Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New 3.3 Engine idles high and runs lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM
n19htmare
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3.3 Engine idles high and runs lean

I dunno what it is, I checked for leaks and really can't figure it out.

Put in my new 3.3 and went to the break in. Right away I knew something was wrong because it was idling rather high (the idle gap is stock, about 1mm). HSN is 4 1/2 turns out from close and the LSN is at stock setting, A little bit out from flush.

it reached 250 deg on IDLE...... At 4 1/2 turns out, it should be spewing out oil at idle but nothing. no oil, it only spits out oil if i rev it a little.

The only thing that's old on it is the header and exhaust that I carried over from my 2.5... i couldn't find any leaks but there must be.... what can I do?

When I took it on the street, at 1/2 throttle it ran fine, plenty of smoke and i could tell it was running rich. But at full throttle, it screams and I know it's lean just from the sound it makes.

At 4 1/2 turns on HSN , past the flush on LSN, it's pulling wheelies...... There has to be a leak but WHERE!

By the way, break instructions are being from This thread by FuelMan 3-4 posts down. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2786285/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
bmwnla

Default RE: New 3.3 Engine idles high and runs lean

try richening the low speed
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
RenegadeRevo

Sounds like either an air leak (have you changed your fuel line??... how old is your fuel tank o-ring?) or what he said ^^
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
n19htmare

New Fuel lines....

Fuel tank is still the old one from 2.5 but the seal is TIGHT. I'm very positive that is not the issue but to be sure, I will retro-fit the Savage tank (which is brand new) onto the Tmaxx and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea.

Would a leak in the header area cause this? I looked my header over and it seems to be good but Maybe I am missing it so just wondering.... I thought if there was something amiss in the header area, that it would leak oil or smoke would come out but that area is CLEAN.

I think tomorrow I'm also gonna take the carb off and seal it with some high temp silicone.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 PM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: n19htmare
Would a leak in the header area cause this? I looked my header over and it seems to be good but Maybe I am missing it so just wondering.... I thought if there was something amiss in the header area, that it would leak oil or smoke would come out but that area is CLEAN.
It would throw the tune off, yes... since the fuel runs on pressure from the exhaust, any pre-release of exhaust before it hits that pressure line would create the same type of symptoms as an airleak in the fuel system. I would think you'd see some signs of a leak.... unburnt oil, dust, something....

I've had one heck of a time with the fuel tank in my Revo. I decided to buy my own O-rings... and I get a REALLY tight seal (so tight I have to PUSH the lid closed... and it *POP*'s when I open it... ) However, if something gets screwed up on that seal, it throws everything off.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

New Fuel lines....

Fuel tank is still the old one from 2.5 but the seal is TIGHT. I'm very positive that is not the issue but to be sure, I will retro-fit the Savage tank (which is brand new) onto the Tmaxx and see if that helps. Thanks for the idea.

Any other ideas?
Yes, if u have a leak in the exhaust/header area that u cant see, then yes that is something that could cause a unusually high idle and temps like u are experiencing. If ur fuel tank is the old one from ur old engine, I would still take it off, put it in a sink full of water and blow into either of the 2 fuel lines and check for hairlines cracks that u cant see. Also check the gasket(s)/o-ring(s) that sit under the carb, and on the backplate for possible nics and/or tears as that too will cause a leak.