Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 3.3 vs. T-Maxx 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 AM
VXL BURRITO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 vs. T-Maxx 3.3

I am looking at getting one of these. I'm right now looking at videos and seeing which one people say is better. What I will mostly be doing is bashing offroad, and doing some pretty good jumps. Which would you guys choose and why? I'm trying to decide, and the T-Maxx looks like it has more suspension than the Revo, but what about speed? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Mspeed

Default RE: Revo 3.3 vs. T-Maxx 3.3

My vote would be Revo. If you search the threads on the T-maxx you will hear about alot of broken bulkheads and a handful of ripped off front ends due to the design of the chassis and set up. Since the E-maxx shares the same basic design, it too has a track record for breaking in the same places even with the new updated E-maxx. The Revo has its weak points as do all trucks, but so far I have been impressed how tough my Revo has been. The Revo is noted for its versitlity, it can be set up so it has a ton of suspension travel with the long travel rockers, or you can set it for racing or just anything between. The way the suspension is set up in the Revo as well as all its internal parts, like gas tank, servos, motor, linkages, etc. creates a lower center of gravity letting it handle that much better. The T-maxx is a older design that just has the more triditional monster truck looks. Having 8 shocks sitting out on the arms may look like a beast to some, but it can be a very expensive repair and very high matainance for others. The Revo's suspension can be adjusted to sit up just as high as the T-maxx. I really dont see a point in getting a T-maxx unless money is a issue for your intial purchase or you just like the looks or you want a shorter truck that can wheelie easier.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
VXL BURRITO

wow ok. Thanks for letting me know all that. I don't know much about nitro since I started off with Electric(Stampede VXL). I wanna get a nitro and the only thing that's stopping me from getting a Savage is that it doesn't have reverse. My brother has the 4.1 he got over a year ago and not having reverse is annoying.

If you own a Revo 3.3 let me know what you think pros & cons...
If you own a T-Maxx 3.3 let me know what you think of that too. pros & cons would be a plus...

I'm just not sure what I want to get yet for a nitro. So far I'm looking more into the Revo 3.3.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM
rms2005

I cant say much about the t-maxx but I do have a revo and it takes a beatin. I have been putting it through you know what for about 8 months now and have stripped 1 spur gear and busted 1 shock end and am very surprised thats all.(knock on wood) it is so simple to tune it for the track and then back to a basher. The suspension amazes me and everyone else that sees one for the first time.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
VXL BURRITO

I didn't know you could raise it too(revo). It sat higher than the Savage in a forum I just looked at. How much was your start up cost? Revo is $505.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
sloppyG

the only thing the tmaxx is better than the revo on is price

it's an older design by quite a few years, it was great in it's day (it was really the first of what we currently have as monster trucks)

if you think the original is still the best..........

they have improved things quite a bit on the revo, durability, handling are the main advantages
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: VXL BURRITO

wow ok. Thanks for letting me know all that. I don't know much about nitro since I started off with Electric(Stampede VXL). I wanna get a nitro and the only thing that's stopping me from getting a Savage is that it doesn't have reverse. My brother has the 4.1 he got over a year ago and not having reverse is annoying.

If you own a Revo 3.3 let me know what you think pros & cons...
If you own a T-Maxx 3.3 let me know what you think of that too. pros & cons would be a plus...

I'm just not sure what I want to get yet for a nitro. So far I'm looking more into the Revo 3.3.
Imo; I think u are definately headed in the right direction with ur thinking and possible decision. I too can definately attest to the toughness and durability of the revo. I have cartwheeled mine too many times to mention, landed hard off of jumps, and i mean HARD!! to the point i t thought something broke, but nothing did, and have done other things to the point i didnt think the original parts would survive; but they stayed in tact. So If u ask urself might one reccomend the Revo over the tmaxx, and i would definately say yes without a doubt!! [8D]
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
VXL BURRITO

How much for start up costs? I'm guessing like $50 + the car. Let's just say $600 tops for everything to start running??
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
bowyorang

I needed EVERYTHING for my Revo 3.3 that I purchased last week. I think that I have about $650 in it so far including fuel, batteries (AA and nimh), cute little carrying thing for my fuel that hold a couple wrenches fuel bottle ect, and a temp gun.
So far this thing has been awesome. Only a couple little setbacks on it so far. The first day I striped out the inner part of the wheel rim. It holds a little plastic hex piece in it. The hex piece striped out to round and when I went and bought a new one I realized that where it fits into was also stripped around it. I ended up having to super glue it in and so far it has held. I did win an ebay auction last night for set of aluminum hex pieces that I will exchange out for the plastic ones in the other wheels.
Also, tonight I was doing a few jumps and I broke one of the rear shock shafts. So I will be back up at the LHS tomorrow....
I know that kinda sounds bad for just a week, but I am happy with it. It handles awesome, lots of torque, and lots of fun. I figured I'd be replacing some part here and there anyway. If nothing EVER broke I wouldn't get to really know my truck inside and out.
If you do decide to get a revo though. You might want to purchase tomorrow. There is a rebate off that they have going on right now. You can get a Resonator Pipe FREE. I sent in for mine yesterday. But the form that you have to send in has to be post marked by the 30th.

Good luck!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Mspeed

If you locktite all your wheel nuts on they will not come loose and strip out the hexes. I never needed to run alum. ones just locktite them all before you have it happen. This is one of the suggested things I would highly recommend to all new revo owners before you even break it in, not to mention a few others that will prevent some issues later on.

When I got my revo, it came with pretty much everything to get you started except fuel, the 7.2 volt battery for your ez starter and remote control batterys. You get a charger for both the onboard battery and the ezstarter and the allen wrenches to work on it and of course the ezstarter that doubles as a plug ignitor. Of course, there are a few extra things you should get so you dont have to make extra trips to the hobby store, like extra plugs and a extra filter.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
VXL BURRITO

ok, so I'm guessing a little less than $600 for everything. And it's a pretty tough truck when it comes to bashing. I'm probably gonna buy it in a couple months. I know it seems a little early for me to be asking about it, but I'm just waiting for my credit limit to go up lol. I want a nitro pretty bad but I'm not gonna settle for just anything. I want a good 4v4 nitro basher. I'm gonna be looking at the Revo more and more as time goes on.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 PM
plasma 327

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 Revos and 3 T-maxxs and would not trade them for anything.
The revo is more apt for racing but you can make a reacer out of the maxx also.
They are as durable as any other MT imo, parts are readily available, support is good
and ther are just pure fun to drive. I think either would make you happy.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Nighthawk z450

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7299003/tm.htm
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 PM
VXL BURRITO

The Revo I would get is the 3.3. I won't be racing at a track or anything, just bashing in the desert and riding on the street sometimes.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Macanan

Okay I was in the same spot as you into which one to get I had a choice and I chose the T-Maxx 3.3 because with the upgrades, Aluminum bulkheads, aluminum shocks, and full aluminum skid plates, 4 RPM A arms which are guarantee for life that if they ever break you send them in for a free replacement, now here is what I done to my T-Maxx 3.3 full aluminum skid plates and front RPM arms and shocks, But with the upgrades I said will make A T-Maxx 3.3 about indestructible, which if you read everyone always says that the T-Maxx sucks because they had one a few years back, what I say to them is WAKE UP people they have changed many things on the T-maxx 3.3 thicker chassis which is now 4mm thick not 2.5 like the older vrs, they have added everything the revo has to the new T-Maxx 3.3, the only difference is that the revo's shocks are setup different and they only have 4 shocks instead of 8 and there chassis is setup way different and also thinner then the T-Maxx 3.3 before you buy what ever it is your going to REALLY compare them both, look at the underside of a revo, where the muffler is set on the revo look at the whole picture which NO ONE here will post a picture of a revo all the way around underside and all, WHY ? because if you look at it, it's screaming for breakage, but here is a few pics of my T-Maxx 3.3, as I said The T-Maxx 3.3 is the best truck you can get with the upgrades I stated above
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80332.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	916155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36203.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	916156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48072.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	916157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78334.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	916158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60074.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	916159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp93867.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	916160  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 PM
SAVAGEJIM

My vote goes for Revo, all the others have already said why and I agree with them 100%.

As for the suspension, I prefer the Revo suspension over the Maxx suspension anyday. To me, the Revo can be made into a tougher tuck than Maxx with some simple upgrades, in particular, the RPM arms for Revo.

I personally belive the Revo can take more punishment than the Maxx particularly of its shaped single piece chassis plate. Aside from being very light and exhibiting better handling by minimizing the moment of inertia it is very tough and helps the main body of the truck survive head-on hits better than what the Maxx can take.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 PM
VXL BURRITO

I don't wanna spend extra money on upgrades right off the back so it won't break. I want a tough truck off the line. Money is kind of an issue here and I don't wanna spend more than I have to. I don't like installing parts either. EWWW! it's not fun. Your T-Maxx looks pretty awesome though. And ya, I would be getting a 3.3 not a 2.5 revo or T-maxx. My dad may get mad at me though. He wants to get a baja, so if he gets that then I will get the revo 3.3 so he can't say I've spent a lot on R/C's .

Have people complained about it breaking where you said it would?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 PM
[email protected]

revo cuz the platform is better why would they make a new truck if the old one was not becoming inferior to what people want now adays.??
my point exactly they wouldn't so revo definately the way to go i love driving my buds but i do have problems w/ flip on maxx so i sold my s-maxx an got a ruslter bout to get revo soon though.

tired of drivng my neighbors trucks i wanna have my own REVO LOL
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
MaxxOrange

it shouldnt even be an arguement, get the revo, dont get a tmaxx and waste your money on useless upgrades because the truck will only break again. get the revo and you get a super tough truck right out of the box, the revo is a top of the line monster truck that you will have endless fun with and will only break if you REALLY put it through HELL. Mspeed is absolutley right about the bulkheads and front ends breaking due to poor chassis design, i have heard all these things. you could have 5 tmaxxes and 1 revo and the 1 revo will still last longer than the 5 tmaxxes, i hope this helps buddy make the right choice, for the price the revo could be less but then again you get what you pay for right?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 AM
beer=food
Banned

revo.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 AM
VXL BURRITO

ORIGINAL: beer=food

revo.
Good answer lol.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 AM
CHEVPARTPRO

Revo!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52627.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	916368  
Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Nighthawk z450

ORIGINAL: Macanan

Okay I was in the same spot as you into which one to get I had a choice and I chose the T-Maxx 3.3 because with the upgrades, Aluminum bulkheads, aluminum shocks, and full aluminum skid plates, 4 RPM A arms which are guarantee for life that if they ever break you send them in for a free replacement, now here is what I done to my T-Maxx 3.3 full aluminum skid plates and front RPM arms and shocks, But with the upgrades I said will make A T-Maxx 3.3 about indestructible, which if you read everyone always says that the T-Maxx sucks because they had one a few years back, what I say to them is WAKE UP people they have changed many things on the T-maxx 3.3 thicker chassis which is now 4mm thick not 2.5 like the older vrs, they have added everything the revo has to the new T-Maxx 3.3, the only difference is that the revo's shocks are setup different and they only have 4 shocks instead of 8 and there chassis is setup way different and also thinner then the T-Maxx 3.3 before you buy what ever it is your going to REALLY compare them both, look at the underside of a revo, where the muffler is set on the revo look at the whole picture which NO ONE here will post a picture of a revo all the way around underside and all, WHY ? because if you look at it, it's screaming for breakage, but here is a few pics of my T-Maxx 3.3, as I said The T-Maxx 3.3 is the best truck you can get with the upgrades I stated above

I have a tmaxx that is built, even stronger then yours, chassis is 6.35mm's and i have some titanium , theres very few stock peices left on my truck, and i still say REVO. i own both now, and dont get me wrong the t maxx is a great truck, but if i could do it over again i would have not bought a t maxx and dumped all the money in upgrades into it. i probably woulda just got a revo, now that i know first hand how good they are.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
VXL BURRITO

That's what I wanna hear Nighthawk. You have both and the Revo is better. I'm still doing some research on the Revo and it looks like the truck for me.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Mspeed

I remember when I was trying to decide which one to replace my Savage with a few years back and was difficult cause you get so much misleading info. Over the years its gotten much easier to tell cause most of the guys who had or have T-maxx's have switched to the Revo so they can give you the real scoop on both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.