Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

engines ? Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Hawtree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engines ? Help

i have read where some people are taking the 3.3 engine out of the T Maxx and installing the os .18, i was just wandering why. is the os that much better?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
snoking16

Default RE: engines ? Help

yeah the OS is a way better motor. its very easy to tune, holds a tune and puts out more power then the 3.3 although the OS .18 TM is discontinued.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Hawtree

10-4, thanks what would you recomend?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
andrewdwhitney

i believe the os 21 tm will drop right in as well
Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Hawtree

thanks for your help, is .21 as easy to tune as the .18?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:24 PM
andrewdwhitney

i've personally never used the .21 tm, so i don't know. but i would think so
Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM
curbrash

The O.S is an awesome Motor if you can afford it, OFNA/Picco makes a drop in replacement for maxx trucks and its a .26 for about half the price.I have a picco .21 that has tons of power and seems to be pretty reliable so far.I also have a Dynamite Mach .28 in a Maxx,great engine but i was going through trannies like crazy.2 in one day! The picco .26 maxx is a great little engine for the price.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Hawtree

are the Piccos as easy to tune as the os's ? i want to switch engines but i am not sure which to choose. which one do you like the best?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
MIKEA46996

Its beacause the OS kicks the crap outta the 3.3!!!! To bad some genius at OS decided to cancel it. OS is the easiest to tune, holds a tune great and is super reliable. too bad the .21 is ungodly expensive. RB523 is also great, don't have any experience with the Picco yet but it should be super too.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
curbrash

O.S. makes THE best all around motor hands down,but unless your Bill Gates I think buying a Picco is the next best thing in my opinion.I have a Picco .21 in my Revo and it seems very reliable tuning wise and has plenty of power and @ $140 you cant go wrong,Plus the folks at OFNA were very helpful with all of my questions and sent me a part that I needed at no cost.I dont have any experience with the RB523 but heard its a great engine as well.STS also makes a decent engine for the money.There re a lot of decent engines out there,but if you want an O.S. its well worth the money if you can afford it.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
curbrash

http://www.ofna.com/eng-picco-26max.php

This is probably your best bet Hawtree,I also have a buddy with a Hyper .21 in his T-Maxx and it flies ! There are a ton of options but for the money OFNA/Picco Motors would be a great way to go.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Hawtree

i think i will go with the Picco, i appreciate you advice with this.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
curbrash

No Problem I am happy I could help.This is a relatively inexpensive drop in that will out perform the TRX 3.3 and you can get just about anywhere.Chances are if you have a HobbyTown USA nearby they have them in stock,be careful getting it off of E-Bay unless its factory sealed or OFNA wont honor the warranty in case something is wrong or its missing parts.If you dont have a HobbyTown, Nitrohouse.com works closely with OFNA and can get you anything OFNA makes.OFNA doesn't sell to the public so you will have to hunt down the best place to get it and a few medium OFNA/Picco glow plugs.My picco is more finicky with McCoys for some reason or other,The Picco plugs are less expensive and better quality anyway.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
HILLFINGER

ORIGINAL: Hawtree

i think i will go with the Picco, i appreciate you advice with this.

You will enjoy the Picco.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
fordguy2001

my friend had a 3.3 in his tmaxx. he was having problems with it he smashed it into the ground with a sledge hammer. then he bought an os eb mod 18tm. i was thinking on buying the same engine. is this a good engine?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MIKEA46996

Its beacause the OS kicks the crap outta the 3.3!!!! To bad some genius at OS decided to cancel it. OS is the easiest to tune, holds a tune great and is super reliable. too bad the .21 is ungodly expensive. RB523 is also great, don't have any experience with the Picco yet but it should be super too.
Indeed, i can concur with the Picco. I use to have a much older Picco in my 1/8 buggy, but it sadly bit the dust about 2 years or so ago. But while it was still good, it ran like a freakin raped ape outta heck!! I mean it had power up the wazoo!! So I think a Picco would not be a bad choice either.....
Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
cambrian

I upgraded to the Picco and I noticed a marked difference in accelleration. Only issues I had was I had to take it to Larry's and have them adjust it for me. They said the carb mount was a little loose. Watch for that when you get your Picco, their instructions are not very explecit. I'm about a half gallon into it and I do notice that it is not near as tempermental as the 3.3 was. I'm gonna get the radar gun out this w/e and see how fast it is. I was hitting 44 MPH with the old 3.3. I also changed the spur gear from a 54 t to a 56 t.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Hawtree

I was leaning toward the Picco, but the guy @ the local hobby shop says the RB 523 was an excelent motor and he would recomend it. He claims it has alot of power and i would do better with it. What do you guys think? Picco or RB? i am still green and have not had any experience with either motor.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
curbrash

I had a minor prob with the carb cinch bolt with mine.But a quick call to OFNA and a day later I had my part free of charge.They really stand behind their products as long as you're not an Idiot and abusing your ride.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:55 PM
curbrash

Does your hobby shop carry these engines regularly? Can you warranty through them? and whats the difference in price? These are the things I would ask and take into consideration no matter which engine you bought.I know nothing about the RB523,not saying its a bad engine but is it a direct drop in or do you have to buy a motor mount,spur gear and things like that to get ya going? Maybe I'm too anal but before I spend that much money I take everything into consideration.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Hawtree

yes they cary them regularly; but they can't keep them in stock because everyone is buying them. The Picco is around $199 and the RB is $275 they keep them both in stock.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
curbrash

Go with what you feel is best for you knowledge and pocket book,we could tell ya or try to convince ya which is best but only you can make that judgment.......keep us posted
Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 PM
NStampede Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hawtree

i have read where some people are taking the 3.3 engine out of the T Maxx and installing the os .18, i was just wandering why. is the os that much better?
Because they don't want to bother learning how to learn to tune a engine properly.
It is also mainly because this fourm is VERY anti-traxxas for some reason.[:'(][:'(]
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
RC 01 KID

You also should remember that the rb comes with an engine mount exhaust and header.... so i think thats the reason for the price difference....Im not sure but i think once you get those items they come out to be about the same price but im not sure....
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
RC 01 KID

And yes the traxxas engines are finicky but they ARE tunable you just have to be patient...