Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Which one ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
kenali
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one ???

Ok, this is my first post in the Tmaxx forum. Recently I just bough my self a second hand tmaxx 3.3, then I was reading this forum and I saw that you guys are recommanded getting the Robinson's Racing Steel Spur/Bell Combos, and my question is there is two option, one is T-Maxx 3.3 Harened Steel Combo. 42T Spur and 19T Clutchbell, and second is T-Maxx 3.3 Harened Steel Combo. 44T Spur and 18T Clutchbell, so I really have no idea which one to get for my stock engine ( 3.3 ), but I was thinking to buy the O.S 18TM ( second hand ) to swap it, you think the Robinson's Racing Steel Spur/Bell Combos can work with these engine also?? I am a newbie in this hobby and forum hope you guys can give me a good advise here...

Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 AM
RCCanuck

Default RE: Which one ???

yes they can...the OS 18TM is designed as a drop in engine for the Tmaxx so the mount,header,clutch and starting systems are all interchangeable...I would caution you on buying a used engine though.....you are far better off buying new when it comes to the engine.....is something wrong with the 3.3? if not drive it until she poops on you.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
systemlord

The OS .18TM puts out serious power, but buying a second hand engine is a no no in my book! If you go for the OS .18TM, be prepared for lots of back flips. My brother had that engine, at 20mph if he hit full throttle it would back flip onto his pretty truck body.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
SAVAGEJIM

I buy second hand engines also, but I do so with the expectation that I have to rebuild it, so whenever buying a used engine, always buy it very CHEAP, because there are some low lifes that would put an absolute lemon for sale. So, if you buy a used engine for $20 and find that the block is cracked (the engine is junk, it can never be rebuilt or used again), you are not out $100 some of these rip-offs charger for used engines.

Aside form the ebay low-lifes selling used ngines at inflated prices, whenever you get any used engine, tear it down completely and inspect it thoroughly, buy the piston and sleeve rebuild kits (you might even have to get a new conrod, crank, & bearings, carb rebuild kit, etc.) then rebuild it to like-new status. Dont overspend getting an engine rebuild, the sum of the money you spnd on too many replacement parts will exceed the cost of simply buying the engine brand new in box. If the engine requires more money to fix, tear it down and use the good parts as spares (such as the carb, maybe the back plate and block, the heat sink if it is not too ratty, and so forth).
Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kenali

...but I was thinking to buy the O.S 18TM ( second hand ) to swap it...
Th OS TM is a good engine and many Traxxas racers race with this engine.

Now, if you are willing to box-start your Traxxas, I stongly suggest you get the OS .18TZ, this is serious beast of an engin for just about any Traxxas. You will not be disappointed with the power output of this engine.

If you are still getting used to controlling you vehicle, I say stay with your TRX3.3 and practice with that engine (dribving, contolling, tuning, etc.). That way, when you eventually get a more powerful smallblock to replace the TRX3.3, you will have at least built up a decent amount of skill to control the crazy power.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
kenali
My Feedback: (6)

Thank you for your reply. I just got my 3.3 last Thursday, since that night I spend time to tear everythings out of the chassis ( beside the transmmission ) cleaning and lube the bearings. As for the stock engine I haven't start it yet, so I really don't know how is the engine goes! But the seller told me he bought the truck brand new in January 2008 and the engine been through about a gallon and a half, when I take off the engine heat sink the piston is kind like very lightly yellow color, is that normal?? So what would you recommend me If I want to buy a new engine??