Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Steering problem with 3.3. Revo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering problem with 3.3. Revo

Ok I have a problem here that is seriously about to drive me to drink aka ITS MAKING ME CRAZY!!! basically; its that all the sudden whenever I turn my radio on(spektrum dx 3.0); and try to turn the wheels left or right, it seems as if something is binding on the bellcranks, or other part of the steering. However, when I completely take the steering cranks/rods off the part that moves left and right, and try and use my transmitter and turn the steering wheel left and right, both steering servos move freely(no binding at all) however, when i then put the steering crank rod ends back in place; something is causing it to bind up. Now I have tried removing the cranks, loosening the pivot balls a bit and even loosening the pivot ball caps a bit thinking they were binding against the pivot balls, but that appears not to be the case... Can someone PLEASE!!! for the life of me help me solve this one; cause in a moment Im about to take this revo and toss it out this 2nd floor window!!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 AM
HILLFINGER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering problem with 3.3. Revo

Check for binding in other areas also you may have a servo going bad which could be causing it to acts as if it is binding some where. Did you turn you wheels by hand when you removed the steering linkage to feel for binding ?

Here is a link that may help --> [link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=158&id=189]Steering binds[/link]
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: HILLFINGER

Check for binding in other areas also you may have a servo going bad which could be causing it to acts as if it is binding some where. Did you turn you wheels by hand when you removed the steering linkage to feel for binding ?

Here is a link that may help --> [link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=158&id=189]Steering binds[/link]
Yes, when I took the steering linkage off to look for binding; I tried to turn the wheels back and forth and they seemed to move freely. As for the servo thing I dont think it is a servo(s) because both servos move completely from travel end on one side to travel end on the other side when the linkage is taken off the bellcrank housing. What I am wondering is; is it possible its the big spring that sits under the mid-front skid/orotector plate is worn out; its that huge silver one in the front near the 2 steering servos....
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 AM
NitroVenom

The spektrum radio's will take a secound to find the trucks signal before you can even operate the truck. Just because of the broadband that the rasio is on. That big spring is the servo saver, I couldn't imagin that wearing out because it moves with the bellcrank. Is this only for the few secounds when you turn on the controller or through out use?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
matts6887

It seems to do this even after the transmitter is turned on for a few seconds and throughout use. Like I said before; it will bind/stick when the steering rods/linkage are connected to the bellcrank housing and the servos are trying to push/pull the linkage, but when I take the steering rods/linkage off the bellcrank housing, and let the servos try and move the steering rods/linkage; both servos seems to be working perfectly fine; they move freely from end to end.... I just wonder if its possible some of the bushings or bearings that could be worn out already....
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

are you trying to turn the wheels on the ground? if so lift up the front wheels and see then also what servos are you using? take one servo out of the picture and see if the wheels turn you could have one servo fighting you dont know why but its worth a shot. are your linkages set up right?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
matts6887

Well I think part of my problem here was the fact that indeed not only were my pivot balls too tight, I didnt have ball caps on the pivot balls. So, now what happens is it will turn, but it wont turn all the way when on the ground but will when I pick it up. Im probably gonna make a attempt today to go out and test it out and see if I didnt finally fix the problem....What I am wondering though; is if one or the other or possibly both servos are sloooowly starting to possibly get weak; as I do know that my stock steering servos do have a little over a gallon on them and so far up to this point anyway; they have stood up to everything I have been able to throw at them....
Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: matts6887

Well I think part of my problem here was the fact that indeed not only were my pivot balls too tight, I didnt have ball caps on the pivot balls. So, now what happens is it will turn, but it wont turn all the way when on the ground but will when I pick it up. Im probably gonna make a attempt today to go out and test it out and see if I didnt finally fix the problem....What I am wondering though; is if one or the other or possibly both servos are sloooowly starting to possibly get weak; as I do know that my stock steering servos do have a little over a gallon on them and so far up to this point anyway; they have stood up to everything I have been able to throw at them....
Any time I've had binding issues like that, I had a tight pivot ball cap.

I have about 5-5.5 gallons on my stock servos... still working great!