tough with unbelievable jumps and drops.. They are tracks for tanks.. Anyway, the only things I need to find are these 2 things:

1) I do not know which aluminum shock ends and rod ends are the best for this purpose.. Please tell me which ones are the best..

2) I need to know which Spur/Clutch bell combination is the best for racing my V-Spec with my Revo.. I have been looking at both Robinson Racing's options which are:

-Extra-hard Steel Combo. 38T Spur and 15T Clutchbell.
-Extra-hard Steel Combo. 40T Spur and 16T Clutchbell.

These are the only 2 questions I have.. Please, guys, let me know your advice and opinion about this.. I will appreciate your help VERY MUCH.. Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Uglysteve

Default RE: Which Robinson Racing Spur Gear & Clutch Bell Combination for a racing Revo???

Sounds like quite a mean Revo. With all that heavy steel gearing, you are going to need evey bit of that .21's power to be competitive.

As for the bell/spur combo, it depends on the layout of the track you are running. a 15/40 gearset will work better for a tight technical track, whereas a 17/38 will work better for a big fast track. The difference between the two kits you mentioned are minimal at best. What i do is keep an assortment of bells and clutches. I have everything between 15t and 18t clutch bells and 36 through 40 on the spur gears. I change them out according to the track i am driving and the kind of driving i want to do.

Again, when you get that revo put together, it will surely be a beast. You are going to lose a lot of steering with those integy axle carriers. My advice to you is to do what i did and dremel out the pillow ball ends for increased steering.

As for the shock rod ends, i have not found any that work well for me, so i stick with plastic. I have not had any problems with them stretching or tearing off except for the little while when i used Intejunk piggyback shocks.

Hope this helps. Have fun racing.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
xtreme_ntc3

Default RE: Which Robinson Racing Spur Gear & Clutch Bell Combination for a racing Revo???

Hey thanks for the info my friend.. I hope to get better results from my Revo.. And about the axle carriers, you are right.. I noticed they take away A LOT of steering and the owner of mi LHS is going to give them a little love with that miracle machine: "the dremel" hahaha.. Again, thank you VERY MUCH for your opinions..
Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
xtreme_ntc3

Nobody else knows about this?? Can anybody else help me???/
Old 07-28-2007, 03:15 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

thought most races have a cap on fuel tank capacity.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:09 PM
oompwa

I have some advice. None of the Robinson clutch bell/ spur gear combos will work with the V-SPEC. That engine has too much torque, and will spool up too quick, breaking the tires loose instantly. I would suggest buying a 17 tooth clutch bell(Robinson if you prefer), and 38 and 36 tooth spur gears. Start with 17/38, but I guarantee that your engine will pull 17/36 no problem.

So far as the shock ends. Can't help you there as I have never tried them.

In regards to using the close ratio second gear, you will experience a lot of torque steer when your REVO shifts into second. This seems to be a common problem when running big blocks with the close ratio. Your best bet is using the wide ratio, or you may be able to get away with the standard ratio. With the torque of the V-SPEC, the center diff is going to unload to the front wheels a lot, causing you to shortshift. You are going to hit second gear within about 10 feet or so. Having a lot of torque, you can take advantage of this, cause your truck is going to pull hard in second gear. Because of the shortshifting, you will be able to hit most jumps in second gear.

One final suggestion would be aluminum clutch shoes. I run M2C shoes with my Picco MAX, and it was the best upgrade I have made to my REVO.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:01 PM
xtreme_ntc3

Thank you VERY much for the information.. I have a few things to ask you..

1) Traxxas claims that the close gears are for seamless shifting, so it sounded to me that I will not have a lot of torque steer when it shifts to second gear.. Isn't this right??

2) If you can, tell me where I can find a 36T spur gear because it seems that Robinson Racing does not make them and my clutch bell is made by them and they do not advice to use another brand because of the material hardness.. They say that my clutch bell will eat any other spur.. Have you tried or had any experience with this??

3) Where can I see the clutch system you said?? Do you have a link so I can take a good look at it??

Thank you for taking your time to help me with this.. I'll be happy to help you in the future!!! Thanks again
Old 07-29-2007, 12:28 AM
oompwa

The close ratio gears would provide seamless shifting if you were using a small block, which had less low end torque than the V-SPEC.

Use a plastic traxxas spur gear. I have used Robinson Racing CB/SPUR combos. I have two sets in my tool box. You cannot use the clutch bell from one of theyre combos with any other spur gear, because the combos are matched sets and have a different pitch than any other spur gear.

Go to m2cracing.com to see the clutch setup. The forum wont let me post the link for some reason.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:48 AM
xtreme_ntc3

Thanks a lot for your reply.. Now I'm going to take a look at the clutch system.. Now, it is a matter of getting the right one (light, medium or hard)...
Old 07-29-2007, 02:57 PM
oompwa

I run a Picco MAX, and use the medium shoes and .95 springs. It is a very predictable and smooth engagement.