Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

clutch bell gettin realy hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
molsen3385
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch bell gettin realy hot?

Hey guys Im here again i got my throttle servo all hooked up and squared away and went to run today and it was taking off on its own and when my buddy fellers went to look at it the clutch bell was realy hot. I figured shot clutch but I took the engine off popped the c clip and off came the clutch bell to reveal an ok clutch. put clutch bell back on and spun it, it spun but for a few rotations def. not like it spun before. before i could spin it once and it would keep spinning for a good min now i spin it and it spins for a second. Does this mean the clutch bell bearing is shot? If so is the clutch still good if this is the case? It looks to be ok to my eyes.Anything I should check guys
Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Nighthawk z450

Default RE: clutch bell gettin realy hot?

sounds like you may have to ajust your clutchbell/spur gear mesh.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
[email protected]

mine gets hott and there is nothing wrong wit my mesh its normal its a moving part.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo it could possibly be ur bearing is shot; but i would also not just check the bearing; check ur clutch shoes and springs for possibly binding as well....
Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM
molsen3385

k well what should I look for (wear) on the clutch and the spring? I am using the MIP clutch shoes and the orginal spring from the traxxas clutch because the spring from the origanal MIP clutch stretched right out so i inter changed the springs. Is that ok? I am getting a new clutch bell and bearings in the mail tomarow so I will check them out. it is the robinson 16 tooth clutch bell with 40 tooth plastic spur gear. As for the gear meshing goes it was set up pretty good so the meshing shouldn't be the problem. And when it got hot it got REAL hot. Def. wasn't normal.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Mspeed

Sounds like your clutch bearings are trashed enough to create a wobble when the crank spins forcing the clutch to engage the bell a bit. I highly recommend reversing your clutch shoes, if you have not already, to lower the heat build up, extend clutch life and bearing life.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Mspeed

My stock clutch survived a axial .32 BB with it reversed on 18/36 gearing. Most guys eat the stock clutch up and burn out bearings left and right with bb motors.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
molsen3385

K so do the clutch shoes have a right way of going on as in front and back? If so how do you tell wich way is right and wich was is reversed. And how do i tell if these shoes now are shot. they seem to look ok to my eye. And how do I tell if the clutch bell bearing is shot? Thanx for all the info guys its realy helpful
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: molsen3385

K so do the clutch shoes have a right way of going on as in front and back? If so how do you tell wich way is right and wich was is reversed. And how do i tell if these shoes now are shot. they seem to look ok to my eye. And how do I tell if the clutch bell bearing is shot? Thanx for all the info guys its realy helpful
1. the clutch direction doesn't matter
2. the clutch is shot if the clutch shoes have worn over the clutch spring or if the spring is really loose (you would be able to tell)
3. i don't know about the bearings. my suggestion would be to clean them and see if they run smoother or not
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
molsen3385

K thanx alot. Shoes look good then next question is if the sping was stretched out can i just replace the spring or does that mean the whole clutch shoes are shot? If you read a few previous post up it happened before and i just replaced the spring. Was this ok? Lube the bearing and they spill alil better but have new ones coming tomarow so just gona use the new ones but just wanted to see if this would work.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:33 PM
nitro stan

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...tch-tuning.asp

replace the spring, shoes and bearings, and make sure the mesh in not to tight
Old 04-08-2008, 10:37 PM
molsen3385

Awesome link very informational. Thanx alot nitro stan
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
systemlord

It sound like your clutch is engaging too soon, if you use a Traxxas clutch use a Traxxas spring. I just bought a new three shoe clutch system and the springs are not interchangable. Its good pratice to use parts that are designed to work together using the same brand clutch systems and springs, when you start interchanging parts like that you can only cause trouble for yourself. Hell I have to machine my tapered cone that holds my flywheel on the engine shaft, because its an aftermarket part there are small differences. My flywheel sits way too far out on the shaft to make the e-clip to have enough room to fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54030.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	925689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83812.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	925690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72996.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.6 KB