Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Having problems w/ the engine running in my Revo 3.3???

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Having problems w/ the engine running in my Revo 3.3???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
VXL BURRITO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems w/ the engine running in my Revo 3.3???

Well, what happened is after I broke it in my brother gave it 1/2 turn from the high speed needle to richen it(horribly wrong thing to do) so it flooded. So I started having problems from there. Now to my current position, the engine will start but will idle for a little bit. I give it gas and then it dies(and gas was dripping out of the pipe). I got it running for like 5 seconds and then it just bogged down and died. I brought it over and tried to empty and pipe to see if any fuel was coming out, and wow. There was a little puddle in the pipe(kinda). I got a good 15 drips of gas from the pipe just before I brought it in.

It sounds like it's rich but when I lean it out it seems like it's getting worse. I'm not sure though. Any help please?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: Having problems w/ the engine running in my Revo 3.3???

air leak somewhere?
thats what it sounds to me happened to my rustler no way to get it to run good. ended up being fuel tank lid.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
RCCanuck

way rich dude.....lean it out to get it started then you can richen it if you have to.....problem is its not getting up to temp to be able to tune...it needs to be warmed up and run full throttle runs after every turn of the needles
Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
VXL BURRITO

My brother said blown gasket maybe but we would need to look better. I will check that out too.

UPDATE: If I let it sit for a little bit, I can start it up and it will run fine for a good 30 seconds then it will die down and will idle really low for like 3-5 seconds then die.

EDIT: forgot about this: At times if I turn the throttle trim all the way up and get it started, it will idle fine and won't even take off, but I can give it full throttle and it will just sit there and rev up and it bogs the whole time. And I can still just let it sit there WOT. It won't even move.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:56 PM
VXL BURRITO

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

way rich dude.....lean it out to get it started then you can richen it if you have to.....problem is its not getting up to temp to be able to tune...it needs to be warmed up and run full throttle runs after every turn of the needles
How much should I lean it out? After it's 4 turns from closed. What about low end, do I need to worry about that?

If you have AIM that would be cool.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM
[email protected]

ok aim me same as screenname.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
VXL BURRITO

My screen name is: XiT ToxiKHazarD

I added MJAsony2305, and you're not on if that's your screen name.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there VXL Burrito, check ur private messages. I sent u one also...
Old 04-05-2008, 08:57 PM
VXL BURRITO

Now my truck locked up on me... I just went out to run it and here are some pics of what locked up. it's the gear and it's connected to that metal thing and rubbing hard against the other metal plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70057.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	922670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30595.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	922671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13481.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	922672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75777.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	922673  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:30 PM
VXL BURRITO

UPDATE: nevermind about the locking up part. There was a rock between the flywheel and another part. You can see it in 3 of the 4 pics.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Mspeed

Did you get it running yet?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
VXL BURRITO

Nope, MJAsony gave me a good tip though. He said to turn everything back to factory settings(which I had already done) then to start it and lift it off the ground and give it gas for 5-10 seconds so that it will get rid of the crap in the engine. Then run it around until it hits about 225 degrees. then start to lean it out.

Well, I was doing what he said and i was driving it around for about 35-45 seconds(which is good because it didn't last that long before) and all the sudden BAM! I hear a snap or pop and my Revo just locked up on me. but I got that finally fixed but it was already too dark to run the Revo. I'm gonna do it tomorrow again in the morning. But not too early. Don't wanna wake up people driving this thing down the road .
Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Mspeed

If your really rich like that, you will probably have to keep the throttle down a fair amount to keep the engine running and clear the motor out by reving it a bit (like MJAsony said) every few sec. so it wont load up on you and stall. You should see alot of blue smoke come out when you rev the motor if its loading up on you. The important thing is to get the high speed needle adjusted first, while keeping the LSN rich. After you get the HSN adjusted then you can work on the LSN to prevent the load up at idle.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 PM
VXL BURRITO

I ran it this morning and got it going for a couple minutes, but it hit 290 so I turned it off. Then I got it running pretty good again, so I went to try n' have a little fun. I got in some dirt and slowed down a little, then I gave it some throttle(maybe 1/2-3/4) and turned the wheel trying to spin out a little bit and it just died. Why would that happen?

Later on it kept dying on me like before, so I think my problem may just have to do w/ tuning. I'm a beginner with the whole tuning thing. I was leaning the HSN out and it was giving me better results it seemed like.

One big thing... When it got warmed up. Like 180 or higher, if I lifted it off the ground it would rev up really high and almost like shift by itself. If I put it on the ground I had to hold the break or it would take off by itself(not very fast). The throttle trim wasn't on. I turned the idle speed down(about 1/4) counterclockwise and that didn't help. It idled high, and hit like 200-210 degrees by just idling and I don't think that's normal. I gave it a little gas here and there for like 1 second while it was idling and picked it up off the ground and let it take off by itself. Hit 200-210.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:52 PM
matts6887

Well it sounds like u got it going much better than it was before; even if its not perfect; just keep at the tuning thing and u will get it down pat sooner or later(hopefully sooner than later of course). Practice makes perfect when it comes to tuning, etc; just be sure when u are leaning out either needle, that u dont go too lean on either needle; because that can make it want to start to get warm when at idle and lower speeds....
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Mspeed

Take the air filter off and check the throttle opening in the carb. The opening in the carb when your not on the throttle should be about .5 to 1mm. Get a allen wrench about the size of a credit card in diameter and put it down in the opening to check it. IF it is open too far you need to check your throttle linkage first to make sure it is closing up against the throttle stop screw, then if that checks out just continue to unscrew your throttle stop screw till your in that range. If all is correct with the throttle you can richen the LSN to bring that temp of 210 down some at idle. Even if the LSN is flush in factory setting, sometimes you will have to richen some more to bring down your idle, that is normal as you start to lean out your high speed needle. If your LSN is set too lean, yes your temps can get way too high at ldle and the truck could engage the clutch and move. Too lean of a LSN will mislead you on setting your HSN. When you do a high speed run and come up and check temps, they will just rise up as you rest at a idle and you will never really see what they were during or just as you come out of the high speed run.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:34 PM
VXL BURRITO

I took a look at the carb and tried to put an allen wrench in there that is .5mm and it didn't fit in that little gap on the left. I don't understand how to open it up?

NEW UPDATE: I just tried to start my car for a couple minutes and it didn't even start. The E-Z start got hot so I just stopped. I'm glad to see that it won't even start now. I'm really thinking it's the glowplug now. I ordered one today so it should be in by at the latest friday.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Mspeed

to open up the carb, just tighten the idle stop screw on the side of the carb; however, since your idle was already high, that probably isnt the issue, your LSN is probably too lean. Make sure you get the right glow plug or your tunning will be even more difficult. If your running 20% nitro, I would recommend a Mcoy mc-59 plug, or the traxxas 3232 stock plug.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
VXL BURRITO

I got this glow plug: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPYB4
Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Mspeed

Thats the one that comes with your motor, good choice. I like that plug cause its good for 20% all the way to 33% nitro. I have found the mc-59 a bit more powerful, but you have to run 20% or you will burn it out. The mc-59 is a little bit hotter plug and advances the timing just a bit more.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
VXL BURRITO

I tried to go out and run it again, and noticed that it needed to be primed. Wll, that was all so it started. It's still not running very well, so I'm gonna wait till I get that glow plug in to start running it again.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: VXL BURRITO

I tried to go out and run it again, and noticed that it needed to be primed. Wll, that was all so it started. It's still not running very well, so I'm gonna wait till I get that glow plug in to start running it again.
Indeed I too would wait if I were u; simply because more than likely it is ur plug thats almost, if not totally toast....