Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Glow plug issue's???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 AM
nitro vin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow plug issue's???

So what coiuld be causing my revo 3.3 to burn glow plugs up in a matter of minutes I had three of them go out. I have a pull start and it was taking it awhile to start is it possible that my igniter was on too long while i was trying to get it fired up or does it matter? Oh and I should mention that they are not black or excessive oil when i pull them, yet the motor has plenty smoke and power for the short lived runs. Any Ideas?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 AM
thesouth1

Default RE: Glow plug issue's???

Plenty of smoke?
Maybe running to rich, it will cause a flame out. Just a guess. Leaving the igniter on will not hurt the plug.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
pred192

ok this has happened to me. How old is the engine? what fuel do you run and what %? what is your HSN and LSN settings from closed? put a glowplug in the engine and try to turn the flywheel, is it hard to turn? if it is very easy to turn it is loss of compression. try turning your HSN back to 4 turns out from closed, your LSN flush with the inner ring and try driving. search for air leaks by taking the fuel line out of the fuel tank, block the air intake on the carb and the pressure line and blow through the fuel line, or you can get compressed air, run the engine and blow on the engine, or turn the engine on let it idle for a minute then take the air filter off and cover the air filter. if air seeps out when you blow you have a leak, if the engine changes in revs when you blow it with compressed air or if the engine runs even less than a second when you cover the air intake you have a leak. i had many poblems with my T-Maxx and i tried everything it turned out to be a chip in the piston witch caused a badly worn liner and fouled all my glow plugs
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thesouth1

Plenty of smoke?
Maybe running to rich, it will cause a flame out. Just a guess. Leaving the igniter on will not hurt the plug.
Actually its quite the opposite when referring to leaving the plug on; Doing that CAN and in fact a lot of times will cause the glow plug to burn out much much quicker than it otherwise could/should. But yes, running it too rich CAN in fact foul out the plug from too much fuel residue and the fact that the plug might not be getting hot enough to burn off the excess fuel.....
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM
youwish16

cant air leaks cause glow plugs to burn out too?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
nitro vin

Thanks guys for all the advice, I will give it a good look over and see where this leads hopefully not a new motor, but will see soon.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 AM
nitro vin

Ok so I ran my 3.3 revo earlier tonight, first I set it back to factory settings, and it took it forever to fire but it did and I warmed it up at the rich setttings and started to tune it too perform. It ran good once it was warm and I slowly leaned until i did not notice a change then went to lsn and got it in better shape, that is when the first glow plug went out, so I thought maybe it had been a little too rich for too long while I was tuning. Anyways so I put another plug in it and it would not start until richened it back up and gave it throttle while starting it, but when i did get running it ran fine. But when I shut it down to refill the tank it would not start again and the glow plug was bad again! I am baffled any more Ideas, could it be a air leak doing this, or a scored sleve? Or? Anymore advice? I'm running 20% Nitrotane and a hot plug. Motor has approx 2 gallons through it and seems to have a good feel when rolling it by hand. Also again the plug's are not blackend or oily when being pulled.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: nitro vin

Ok so I ran my 3.3 revo earlier tonight, first I set it back to factory settings, and it took it forever to fire but it did and I warmed it up at the rich setttings and started to tune it too perform. It ran good once it was warm and I slowly leaned until i did not notice a change then went to lsn and got it in better shape, that is when the first glow plug went out, so I thought maybe it had been a little too rich for too long while I was tuning. Anyways so I put another plug in it and it would not start until richened it back up and gave it throttle while starting it, but when i did get running it ran fine. But when I shut it down to refill the tank it would not start again and the glow plug was bad again! I am baffled any more Ideas, could it be a air leak doing this, or a scored sleve? Or? Anymore advice? I'm running 20% Nitrotane and a hot plug. Motor has approx 2 gallons through it and seems to have a good feel when rolling it by hand. Also again the plug's are not blackend or oily when being pulled.
What type (cold-medium plug) and brand glow plug you using? How do you check your temps? Also what fuel are you using? My Sirio .23TM is very picky about plugs, if I put a medium (P7 medium) plug in it overheats bad. If I put a cold plug (P8=cold plug) it runs perfect and temps are easily manageable. When I first got this motor I used an ultra hot P3, my Sirio .23 overheated in idle. [sm=lol.gif] Not a very good break-in, the nice thing about turbo plugs is its harder for fuel to splash around the coil or glow element.